Blue Printing A Block - Chevelle Tech
2005 General Tech Forum from 2005

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 1:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Blue Print Machining A Block

I have been emailed several times asking what it takes to do the job correctly.

First we start with the main line add caps if needed line bore and finish with a line hone.

This is a pic of a 010/020 block with 2482 center caps being line honed.

Next we blue print bore the cam tunnel for over size bearings or roller bearings as this fixture locates center to center distance of the main line and cam center line and keeps the cam tunnel in line with the main line.

This is a pic of a Dart Aluminum block with a .391 raised cam tunnel that we bored out for 55MM cam shaft.

From ther we install it in our CNC machine and index it in the machine. And before we do any machine work we probe the block for deck heights, Cylinder locations in X and Y and cylinder size as it tells us how far its of to blue print.

This is a pick of a Dart Little-M block being probed out.

From there we machine the decks 45 degrees from the crank and cam center lines.

SORRY NO PIC AVAILABLE AS I WILL UP DATE TOMORROW

Next we blue print bore the cylinders or on some of the older 010 blocks that are out of blue print we can bore to the preprobed location

Dart block being bore to blue print.

Once bore we can chamfer the tops of the cylinders yo a desired depth

NO PIC AVAILABLE YET.

Next we blue print bore the lifter bores to .875 or .904 or bush back to standard.

Dart Little-M block being machined for .875 lifter bores.

From there we install the block in our Sunnen Hone intall the torque plate and hone the cylinders to the desired size.

Dart Little-M block being honed

Finished products.

Dart Little-M block

This is a pic of a blower engine our engine shop builds for a pulling team.

Comments are welcome and I will have other pics for this post tomorrow.

Website is up and running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Machine shop tour

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monthly Specials

Last edited by CNC BLOCKS N/E; Jun 7th, 05 at 7:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 1:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Re: Blue Printing A Block

Beautiful work; beautiful machine. Who/where makes the CNC machine tool? How much is a new one?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 1:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'65
Beautiful work; beautiful machine. Who/where makes the CNC machine tool? How much is a new one?
The machine is a HAAS 4-AXIS machining center as it came from RMC and replacment value is about $140.000 to $150.000 With all the bells and whistles. Maybe more.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 2:01 AM

Nice work! There is a lot more involved than most realize. And that is only the block. What is a ball park figure on the cost to do this work?

Next week you can tell us about cranks .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 2:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kelley
Nice work! There is a lot more involved than most realize. And that is only the block. What is a ball park figure on the cost to do this work?

Next week you can tell us about cranks .
To do a Dart Little-M block all Line honed, Decked to desired demension, Blue print bored, Torque plate honed, Lifter bores clearanced, Water holes in the decks gasket matched, cleaned ready to go for 2595.00 and shipped free in the U.S.

Options are

Machine for rear scavenge 75.00

Lifter bores corrected to .875 or .904 150.00

Bush back to standard 350.00

Blue print bore cam tunnel up to .040 over 300.00

Blue print bore Dart cam tunnels for roller bearings 500.00

Bow-tie blocks is 75.00 extra do to regrooveing or the front and rear cam journals 575.00

I have been to Rick King's shop last fall in Denver N.C., King's Cranshaft Co. and seen cranks being built and that is quite an art andI will not be commenting the design or blue printing of crankshafts as he would not do the blue printing of a block.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 2:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Very nice "tour" Carl

I have been lookin at the RMC V30 pretty seriously,,, played with it at the PRI & AERA show & almost got thrown out for droolin all over their machine
Nice piece, really puts the other well known machining center to shame I think.
People I used to drive the Blown Alcohol car for just bought the V20 & are very happy with both it & the service from RMC,,

I'll let you know if I get it, might have to pick your brain a bit,,,

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 2:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfplace
Very nice "tour" Carl

I have been lookin at the RMC V30 pretty seriously,,, played with it at the PRI & AERA show & almost got thrown out for droolin all over their machine
Nice piece, really puts the other well known machining center to shame I think.
People I used to drive the Blown Alcohol car for just bought the V20 & are very happy with both it & the service from RMC,,

I'll let you know if I get it, might have to pick your brain a bit,,,
If you ever get a chance Mike stop by and get the real tour.

RMC now deals with Milltronics machines and since they went to those machines there not interested in doing any more programming for us guys with the HAAS machines and thats a quote from Matt Meyer's at the Pri show last fall as I was devistated about that comment as I help Rich at PCHS in Long Island N.Y. get his machine, And he felt the same way.

Hopefully they don't go to another line as the guys with the Milltronics machines will be screwed as we are right now. Now I have to hire a guy to come in and do my programing for me and its not cheap as when I bought my machine I was promised the world and I never get a call from anybody at RMC to see how things are going and see if I need anything.

I will say the RMC machines are light years ahead of the Rottler-F65 machines.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 6:41 AM

Great post Carl.
Now I can show my fellow motor heads here at work what you are doing to my block, and the great lengths that REPUTABLE shops go thru to get a block sized up for assembly. Now quit clowning around on the net and go finish my block because I just found out this morning that the cyl heads ARE in transit. LOL

Thanks again for a great post,
Roger
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 7:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Carl, how far are you from Portland - fairly close I would assume. WIll probably be making a trip up to our location up there soon.

Joe

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 05, 7:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV
Carl, how far are you from Portland - fairly close I would assume. WIll probably be making a trip up to our location up there soon.

Joe
The CNC shop is 8 minutes from Portland International Jet Port and my engine shop is 20 minutes from the CNC shop. Be sure to get a hold of me and stop by when your up this way.

Machine shop tour

Monthly Specials

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5375 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.