1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build - Page 9 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

209Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 413 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 17, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: 1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
NICE!! I hear ya with the family vs car time. Lots of activities going on. Engine looks good in there. Did you touch up the firewall from the welding yet? Or is the motor and trans coming out a few more times?
Thanks Dan, engine and trans will be in and out a couple more times, I'll be painting after I get the holes drilled in the crossmember. Who knows when I'll get back to it. Daughter is in All County Band, Marching band, and Softball. Wearing out the wheels shuttling around to everything. Funds are dwindling down too, have to focus on what I can do with what I have for the time being (needs over wants).

Went to a pro-touring event in TN the weekend before, while I was there my buddy handed me an Elgin 1839-P cam.. I seriously want to toss it in but the springs I just put in bind @ .515" lift, cam lifts to .575".. dammit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Nice fabrication. I suspect the extra spacer will mess with your brake pedal rod length. Make sure you have enough threads to adjust, otherwise you may need to lengthen that as well.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Thank you for the insight! I too was worried about it, but hoping it'll be ok. When I first got the car there were fender washers stacked behind the booster. Took this pic back when the bracket arrived earlier in the year.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 413 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 17, 8:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Finally pulled the wheel wells in from the backyard, cleaned them up and did a crap job of brushing on some semi gloss.

This was after wire brush, roloc, da sander, and washing them with eagle one wheel/tire cleaner.

Sprayed the rusty spot under the battery tray with rust inhibitor, dried this afternoon, then literally slapped paint on before a softball game. You can see how much dirt/rust/paint came off them under the saw horse, the rest was on me. This was just the top, I'm leaving the under coat on the bottom.

Pulled as much peal n seal off that I could, then wire brushed the pass floorboard to see what I was dealing with

Got out the power tools and went to town on it. Yabba Dabba Doo! I'm cutting out one section at a time and replacing it. Trying to keep the factory seams intact so when I do get around to putting in floorpans I can do it "properly". Have another spot on the floor in front of the seam, then up on the toe panel where the body mount covers. Must have had a hell of a windshield leak to take out the floor and dashboard like this.

The Malibu Constellation

Unfortunately don't have the funds for real floorpans, so I'm making use of what I have to get rid of the rot and seal it up.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #123 of 413 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 17, 9:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Those wheel wells came out nice.

In the true spirit of hot rodding, I think that plate steel will be just fine in there.
Hotwire likes this.

Build thread-

Album -

post #124 of 413 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 9:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Those wheel wells came out nice.

In the true spirit of hot rodding, I think that plate steel will be just fine in there.
Thanks Dan, they're a 60 footer for sure, but all one color and clean. I started a quick list of all things needed, just needed, to get it on the road and started having heart palpitations! Glad I'm sticking with sheetmetal patches, it's not right, but it's not wrong either.

Slow going, pulling in side work to help fatten up the car fund, got one patch zapped in so far. After I was done I laid down a couple of serious right jabs w/ welding glove on, it's not going anywhere.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #125 of 413 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 9:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Nice! That isn't going anywhere. Best piece of metal in the whole car

I did a quick list the other day about needed parts as well. The little things sure do add up. I thought the big things were the cost, but these little things to get it complete is going to be pricey. Nice plan with the side job.
Hotwire likes this.

Build thread-

Album -
post #126 of 413 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I've pulled in sidework to pump up the car fund, but it's not working out too well, reason for lag in updates. Starting a 2nd job at night, I'm supposedly hired, just waiting on the call for it to start.

I started out trying to preserve as much of the original metal as possible AND butt weld the new metal in to keep everything seamless. Don't recommend it at all. I didn't cut all the rust out, was running into issues with blowing out the weld due to the original metal being so thin due to die forming / rust, made for a lot of lost time and aggravation. Then started cutting out as much rust as I could and overlapping the new sheetmetal on good metal, it's going a lot faster.

Pass front footwell done, this was butt welded on rusty metal, lot of cherry chasing trying to seal up blow outs and a LOT of grinding. Can't wait to cover all this up with carpet or something.

Driver side mostly buttoned up, still have a little spot under the clutch pedal and around the gas pedal mount.

Heater box sand blasted, primered, and spray bombed.

