Help with identifying 70 SS or no?? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 9:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Help with identifying 70 SS or no??

Hey ALAN;
I found my Red Sta. Wgn. near Rome Italy. It was built for the King of Italy. I do not have any documents. Once a King always a King, Once a Knight is enough........
Bob
Andy's Auto Repair likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 19, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I see this is an automatic. All SS cars used the THM 400 trans. The firewall does not have the factory hole for the kickdown harness that would be present if it was a real SS. Based on what I see it looks like you have a clone. Sorry for the bad news.

Mark
1970 Chevelle SS, Black
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 19, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS96 View Post
Here are the follow up pics as promised along with codes found.hopefully someone can help decode. Curious about the partial vin below the blower motor? Engine, transmission, wheels are FW coded (71 Monte Carlo), and rear end are not original if I am decoding correctly. Radiator cover is 4 bolt, front signal lights are clear, kick down switch is in car, and I did not find Malibu trim holes on body or top of doors. Anything here look original? Originally a bench seat car so the automatic cutout in the floor pan is incorrect? I know I will never be able to prove anything but it has been a great learning experience so far.
Unless I'm not seeing things correctly, the partial VIN appears to be for a Flint built car yet the data you provided from your trim tag indicates Baltimore. Try to find the partial VIN stamped on the frame which should be on the top of the driver's side rear frame rail above the frame pn/mfr/date.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 19, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Looks like car was hit on the right side and that part of the firewall was repaired. I will check the frame again, the partial vin must be hard to find because I spent some time looking for it. Also, since this is a bench car, no way the auto cutout on the floor is factory? Has to be a column shift car originally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in