build sheet - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

13Likes
  • 2 Post By Pioneer4x4
  • 4 Post By DaleM
  • 2 Post By DaleM
  • 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 2 Post By DUTCH MAX HEADWORK
  • 1 Post By Grandracer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 9:31 AM Thread Starter

build sheet

I know its wishful thinking but was wondering exactly where all build sheets were placed in a 69 Chevelle. I know under the seats and carpet sometimes under the door panel but seems they have been apart before, so was hoping maybe somewhere else that someone hasn't been. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 9:57 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: build sheet

From the Kansas City plant (for future readers)

I've looked everywhere except above the headliner in my KAN 69 and never found one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: build sheet

Pisses me off have the same thing on my 70 L-78 nova that I bought off a friend who bought it new. He said he never removed one and I never found one, but at least on that one I have full documentation. Damm you GM

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 11:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

On top of the gas tank and inside of body panels are two other possibilities.

70 LS5 convertible
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

And GM never "placed them" they were more of "discarded" there as part of the assembly process by the guys on the line, correct?
I understand some were attached to parts like seats so then ended up in the right car at the right time.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 12:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I understand that finding a build sheet in a '69 Chevelle that was assembled in Baltimore (like mine) is quite rare.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 1:13 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
And GM never "placed them" they were more of "discarded" there as part of the assembly process by the guys on the line, correct?
I understand some were attached to parts like seats so then ended up in the right car at the right time.
Ditto. Assembly plants didn't "hide" them in a car to be discovered years later in a treasure hunt. Varies with year and plant where one might find one, two, or even three. Sub-assembly stations would attach them to the door panel, on top of the gas tank, stuff them in the headliner, cram them under the driver side footwell, hog ring them to underside or back of seats, anywhere they could either by plant SOP or just so they didn't have trash at their station.

1969 was a transition year for many plants going from the BODY/CHASSIS BROADCAST COPY sheets to a single broadcast copy (commonly called a build sheet today). Fremont and Framingham were using the common build sheet as far back as 1965 that I know of along with things like a PASSENGER CAR BROADCAST COPY or PRODUCTION BROADCAST NOTE.

To date, I've found that both KC and Baltimore used both BODY BROADCAST COPY/CHASSIS BROADCAST COPY paperwork as well as build sheets. Some 1969 are found on my old website ChevelleStuff.net on page 1969 Chevelle Build Sheet. On that page, there are links to other years (1964 thru 1972) showing examples found for various Chevelle plants.

I've had contact with gentlemen that have found Buick build sheets in the KC Chevelle. Another found 3 build sheets in his 70 - problem was they were for 3 different Chevelles (in sequential order) and none were his car; one a 13669 Malibu sedan, one a 13680 El Camino, and one 13337 Chevelle sport coupe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3sheets.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	584668  

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 1:15 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
I understand that finding a build sheet in a '69 Chevelle that was assembled in Baltimore (like mine) is quite rare.
1969 Baltimore build sheets:
1969 Baltimore Chevelle Build Sheet

1969 Baltimore broadcast copy sheets:
1969 Baltimore Chevelle Build Sheet

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 4:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Thanks for those examples, Dale. The only factory paper I found in my car was an "IBM" card under the rear seat springs that identified the interior code (755). When I tried to extricate the card in one piece it came apart near the center, having been pinched for 48 years by a seat spring.

I also found tags under the door panel that were glued to the steel inner doors. These had part numbers, identified the doors as to right and left and had "BAL" in large letters.

I am quite certain my dash pad and headliner are original, so there could yet be a Build or Broadcast sheet hidden on this car.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
or pasted to the backs of floor panels. Making removal pointless or tedious. It seems they would stack parts and used build sheets as a sort of pull list for a particular car. I can imagine a stack of parts in a bin or on a pallet with a build sheet to show its final destination. I can see this happening in various parts of the plant. If the build sheets were attached firmly enough and were not exposed at final inspection, they were left where they were at time of assembly.

I have heard of some build sheets found crumpled up in places like behind fenders or in the trunk drop off areas. I'm not sure I can document this, it's just hearsay.

I'm surprised no assembly worker has come forward to reveal the process. It's getting late in the game now, so many have probably moved on to a better place.
Pioneer4x4 and IFLY like this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 4:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Ditto. Assembly plants didn't "hide" them in a car to be discovered years later in a treasure hunt. Varies with year and plant where one might find one, two, or even three. Sub-assembly stations would attach them to the door panel, on top of the gas tank, stuff them in the headliner, cram them under the driver side footwell, hog ring them to underside or back of seats, anywhere they could either by plant SOP or just so they didn't have trash at their station
Thanks for responding Dale, I miss you around here. Stop by more often...please.
davewho1 and Saltherring like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 5:12 PM
Tech Team

My 69, which I purchased new, had one under the rear seat cushion that I remember, and one tucked in a hole in the right side frame above the front spindle. That's all I can remember from way back then. When the gas tank was dropped during the current restoration, most of the one placed on the top was salvageable, but still has critical areas missing.

Viz
Saltherring likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I would love to find one for my El Camino. I know everything that we changed over the last 22 years, but the 30 before that is unknown.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandracer View Post
My 69, which I purchased new, had one under the rear seat cushion that I remember, and one tucked in a hole in the right side frame above the front spindle. That's all I can remember from way back then. When the gas tank was dropped during the current restoration, most of the one placed on the top was salvageable, but still has critical areas missing.

Viz
Very cool that you bought a '69 new and still have it. '69 Chevelles have always been my favorite year of all but given they came out in the fall of '68 I was too young (and too broke) at 16 to buy one, so I owned a whole bunch of other years of Chevelles and quite a few Novas before finally happening across the car of my dreams 2 and one-half years ago. Hope you are still enjoying yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in