1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 469 (permalink) Old May 30th, 17, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: 1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build

Finally had everybody else's stuff working so I could have a little chevelle time.

Following this thread on LS1Tech ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...cars-40-a.html ), I cut up my gas tank box, made sure it fit, then trimmed up the excess.

Transferred to sheet metal

Tried my hand at braking, no bueno, 18 ga steel means business.

Even tried more cowbell, no go. Luckily had a friend with a brake that I've helped out in the past. He stopped by to check the car out and grabbed the sheet. Picking it up tomorrow.

cbrfxr67 likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 17, 7:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

When your friend doesn't know how to follow directions, lines, or his own friggin handwriting. Asked for 3 30 degree angles, got 2 45s after we discussed it AND handed him a sharpie so he could write the angles down ON THE METAL HE WAS BENDING!

I knew it wasn't going to be a drop in deal, needs more angles to make it fit, but figured he could knock out the ones I needed so I only had to do a little massaging. This is thick metal and I don't have anything heavy/stationery enough to pound on it. Unfortunately him missing the middle bend just put more work on me. Let the fun begin.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #63 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 17, 8:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I pulled the panties off last night, hit it with my purse, and got it about how I want it. Basically sat it on the garage floor and beat the sharp angles out of it. Where I needed the extra curve on the pass side, I sat the metal in the leftover angle iron and hit it with a pick hammer until it stretched out to match the firewall, then dollied it smooth. Still needs a little more work to smooth out the major hammer blows, but it has nice radius's that match the factory contours now, and got rid of the sharp angles that didn't work in the car. It feels like Freddy Krueger's face but hoping dynamat, sound deadener, and carpet will hide the ugly on down the road. Lol it'll be painted and in your face for a while though.

The rear of it twisted counter-clockwise with all the hammering, had to put it in the vice to tweak it back, it will go flat once I tack it in.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #64 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 8:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I beat this bish with the ugly stick, then ran out of wire and gas about the same time. I'm about 1/3 of the way through welding in the tunnel.

red68chevL and cbrfxr67 like this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #65 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 9:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Nice work. I was worried about my floor brace at the back of the trans, so I cut and added 2.5 inches to each side of it. I had read some people have issues with it and some don't. I figured since i was in there I should just take care of it. I have the DD adjustable mounts and energy short/wide engine mounts so I could be lower to help with the angles, but I am nice and high across the engine crossmember.

Build thread-

Album -
post #66 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 1:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan65ss View Post
Nice work. I was worried about my floor brace at the back of the trans, so I cut and added 2.5 inches to each side of it. I had read some people have issues with it and some don't. I figured since i was in there I should just take care of it. I have the DD adjustable mounts and energy short/wide engine mounts so I could be lower to help with the angles, but I am nice and high across the engine crossmember.
lol, was just looking @ your thread trying to get caught up in it. I'm trying to keep mine tight so any carpet kit will work. The bottom channel of my frame is bent up where the cross member is sitting and I put the additional spacer in the trans mount. With all that in mind I test fit the driveshaft and have plenty of room with the trans at it's highest point.

*EDIT* New, full #4 tank and 10lbs of wire sitting in the truck for the ride home.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #67 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 1:50 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Jeff, this is a great thread. Doing all this stuff yourself on a shoestring and capitalizing on the goodwill of friends, that is the essence of building a fun Chevelle. Besides, flesh wounds heal.
I also enjoy your writing style, it reminds me a lot of Walter Zoomie's World (which I'm not able to access because I don't possess a Willy Wonka ticket).
"We need more cowbell", I get it!

Seeing the previous owner's fantastic skills is quite amusing. Look up the word "fantastic" and you'll find that is not exactly a prop for him, it really means pure fantasy. I mean jeez, proper exhaust hangers are what, $5 each? Every day must be filled with wonder, as in "I wonder what the heck he was thinking?" Too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
How many of you really wanted to do this with your headlights?

