Matching numbers - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 9:20 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: Matching numbers

Sitting back laughing now...

1970 Cranberry Red SS396 TH400 AC 3:31 Posi -as it was born
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Years ago, probably '97??, I hunted down a '69 SS396 vert. and honestly had no idea what I was getting into. It came from somewhat local, maybe 150 miles away. Remote area, old farm town, everyone knew everyone's sister. I liked the car but it had a couple issues, a cruddy old repaint, a interior was loved by a family of cats, and it sat outside...but was essentially rust free by today's standards. I got it home, took a ton of pictures and ordered a title seach through DMV...still doable at that time.
The title search even had a couple phone numbers on the docs. Cool, I'll shake this tree and see what falls on my head. That lead me to a slew of folks leading me to other folks and each had a story, mostly non-car related. These guys were getting older and loved to tell stories, lol. We talked about everything, love, death, divorce, religion, and it all was loosely related to the '69. These stories lead me on a scavenger hunt for the original 396, since it was a smallish community and everyone pointed a finger towards somewhere.
Me, I've always got time to BS when it comes to cars and the romance of it all got me hooked. I've never known cars created such a common bond between folks.
That was all linked around the history of that '69. That '69 needed it's oem parts reinstalled and that included the engine.
Well, the engine was never found...you were expecting something different I suspect.
What I did find many years later was the IBM punchcard which proves it was exactly what I've been told, but now someone down the line will feel a warm and fuzzy because there's that sheet of paper. They wouldn't have the personal dealings I've had. Chances are by now, half those folks are gone.
To me, this is the love of cars.
Numbers only solidify the folklore.
Fakes are still fakes and they need to be exposed.
6 cylinder cars are still special but usually didn't travel in the same circles as the big dogs and didn't meet the cool chicks.

As a sidenote, after years of digging and not regretting a single false lead, I found a block with the right code, right plant, right date and only 100 or so off the sequence.
Just knowing it was probably in the same building on the same day my car was assembled brings me peace.

Later.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 10:42 PM
Tech Team

So I have a 69 that from all indications was, is an SS car. However it now has a 454 in it. The badges still say SS 396, should they be removed?
I don't tell anyone that it is a 396 and no one seems to care, they only say what an awesome car it is.
The best part is that I didn't pay stupid money for it and it is sitting in the parking lot where I'm working night shift right now.
On break of course.!

post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 18, 7:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Many of the posts in this thread keep referring to , "value", "cost" "price", in short, money.

I have spent enough on my Malibu in the past 25 years to have built several LS-6's. I jokingly say that I am on a quest to spend $300,000 to have a $30,000 car. And heck, I might decide to change a bunch of stuff tomorrow. I'm a Hot Rodder.

There is a Z-16 coming up for bid at Mecum. Everybody is gushing over how beautiful it is, and it monetary worth. "If I could only afford that".

My thoughts? The current owner has grown tired of looking at it, and is going to try to cash in for a profit. Several "collectors" will bid it up, but won't pay the reserve. So the owner will have to stare at it for a while longer.

Collector cars personify the term......"something is worth what someone is willing to pay". One day, someone will flip the switch, and the last guy that paid $300,000 will get stuck with something that no one will pay the price for again.

After that happens, he might decide, "heck, I'll just drive the darned thing". Amagine that.
oman, HKalin and 69SHEVL like this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 18, 5:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

Collector cars personify the term......"something is worth what someone is willing to pay". One day, someone will flip the switch, and the last guy that paid $300,000 will get stuck with something that no one will pay the price for again.
A corollary to the "something is worth......" goes as follows. As soon as someone pays $300,000 the car is immediately worth NOTHING until someone else shows up ready to buy it. At that point the value is once again redetermined by the amount offered by that next buyer. There is no intrinsic worth in a classic car or in anything else for that mater with the possible exception of gold and diamonds. Everything has its value determined by the market place condition and supply and demand.

This collector car market is in someways very very artificial. It is a matter of how bad someone wants a given thing and the guys at these auctions, especially Barrett Jackson, sure want those cars pretty bad. Throw in oversized wallets, a few drinks and some testosterone (along with the occasional pretty girl in the next chair ) and you have people paying insane prices. That is Ok for the high rollers, let 'em spend their money anyway they want. It is not OK for the average Joe who wants to play in the hobby because every rust bucket, or driver quality car is in the eye of its current owner another Barrett Jackson diamond in the rough awaiting a concourse resto and a trip across the B-J stage. I have seen and heard ""I saw one just like mine sell for $ ______________ at BJ so mine MUST be worth the same amount or MORE". Nuts say I.

Most guys just can't "get there from here" as far as the concourse restos and just want a fun driver that takes em back to the goods old days for a few hours.
HKalin likes this.
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 18, 7:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

When people say "It is worth whatever someone will pay" I say, "No, it is worth whatever TWO people would pay, one person more than the supply" as long as there are more people that want it (with money), than there are available, the price will rise.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 18, 4:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Just knowing it was probably in the same building on the same day my car was assembled brings me peace.
I sure wish something like that was all it took to bering me peace.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 6:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

if i found a 69 427 yenko chevelle you could bet i would go to extremes $$$$ to bring it back to its close as possible original factory specs !
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 7:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

All I would care is "is it the original engine, or other part"? Not "does the numbers match what would have been the original engine, or other part" I know, the latter is the way to prove the former, but for most parts on the car, it really doesn't prove it.
But in defense of the number matching crowd, the only people that you hear complaining about it is the people (like me!) that don't have it. Mine was all original, we intentionally removed and discarded the engine and transmission. But it isn't an SS. (what ever that matters)
b&b's69 and MySS396 like this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 8:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
All I would care is "is it the original engine, or other part"? Not "does the numbers match what would have been the original engine, or other part" I know, the latter is the way to prove the former, but for most parts on the car, it really doesn't prove it.
But in defense of the number matching crowd, the only people that you hear complaining about it is the people (like me!) that don't have it. Mine was all original, we intentionally removed and discarded the engine and transmission. But it isn't an SS. (what ever that matters)

I don't have numbers matching, I do complain about it and it is not cause I wish my car was numbers correct. I just think it is a silly Don Quixotie like quest to be on in the first place. I also think it drives the prices up on everyday cars that are otherwise absolutely nothing special at all. The car is original or its not period end of story.

In point of fact one could consider all these numbers cars that are tirelessly reconstructed after endless searching for correct dated heads or intake or exhaust manifolds or wheels or carbs or ______or ______or_____ or whatever else that has a number as merely tribute cars.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 9:46 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
I don't have numbers matching, I do complain about it and it is not cause I wish my car was numbers correct. I just think it is a silly Don Quixotie like quest to be on in the first place. I also think it drives the prices up on everyday cars that are otherwise absolutely nothing special at all. The car is original or its not period end of story.

In point of fact one could consider all these numbers cars that are tirelessly reconstructed after endless searching for correct dated heads or intake or exhaust manifolds or wheels or carbs or ______or ______or_____ or whatever else that has a number as merely tribute cars.
I hear ya, I recall one poster stating the parts used to build his “original” and highly rated car was built from various parts of the country and all were documented. I don’t understand that logic.

1970 Cranberry Red SS396 TH400 AC 3:31 Posi -as it was born
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 18, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySS396 View Post
I hear ya, I recall one poster stating the parts used to build his “original” and highly rated car was built from various parts of the country and all were documented. I don’t understand that logic.

Do I understand this right, he claimed documented parts? Fade to Twilight Zone music after that. This is exactly my point, it is all just going "off the rails" with this nonsense.
MySS396 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 744 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.