Drivers rear footwell done

Pass rear footwell is solid (only pic)

But rear seat well is ate up. Lots of bends, angles, etc. Unsure how I'm going to get it done. New pan is $75, I might have to eat it and order it, feel I'll run into more issues trying to create this out of flat metal.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #127 of 413 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 17, 6:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Little bondo

Cocoon

Lots of sanding and high fill primer

Then bombed satin black

It's far from perfect, but it's all one color and rust is gone. Its getting checked off the list. Next is glovebox door, ashtray, and steering column. Easy after this.
Dan65ss and deserttaco like this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #128 of 413 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 17, 9:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Nice work!
Hotwire likes this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #129 of 413 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 17, 9:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Got to figure out how to cut all the auto stuff off the collar and smooth it out or replace it. Don't want to destroy it, but it's hard to ignore it, probably going to start trimming the auto stuff off the collar this week.

Man the dash is looking really nice. No surprise it scratches easy. I can't get a decent pic with the garage lights, it's too dark.

Butchered channel.

Christmas money came in a little early and spent it just as quick. Rear seat well pan, bumpers for the glovebox door and pedals, parking brake pad, PAC-1218 valve springs, Summit rocker trunion upgrade, wiring pigtails for all the T56 sensors, and injector adapters were ordered. So, little more metal work on the interior to do, little more peripheral wrenching, and engine won't be firing up stock as planned. Can't wait to hear it camming through longtubes!!

This has "fun" written all over it..

Also have an a-pillar with me, going to see if I can find some duplicolor that has a decent match so I can paint the windshield cowl abutment from where I replace the lower channel. Can't leave it looking the way it is with the sea of red that's around it.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #130 of 413 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 17, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech Team

brings back memories keep at it! like the idea of an older 4 door modern type car stand out from the crowd..very cool project

with new cars being disposable and over 30k why not build a nice one that will last another 30?
Hotwire likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #131 of 413 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 8:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
brings back memories keep at it! like the idea of an older 4 door modern type car stand out from the crowd..very cool project

with new cars being disposable and over 30k why not build a nice one that will last another 30?
That's what I'm trying to go for. I'd much rather build it than buy it, but bodywork is definitely not my strong suit.

Got a couple minutes to work on the chevelle this weekend, so I figured I'd knock the ugly off the remaining dash items.

My daughter has been calling this car a rust bucket from day one. I have stood vigilante in taking the abuse and fended off all of her verbal attacks.. but I think it may be time to retire the shield and sword. It's hard to ignore when you have rust holes in the ashtray of all things. The FRIGGIN ASHTRAY!?!?!!

Dan65ss likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #132 of 413 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 1:24 PM
Tech Team
Henry

Stay strong Jeff, hold the fort lol! Car is coming along nicely
post #133 of 413 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 17, 1:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Way to keep after it. I know what you mean about the butt welds and blow thru...

I started looking at those dash pics and was certain that you ordered up a new one and installed it. That came out great. I totally need to do that to mine.

Build thread-

Album -
post #134 of 413 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Thanks guys! Been slacking but vaca is here and I'm rolling!

Started hacking on the steering column, removed the auto selector and gear indicator, cut/formed sheet metal to act as a backer to fill in the holes, then JB welded them in.

This was the hole for the tiny bulb that illuminated the gear indicator.

This was the hole for the gear selector handle.

Will flatten out the epoxy, then bondo and smooth them out. It was easier than I thought except for cutting the ear off for the selector. Ended up having to use a sawzall because the pot metal gummed up the cutoff wheel. 80 grit flapper disc smoothed it out quickly though.

Figured I wasn't going to get any painting done, so I blew the dust off the engine, disconnected from trans, mounted on engine stand and pulled the valve cover off. Pressed the factory bearings out of the rockers, cleaned them up, then started pressing in the summit trunion captured bearings. Next up is swapping out the new valvesprings, and installing the rumpity stick. (To the left you can see the gear selector handle and turn signal. I cleaned up the turn signal stick w/ 00 steel wool and WD40, was rusted all to hell.)

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #135 of 413 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 17, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Came to an abrupt stop when I realized my nephew lost the bag with all my snap ring tips. Tried unsuccessfully to mod the tips I did have, searched for any stragglers in every drawer of my tool box, but then had to drive to town, ended up at Home Depot.. All I can say is if you do the trunion upgrade on your LS and need snap ring pliers, the Channellock 8in snap ring plier is the way to go, $30. Even used the copper tips that came with it, didn't change a thing, they fit perfect and got r dun.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in