I've always wanted to do that to someone else's headlight, but I figured that would lead to trouble.

Now get back to work before the wemmens remind you who you really work for.
cbrfxr67 and Hotwire like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #68 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 4:52 AM
JKK
Tech Team
JK

Nice Project
Hotwire likes this.

67 El Camino ZZ 383 > FI-Tech F.I. / 700R4 /12 Bolt Posi 3.73s / P/S P/B A/C
" Rancheros the Other Short Bus"
post #69 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Jeff, this is a great thread. Doing all this stuff yourself on a shoestring and capitalizing on the goodwill of friends, that is the essence of building a fun Chevelle. Besides, flesh wounds heal.
I also enjoy your writing style, it reminds me a lot of Walter Zoomie's World (which I'm not able to access because I don't possess a Willy Wonka ticket).
"We need more cowbell", I get it!

Seeing the previous owner's fantastic skills is quite amusing. Look up the word "fantastic" and you'll find that is not exactly a prop for him, it really means pure fantasy. I mean jeez, proper exhaust hangers are what, $5 each? Every day must be filled with wonder, as in "I wonder what the heck he was thinking?" Too funny.

I've always wanted to do that to someone else's headlight, but I figured that would lead to trouble.

Now get back to work before the wemmens remind you who you really work for.
Lol, thanks Cameron! I'm certainly trying! Not sure if it's right, but it'll be done for sure. This car has definitely entertained me in ways I wasn't expecting.

We had pretty bad thunderstorms last night, figured I'd sit it out, hoping to knock some more welds out tonight.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #70 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 11:17 AM
Adam

Garage

Haha, great build. Makes me feel like mine isn't so bad, and I should get to work....
post #71 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 7:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I've been reading up on yours, man your doing fine!

Had to make all the new metal waterproof for the next steps, so I laid down a crap layer of Rustoleum

First time it's seen sunlight in a while

Craigslist frame off resto, first time it's seen soap and water since I've owned it. Just knocking big chunks off so I won't have as much to do before paint goes on. Also got my holes drilled for the engine mounts.

Leftover sheet metal

Weird seeing this floor again. That pile is metal dust if you want to know how much grinding I've had to do. Not quitting my day job.

post #72 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 17, 5:18 PM
Tech Team
65 turd build

Garage

Absolutely love this build. Great stuff and cant wait to read/see more.
post #73 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Thanks man, I'm going a lot slower than I want to, this pace is killing me.

Pulled the front end apart tonight, there's a lot more grease than I anticipated. Contemplating hooking the engine hoist to the frame and pushing it back outside for another wash. Not sure how I could clean it in the garage without making a complete mess. Started wire brushing the frame but was smearing grease more than anything.

You can see how much is falling off in the pics, still a lot stuck on the frame, floor was clean before I started.

Working on late model stuff pretty much all my life has me really focusing on this steering shaft. All I've ever worked on was collapsing shafts. This thing is just rigid as a mofo hanging in space.

Anyone keeping track at home, 9. Total of 9 spacers in the front springs.. Shocks and ball joints are dead. Lower joints are complete trash, uppers are factory, semi tight, but very notchy. Centerlink joint @ the Pittman arm has inch of slop. Bushings were being held together by the bolts.

Definitely got the full life of those bushings..

Little purchase, arp flywheel bolts, ac delco pilot bearing, centerlink, ball joints, grade 8 hardware for the engine mounts, and poly bushings for the front.

post #74 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 17, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Got driver's side pretty much cleaned up last night, hoping to get pass side and a-arms done tonight.

Feeling better about my welds after uncovering some of these in the frame..

cbrfxr67 likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #75 of 469 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 17, 12:06 PM
Tech Team
65 turd build

Garage

this is my favorite thread on here. Cheering for you! My 65 is in about the same shape as yours, maybe a bit worse. really enjoying your updates and your progress!
Hotwire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in