Chevelle Build Date - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaleM

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Chevelle Build Date

How can I tell my build date ? The door label says 1/71 and I believe Its original to the vehicle , but Is this considered the build date ? Its a 1971 Chevelle SS , thanks guys .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 5:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Chevelle Build Date

It is on the trim tag that is on the cowl area under your hood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 6:14 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf41 View Post
How can I tell my build date ? The door label says 1/71 and I believe Its original to the vehicle , but Is this considered the build date ? Its a 1971 Chevelle SS , thanks guys .

Here's a good resource: 1971 Chevelle Trim Tags

Are you familiar with build sheets?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 9:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Heres pictures of my door jamb label and cowl tag . I cant make out the date on the cowl tag and really dont want to disturb It as this Is a survivor car . I do have most of the build sheet . I found It under the rear seat and some of It Is missing , I did not see a build date on what I have .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2484.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	567289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2486.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	567297  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 9:23 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf41 View Post
I did not see a build date on what I have .
Check the upper left corner of your build sheet. You will see three 2-digit numbers. The second and third are the date the build sheet was printed and car scheduled for build. For 1971 Baltimore, the first 2-digit number ran consecutively from 01 thru 99 for each production day. On the 100th day, this would roll over to 01 again.

Like this example: 12-16 is December 16 and 32 is the 32nd production workday. It may take as long as 7 to 10 working days for the car to be completed and roll off the assembly line from this 12-16 date.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bs_bal_1216_136671B121166_62B_307.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	567345  
1972convss454 likes this.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok great , my car was built In Baltimore . This section of my build sheet Is Intact so It appears this coincides with my door label and was built 1/27/71 ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2491.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	567361  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 12:26 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Well, Tuesday January 27 is when the broadcast sheet (aka build sheet) was printed and copies distributed to the various sub stations throughout the plant. Build time generally took about a week by the time it got through 2-3 days at Fisher Body then another 2-3 days on the final assembly line. Toss in the weekend and it probably rolled out the other end in very early February.

If your build sheet shows the Z15 SS option it would certainly be welcomed in my SS Registry - INTERNATIONAL MALIBU SS REGISTRY unless it's an LS5 thenmy LS5 Registry would be the place for it - INTERNATIONAL LS5 REGISTRY

* Author:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks alot Dale . It Is an LS5 car . How would I register It , through that link ? One more question on the date , what If It was hypothetically built In late 1970 , how would that be reflected on the build sheet date ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks alot Dale . It Is an LS5 car . One more question on the date , what If It was hypothetically built In late 1970 , how would that be reflected on the build sheet date ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 18, 1:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

The link to the LS5 Registry is good. There is a menu bar selection to get to the registration page. I would assume there's enough of your build sheet to show the Z15 SS option as well as the LS5 engine option?

Production year back then typically ran from September the previous calendar year to around June/July with plants shutting down for the next year's model changeover. So anything with a trim tag date of 09x thru 12x would normally be the previous calendar year and build sheet data in box #10 would also show 09-xx thru 12-xx. The 1971 Baltimore Chevelle sheet I posted is dated 12-16 and that would be December 16 of 1970.

* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 656 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.