Tech Team
Shaun

Garage
Send a message via AIM to SS Shaun
Re: 4l80e or t56?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc1013 View Post
screw those slowmatics... boooooooooring

and whos ever gone to a car show and looked all over the car thinking it was sweet, looked inside and said "eh its an auto" and walked away?
lol nice way to put it but its true..lol

2005 dodge magnum daily driver
1988 mazda rx7 LS6 swap
1969 SS work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 11, 3:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Wayne

Garage

I also voted for the T56. The last two cars I built have both had automatics in them and the last (70 Chevelle) was the 4L80e. I truly loved how it shifted soft when cruizin and crisp when getting on it. But I decided before I started this latest project 67 Chevelle that it had to be a six speed manual trans car.
Have not got it running or on the road yet, but I am sure I will enjoy it.

Later,
Wayne
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 7:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Shaun View Post
i thought about the tko's but man they cost more then the t56 and you have to get all this adjustable clutch slave cylinder and all that stuff no thanks!
you're gonna need more special parts for the T56 than you would for a TKO, which bolts right up to a stock bellhousing and allows the use of a stock clutch linkage. and then you don't have to modify the trans tunnel because it's physically smaller..
add up all the costs and effort- and then ask yourself if you really need that 6th gear with the really deep overdrive- and i'd bet that the TKO starts to look a little better..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shaun

Garage

wait a minute. so you are saying that the tko trans i can use the clutch setup i have have already? so what clutch do i use? give me some more info. I thought you needed to use the same setup like you would with a t56? hydro master and slave and all that stuff. i am open to learn and willing to learn here give me some info

1988 mazda rx7 LS6 swap
1969 SS work in progress
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Shaun View Post
wait a minute. so you are saying that the tko trans i can use the clutch setup i have have already? so what clutch do i use? give me some more info. I thought you needed to use the same setup like you would with a t56? hydro master and slave and all that stuff. i am open to learn and willing to learn here give me some info
no "requirement" to run a hydraulic set up.

But I also havent seen any TKO installs that didnt require a trans tunnel cut / massage. The non-cut is / was one of the selling points for the Keisler RS600. Keisler and all other vendors ship a plate or a template with their kits for cuttin / modifying the center hump.
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
you're gonna need more special parts for the T56 than you would for a TKO, which bolts right up to a stock bellhousing and allows the use of a stock clutch linkage. and then you don't have to modify the trans tunnel because it's physically smaller..
add up all the costs and effort- and then ask yourself if you really need that 6th gear with the really deep overdrive- and i'd bet that the TKO starts to look a little better..
My T56 uses a stock LT1 bellhousing and factory LT1 hydraulics hooked up to a stock '67 clutch pedal. The only custom part is the plate that aligns the LT1 stuff to the stock pedal.

I did have to modify the trans tunnel- no doubt about it. But I thought that was necessary for a TKO as well.

The 'really deep' 6th gear lets me run 3.89:1s in the rear, so it pulls off the line pretty well and still runs at 1,500 or so on the freeway to get more than 20 mpg. I think it's totally worth it. I'm confident I would have had to invest just as much time and almost as much money to get a TKO in. The additional expense is because I opted for a modified T56 (Rockland Standard 'Son of Tranzilla') and since I've got a heavy car with a lot of power that I beat on, that was a good move.

See my Pro Touring '67 Chevelle Wagon at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Winner- 2011 Car Craft "Real Street Eliminator" competition
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shaun

Garage

i thought so. everyone that i have seen with a tko has cut the tunnel towards the end where the shifter is. but i figured the t56 is just easier with the setup and the only customizing is the clutch pedal.

1988 mazda rx7 LS6 swap
1969 SS work in progress
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 2:26 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Just FYI...TKO 5th gear and T56 6th gear ratios are pretty much equal. It's the T56 5th gear that fills in the gap so there is not so much of a drop off in between 4th and overdrive. I've heard from others that the TKO's big drop between 4th and 5th is somewhat of an annoyance, but nothing to really fret about. If you're gonna cut the tunnel for the TKO, then I would recommend just putting in the T56...though I'm biased. If you want to retain stock clutch linkage look into a company called D&D Performance (http://ddperformance.com/), that sells a 1/2" adapter plate to mate the T56 to the stock bellhousing. Though this might require a longer input shaft, not sure as I bought mine as a kit.

Hope this helps!
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 3:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shaun

Garage

thanks for that info but i am bolting the t56 to an ls1 that has an internal slave cylinder. i dont think the kit is meant for that correct?

1988 mazda rx7 LS6 swap
1969 SS work in progress
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 4:40 PM
Tech Team

If you are considering various manual transmissions, you may want to look into which ones offer "blow proof" bellhousings also. I made that mistake when I went with the LT1 style T56 which you cannot get a blow proof housing for. The extra expense is worth not having shrapnel come through the floor board if you plan to run the car hard.

Also look into the various clutch and flywheels that can be used.

Wheres that money tree hiding and who forgot to water it?
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 4:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shaun

Garage

the chevelle will most likely never see the track and i am not planning on running it to hard, thats what the rx5.7 is for i was planning on using the same exact setup from my rx7 on the chevelle just get a stock master cylinder.

1988 mazda rx7 LS6 swap
1969 SS work in progress
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 10:44 PM
Tech Team
Ray

Send a message via Yahoo to ryfrat

T56 for cruiser and under 700hp over that I would get the 4l80e

1969 Chevelle protouring
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 11, 1:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

with my tko im running stock bellhousing, stock linkage, stock everything.

71 Chevelle SS
383-TKO600
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 11, 1:03 AM
Tech Team

I ran into issues of clutch slippage using stock gm master cylinders. The after market tilton I got worked much better. Even on my c5 vette I had to upgrade the MC to do more than 3 passes with a stronger clutch. The aftermarket MC in my opinion is more street friendly as well being easier pedal feel.

Wheres that money tree hiding and who forgot to water it?
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 11, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Shaun

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc1013 View Post
with my tko im running stock bellhousing, stock linkage, stock everything.
yes but you are running a 383 i am looking to bolt up to an LS1 from what i understand you cant use an lt1/sbc bellhousing with an LS1 motor. if i could find a way to bolt on a tko to an ls1 and still use the stock pedal, linkage and clutch fork then i am all for it!

1988 mazda rx7 LS6 swap
1969 SS work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 628 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.