69 Mystery - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 2:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: 69 Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
You're putting to much emphasis in all of that being factory.
Those quarters could have easily been changed in the 80's-90's, trunk paint added. I put two quarters on my car. No holes. What's the big deal?
I specifically said "with original panels." If quarters have been replaced, then the reasoning doesn't hold up.

And while you may disregard GM documentation such as the assembly manual, and argue that quality control issues could be the reason for a car not receiving Malibu emblems, I don't agree with that. Try making that argument at sites where they take originality and documentation seriously, such as yenko.net. We've heard those arguments from the cloners and deniers for a long time, and they don't hold up.

This is the last thing I'm posting on this thread.

Rainer
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

1969 Chevelle SS396 L78 M22 4:10 Tuxedo Black
1970 LS3 Malibu 400 BB convertible
1970 LS3 Malibu 400 BB coupe
1970 Chevelle 300 series LS3 400 BB coupe, special order Monaco Orange
1970 Chevelle Concours Estate LS3 400 BB wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 2:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
I specifically said "with original panels." If quarters have been replaced, then the reasoning doesn't hold up.

And while you may disregard GM documentation such as the assembly manual, and argue that quality control issues could be the reason for a car not receiving Malibu emblems, I don't agree with that. Try making that argument at sites where they take originality and documentation seriously, such as yenko.net. We've heard those arguments from the cloners and deniers for a long time, and they don't hold up.

This is the last thing I'm posting on this thread.

Just like GM never painted an evening orchid Camaro right?

Just like the two pilot chevelles are still around? Those parts are extremely rare being they were the first. Of course, they were to be destroyed right?

Why are there Baltimore Malibu's with the L on the tag and why are there SS's without the L?

As a person who has modified his Malibu to look like what you call a clone, I am not trying to decieve anyone, however, unless those areas are sanded off, and extensive research done, that car, because every part of it has been touched, is not an SS.

How do you know, the OP, didn't set this up?

Just a couple weeks ago there was a thread with someone who insisted he had an ultra rare engine...of course we are still waiting for pictures which he never produced.

I would also like to add, I have an original can of GM splatter paint from a long time ago...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 2:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

300 deluxe didnt have Malibu emblems either.

post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 3:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Factory swapped parts?
Say it isnt so!

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/45-...ss-grille.html

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/60-...ss-emblem.html

IT DONT HAPPEN!

post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 4:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

70 LS6 not an SS.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/15-...-69-z28-2.html

Post 48.

Are these guys cloners, decieving?

post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 4:50 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Its about building a "mosaic" to the authenticity or origin , of any particular car. GM wasnt perfect, but they did do things rather repetitively, and then even the changes were chronologically or operationally rational. So I wouldnt much get in a peeing contest over one off odd things that may have occured, and the process of building a mosaic to tell the fullest story. They truly arent two different things.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 5:55 PM Thread Starter

Couple things to note, IF the quarters were replaced at some point BOTH were done. Extremely unlikely as I have been inside, underneath etc., and I know what to look for....these are factory. I agree that there is no point spending money assuming anything as nothing is prove-able at this point. I hoped there would be some definitive answers based on the FACTORY quarters, but I give up.
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 6:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Its about building a "mosaic" to the authenticity or origin , of any particular car. GM wasnt perfect, but they did do things rather repetitively, and then even the changes were chronologically or operationally rational. So I wouldnt much get in a peeing contest over one off odd things that may have occured, and the process of building a mosaic to tell the fullest story. They truly arent two different things.
Oh I get that car has to Paint a story in this case. But we can't go from quarter panels with no Malibu emblem holes right to SS, COPO and yenko...the results are a thread in the future where someone gets ripped off...
We see that all the time.

post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 6:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwagn View Post
Couple things to note, IF the quarters were replaced at some point BOTH were done. Extremely unlikely as I have been inside, underneath etc., and I know what to look for....these are factory. I agree that there is no point spending money assuming anything as nothing is prove-able at this point. I hoped there would be some definitive answers based on the FACTORY quarters, but I give up.
Could it be something as simple as a 300 Deluxe with a replaced Vin number, or trim tag?

Perhaps it is an SS, but I think a lot more research has to be done in order for you to claim that and you may have to deal with any backlash if it really isn't

post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 6:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwagn View Post
Another question...
Are you stripping the paint? Maybe you could look for trim stud location or filled holes.

post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 7:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I for one, am always intrigued by the '69 model year. I'd suspect many others share this tug for the same reasons, you have to really study the cars to be confident in what you're looking at.
I'd hope the OP follows through, whether now or at a later date. You're not going to get all the answers in detail on this thread due to the risk that Dean suggested. You'll have to do the work. That's the beauty of that premise, if you don't do the work, your chances of answering your questions will be based on what others tell you. That gets pretty muddy when it comes to the '69 model. If you study these cars in their originality, the evidence is there but forgers don't like to work that hard, they just want to grab the welder, hunt parts and make the car pass the smell test and get their dirty money. I can't tell by a post who the OP is, no insult intended.
Also, it's becoming much more difficult to study these cars since parts cars don't exist on Craigslist for under $1000 in this age.
So don't just fade away like so many others that have asked the same questions, get hooked like the rest of us and jump in.
Dean, fishhead and kermitsass like this.
post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 19, 10:22 PM
Mike

About the Malibu letters on the rear quarters, the web site chevellestuff has pictures of this.
Was this possibly only from some plants?
Mike
fishhead likes this.
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 1:21 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Agree with some of the post very possible it was rear ended 40 -50 years ago and the quarters were replaced...300 model possible if tags were changed, only if your car could talk you'll find the answers of why and where.
No matter how you build it purist will always consider it a malibu unless you have documents, so build it however you want whether you pro touring with an ls engine, pro street, stock or SS clone whatever your taste is just enjoy it.
To many people have turned this hobby into greed from what it was 30 years ago.

Jim
fishhead likes this.

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
69 Dodge Charger Rt
post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 9:55 AM Thread Starter

This is number 20 in the lineup of Chevelles over the years for me, I am a dedicated Chevelle nut, and of any year made 69 is my favorite followed closely by 66. I have owned multiple true 138VIN cars, one 68 SS that was original top to bottom I took from start to finish. I purchased this car and another 69 sight unseen after searching for a couple months for one, on the same day! My desire was to build a turbo LS car, not to wild but fun. I realize its my car and I can do what I want with it, but hate to do that to a "potential" special car. I am 100% confident that the rear quarters are original to this body, who knows about the rest though. For now it will have to rest quietly while I build the LS in the other car. The mystery remains...................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 368 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.