Fisher Body sequence number double Check - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 8:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Fisher Body sequence number double Check

I want to verify two things on the 70 chevelle, the Fisher Body number on the tag and the VIN on the Body of the car.

The Fisher Body sequence number on the tag, -is there a copy of the sequence number stamped on the actual body of the car some place to verify a match?

The VIN Tag number, -is their a partial VIN number some where on the actual body of the car? I heard someplace on the firewall and on the rear of the Frame?

Thanks for the tips and help in advance!
Best regards
Jules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 9:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Fisher Body sequence number double Check

On most 66's there is a partial vin stamped on top of the frame either by the middle of the door and to the rear of the rear tire. All that means is the vin tag on the door pillar did or did not come with the frame. I have also heard of a stamp on the firewall on 70 chevelle's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 19, 9:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

The body number would be on the build sheet if you have one. The partial vin will be on the firewall behind the heater box. It will be upside down.

70 LS5 convertible

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 19, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Gentleman, Thank you for the help.

The body number wasn't recorded by the GM Oshawa plant they didn't use build sheets like the rest of the plants, unfortunately it's not on the report from VVS Inc.

Do you know if the partial VIN is also on the frame?

Best regards
Jules
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 19, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymalibubu72 View Post
Do you know if the partial VIN is also on the frame?
Partial VIN is stamped on the top of the frame on a '66, as noted by Jim, and on a '68. You didn't say what year you are asking about, but assuming that it is a '72, I think that there is a good change the partial VIN is on a '72 too.

Greg

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 19, 7:56 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Guess few actually read your post. The body number (sic) on the trim tag depends on what plant the car was built at.
Atlanta - Body number on tag is matched in box 8 of the build sheet,
Baltimore - Body number on tag is NOT body number shown on build sheet but rather the first 6 digits of the data processing number in box 24.
Van Nuys - Body number on tag is like Atlanta
Flint - Body number on tag is found on Chassis and Body Broadcast Copy sheets.
Kansas City - Body number on tag is like Baltimore.

See 1970 Chevelle Trim Tags for examples of some plants tags vs. build sheet body number locations.

The body number on the tag is not stamped anywhere on the body or chassis.

There is a partial VIN normally stamped on the firewall behind the heater box as noted and was supposed to be stamped on the frame but that didn't always happen - should also be stamped on the transmission case. See Partial VIN Locations for examples.

Quote:
I want to verify two things on the 70 chevelle, the Fisher Body number on the tag and the VIN on the Body of the car.

The Fisher Body sequence number on the tag, -is there a copy of the sequence number stamped on the actual body of the car some place to verify a match?

The VIN Tag number, -is their a partial VIN number some where on the actual body of the car? I heard someplace on the firewall and on the rear of the Frame?

Thanks for the tips and help in advance!
Best regards
Jules

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 8:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Dale, my KC car has the body number in box 8 and box 24. Is that not normal for KC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_133143.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	587900   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150608_172654.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	587902  

70 LS5 convertible
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Thanks Dale, the VIN location link is perfect.

Just to clarify.
1970 model year.
Car built in the Oshawa plant, no build sheets thrown into the car.

If one was lucky that they recorded the data internally, when ordering the options sheet from V.V.S Inc. it would be on it.

this is what I received...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	587912   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	587914  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 11:08 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Yes

* Author:

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 11:13 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Thanks Dale, the VIN location link is perfect.

Just to clarify.
1970 model year.
Car built in the Oshawa plant, no build sheets thrown into the car.

If one was lucky that they recorded the data internally, when ordering the options sheet from V.V.S Inc. it would be on it.

this is what I received...
Ohsawa did not use a typical U.S.-style broadcast sheet, that is true. They are often found with what is called a "Line Schedule Tag"

http://chevellestuff.net/1970/bs/os/line_tag_os01.jpg

One can normally get documentation from VVS for any car built in or originally sold in Canada. From what I've been told, Canada law requires information to be retained on all vehicles. VVS is not formally associated with GM of Canada but has a deal with them to have access to the records. Hence they can research any vehicle by its VIN and provide the information they do.

Looks like a nicely optioned car. Is it in my LS5 Registry?
© INTERNATIONAL LS5 REGISTRY

* Author:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Dale, I don't believe it is. I see 4 listed. this one was a Nov/69 build (ends with ...1799) and was a GM account car for 3 yrs. We have all the original ss equipment except for the motor, transmission and driveshaft. We are confirming if the body/frame is indeed the originals. It was in a collision around 82-83, insurance write-off (buckled frame driver side)that's when my brother purchased it as a parts car. Sold the gutted body/frame to a guy who wanted the quarter panels. Fortunately, the car survived the lynching and is now a parked rat-rod. Still hunting for the motor and transmission or what's left of it. If we can't get the motor/trans/driveshaft I'm not sure if it would qualify for your registry?? I just picked up a 502HO NOS for $5K yesterday, of course it's not without it's headaches to get this properly fitted into the Chevelle along with a Tremec TKO 600 5 Speed.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 12:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Dale, I don't believe it is. I see 4 listed. this one was a Nov/69 build (ends with ...1799) and was a GM account car for 3 yrs. We have all the original ss equipment except for the motor, transmission and driveshaft. We are confirming if the body/frame is indeed the originals. It was in a collision around 82-83, insurance write-off (buckled frame driver side)that's when my brother purchased it as a parts car. Sold the gutted body/frame to a guy who wanted the quarter panels. Fortunately, the car survived the lynching and is now a parked rat-rod. Still hunting for the motor and transmission or what's left of it. If we can't get the motor/trans/driveshaft I'm not sure if it would qualify for your registry?? I just picked up a 502HO NOS for $5K yesterday, of course it's not without it's headaches to get this properly fitted into the Chevelle along with a Tremec TKO 600 5 Speed.
The registry is only concerned with whether a car was 'born' a specific way; in this case, was it born as an LS5 car? Current engine/trans/etc. configuration is not relevant as far as the registry is concerned. There are quite a number of modified Chevelles (and Novas/Camaros/etc.) in my other registries as well. Having paperwork showing the car (by its VIN) is an LS5 car certainly qualifies it for the LS5 Registry. Same holds true for others like my LS6 Registry (many have replacement engines), my SS396 Registry, etc.

* Author:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Jules, with the November 28, 1969 ship date, your car will be recognized as the earliest known LS5 Chevelle in the registry. I have just changed my signature, relinquishing that title.

70 LS5 convertible
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jules

Mike, you got me chuckling... :-) I'm not looking to take the title away, this is just personal history between my brother, this car and I that we are trying to recover. In 77 (16 yrs old) I bought my first car 72 chevelle 307cid. Sold to my brother who made a SS clone using this 70 Chevelle parts car. ( IF HE ONLY NEW THE FUTURE!!! LOL ) I had it back for a short stint, now his again. I purchased another 72 with 350cid as a project car while I was looking for something completely different - 60's convertible anything. Guess my heart is with the 72, well could have been 71 or 70 too. One of my other brothers had a 69 a few years (I was 13-14 yrs old) , but wrecked it in a roll. Not hurt, tried to hide the wreck from my dad, who at the time was working for the local police - whop poop poop poop. (that's siren sound) .

Dale, thanks for the clarification.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 19, 1:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

No big deal on the earliest title. It belongs to your brother now. This car also upends the notion that they were waiting for M22's since it had one on 11-28-69. I hope your brother is restoring the car. My car was possibly a company executive car also. It was delivered to the Bay city Michigan transmission plant instead of a dealer. It was also highly optioned. Keep us updated with you and your brothers progress with the car.

70 LS5 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in