Earliest LS6 from Flint - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rick_Nelson

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 4:15 AM Thread Starter

Earliest LS6 from Flint

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find some info for a friend who has a 70' LS6 engine from what appears to be the Flint plant. Can someone please tell me what the earliest date of assembly of an LS6 would be from this plant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 19, 8:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Earliest LS6 from Flint

The earliest LS6 from Flint in the registry is 3rd week of March (3C).
© INTERNATIONAL LS6 REGISTRY

70 LS5 convertible
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. I now see that there is a Registry for the LS6 cars that have paperwork. Is there anyone that keeps records of the legit engines (original, non-restamped)? The engine that I’m speaking of is a December casting date with a mid-January 70 assembly date from Flint.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 1:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls1969 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I now see that there is a Registry for the LS6 cars that have paperwork. Is there anyone that keeps records of the legit engines (original, non-restamped)? The engine that Iím speaking of is a December casting date with a mid-January 70 assembly date from Flint.
I think Rick Nelson has a database of known LS6 cars (and fakes) and may have data on it. Rick can be reached through his website at

© MuscleCar Restoration and Design, Inc.

His email and phone are on the website.

Just an FYI, LS6 Chevelles have turned up with build dates as early as November 19, 1969 and, FWIW, the Flint, MI. plant did not use the 'conventional' build sheet other plants used but continued to use Body and Chassis Broadcast Copy sheets. The 03C LS6 in my LS6 Registry is just the earliest REGISTERED LS6 from Flint with documentation. There are certainly earlier ones from Flint but without some kind of paperwork verifying their LS6 status (such as Chassis Broadcast Copy sheet that has the proper engine code, warranty card [Protect-O-Plate], or some form of dealer paperwork they either (1) aren't accepted in my LS6 Registry or (2) current owners don't have paperwork or just don't wish to register them.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
I think Rick Nelson has a database of known LS6 cars (and fakes) and may have data on it. Rick can be reached through his website at

© MuscleCar Restoration and Design, Inc.
The earliest Flint LS6 I have in my database is 03C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
LS6 Chevelles have turned up with build dates as early as November 19, 1969.
Just an FYI, an even earlier Kansas LS6 Pilot car has now surfaced that is even earlier than Oliver P's Gold Pilot car. Never say never.
Rick

Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 10:33 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Nelson View Post
Just an FYI, an even earlier Kansas LS6 Pilot car has now surfaced that is even earlier than Oliver P's Gold Pilot car. Never say never.
Rick
Wish the owner would come forward with it.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

He is just being very cautious and wants to get as much information on the car before he comes out publicly with it to ward off all the naysayers. Shame he should have to do that being who he is but I cannot say I blame him.
427L88, augy and 67since67 like this.

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Rick, I'm curious if it had the "L"? Since Oliver's pilot and my early LS5 did not.

70 LS5 convertible
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 19, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

I do not know. As of this date I have only seen a photo of the engine stamping and nothing more and have not asked for any more.

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in