'69 Decode help - Chevelle Tech
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 7:03 PM Thread Starter

'69 Decode help

I've been to the chevelle stuff site and can't find a couple of things off this trim tag. The L in the lower right and the the 02323 on the lower right.

Also I know this doesn't "prove" that the car is an SS, but are these options consisitent with an original SS car?

last question, the block was decked when it was rebuilt, I found a number above the oil filter that reads: high perf pa88 K14
does this give anyone a clue? is there another place around the oil filter to find a vin#?

Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 10:39 PM

Re: '69 Decode help

there maybe another partial vin stamped on the ledge right by the oil filter,hard to see in that area
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 10:54 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I can't figure out what the second picture is but the rag joint upper flange is big block (bolt on rather than pressed on)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Here is some info, https://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 11:27 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I can't figure out what the second picture is but the rag joint upper flange is big block (bolt on rather than pressed on)
Dean. Not so sure that's an absolute. I found this bolted on coupler on a 69 300 Deluxe w/307-4 speed car that's been to more than a few midwest-area shows the past few years.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 05, 11:32 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purs
I've been to the chevelle stuff site and can't find a couple of things off this trim tag. The L in the lower right and the the 02323 on the lower right.

Thanks in Advance!
That's because (1) nobody knows what they mean or (2) they aren't telling. Soon as I can find anything definitive, it'll be posted

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
sorry, I couldn't get a very good pic. It's looks like a brace that attaches to the rear differential. I also saw some cross braces near the lower control arms. Is this the F41 suspension package?

I looked again on the vertical pad by the oil filter and I couldn't see or feel anything but a rough surface....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 12:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

[QUOTE=Purs] It's looks like a brace that attaches to the rear differential.
Those look like NO-Hop bars to me????

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 8:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

The 02323 is part of what was called the DP SEQ NO, the number was anywhere from 8 to 12 digits long and they often only placed the portion of it that helped them ID this body along the body shop lines so that when it came into the body bank on the Chevy part of the plant, it got matched up to the order in the Data Processing System. Each car had a unique set of numbers. On Leeds cars and ONLY Leeds cars, the DP SEQ NO is the Body number + 02323. So the complete DP SEQ NO XXXXXX 02323. (You Leeds built owners with build sheets, look and you will see)

It was used for internal plant processing and has no useful info on the car. Those were similar to the bar codes of today.

DP SEQ NO - Data Processing Sequence Number

There are letters only lower body tag from seveal of the GMAD plants like Leeds (KC) and Baltimore. No one has any idea what they mean, some think SS but they have been found on cars that were not SS optioned. It likely has something to do with in plant building of the car since the GMAD plants were charged with built other GM models on same platforms (Chevelle, Tempest, Skylard etc).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 10:56 AM
Tech Team
Tom

The 2nd pic is an aftermerket add on used in stopping wheel hop and inprove traction. They are called ( no-hop ) bars. Edelbrock sell them.

ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE
828-302-4088

Proud Dad of a US Marine

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 05, 2:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Horsepower
The 2nd pic is an aftermerket add on used in stopping wheel hop and inprove traction. They are called ( no-hop ) bars. Edelbrock sell them.
Did some company make these aftermarket back in the 70's? The reason I asked is this car was in storage for 22 years and nothing has been altered since it came out of hibernation.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 05, 7:43 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Yes but I cant remember the company name. They delt with GTO performance parts. H.O. performance or somthing like that. boy its been some time.

ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE
828-302-4088

Proud Dad of a US Marine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5417 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.