1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 396 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 17, 8:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: 1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build

Created a trash filter under the engine to catch all the grease and dirt coming off so it didn't go in the driveway. Got it about 85% cleaned up, left the wiring harness on there to wash off the mold/mildew that was on it and also to keep the cleaner out of the electrical connections.

Afterwards I pulled the wiring harness off and couldn't resist hanging some jewelry on the old girl. Can't stop looking at it now.. Primary hits the oil cooler line, fully solidifies their departure.

While I was in a cleaning mode I figured it was time to knock the major chunks off the frame. This was a scrape straight off the crossmember, ol girl has been nicely preserved underneath. Just did a quick gunk removal, haven't done a full clean on the frame, that will be soon.

Here's the pass inner cowl after I cut all the rust off the outer sheetmetal. Not much I can do w/ the inner structure except treat the rust and keep it dry and clean.

This was after spraying it w/ rust transformer and test fitting the sheet metal I bent up. The black is where it was turning the rust into an oxide that blocks further rust creation.

Bent up and ready to weld in

Pass side buttoned up, now I have to grind, smooth, sand, seam seal, and paint.

Welding buddy talked me into just replacing the outer skin, should have replaced the firewall side as well.

I honestly had swept the floor before before we cut that piece out, this is what came out of the cowl. wth.

Driver's side welded up. Need to do a LOT of grinding as this was my side to weld, it looks bad in the pic but it's not too bad.

We were wore out from doing both sides, he left, I shut the doors. Will be cleaning the garage tomorrow and possibly doing a lot of grinding.

What's left?
-Clean up the cowl patches, seam seal, paint (have to figure out a nice sturdy paint to use, rattle can is too thin, maybe brush on rustoleum ).
-After that is protected, clean the frame, bolt the T56 to the engine, test fit, will be pulling peel n seal off floor board, cutting the trans tunnel to make room for the T56 and welding in new metal.
-Clean the dash, bondo, smooth, paint, also find matching paint for the red, paint the windshield channel, cowl, and pillar covers. Reinstall, install windshield, install front end, wire, plumb, install tank, plumb, exhaust, shorten driveshaft, install eaton diff and 3.73s
-mod seats to fit in car
-mod gauge cluster
-miller time

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 396 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 17, 9:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Way to get after it. I love it. I had some of that rust in the shoulder cowl as well. I tried to get some new pieces in there, don't know how well those welds will stay, but made me feel like I gave it a fighting chance. Can't wait to tackle mine in the next couple weeks. Love this motivation!

Build thread-

Album -
post #48 of 396 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 17, 3:39 PM
John

Fun Build! Looks like you are enjoying it.

A word of caution about that Walbro 225 pump. Mine crapped out on me at the worst possible time, pump was brand new and barely had 1500 miles on it. No clear indication as to why.
I just pulled the trigger on a Racetronix, we will see how that one shapes up.

1964 Chevelle SS

post #49 of 396 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 17, 3:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary

There are some fake walbro pumps out there.Spotting a Fake Walbro Fuel Pump
post #50 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 17, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Preciate the info! The pump came directly from Tanks Inc but will definitely inspect when I get to that point.

Learned a lesson. Harbor freight consumables are total crap. Got a 26 grit flapper wheel from the local welding store, tore through the welds like butter. And goes 3x as fast through flesh. :/ Got a nice canoe carved out of my middle finger.

Got all the welds flattened out, will never win awards but won't come apart, then went stupid with seam sealer, that stuff goes everywhere and gets out of control quick. Wasn't concerned with under the fenders but tried to keep it decent looking across the firewall, will go back and clean off the excess before painting.

Started painting and heard rapid footsteps down the stairs. Daughter wanted to paint some, wasn't going to say no, been a long time since she helped in the garage.

Worked on engine prep while she painted, couldn't get ls1 pan to seat, it was high siding on the pickup for some reason.

After looking it over more, the ls1 pickup mounts to a different stud, the pickup bracket was hitting the windage tray rib around the mounting hole, so I had to do some cutting. Old mounting point to the left, you can see where the new was hitting on the right.

Cut off wheel, die grinder, and file did the trick. Also had to shorten the windage tray since the pan sits so close to the crank.

Test fitting in the engine bay very soon. Going to see how it sits with the ancient rubber mounts, will try the poly setup as well.

Got all the cowl bare metal sealed up too.

66SSFan likes this.
post #51 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 17, 7:31 PM
Tech Team
Matt

Just curious - what paint did you use on the cowl shoulders?

Looking great so far for sure!

Industrial controls engineer by day, mechanic by night, a few screws loose 24/7

'71 4-Door Malibu
My old daily, a project to be a driver again
Previously: 307 / Powerglide
Current: 307 / Muncie M20
Soon: 383 / Muncie M20
post #52 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 17, 1:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM54 View Post
Just curious - what paint did you use on the cowl shoulders?

Looking great so far for sure!
Thank you sir, greatly appreciated!

I cheaped out and grabbed a quart of Rustoleum oil based gloss and flat black to do quicky stuff like this. I wanted to mix the flat and gloss to get a satin finish but my daughter asking to help derailed it. Figured it would be a little sturdier than a thin spraybomb. I wasn't too worried about the look under the fenders so I just let it fly. I will spend a little more time prepping the firewall before I paint it, just wanted to get the bare metal coated while everything else is going on.
MM54 likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #53 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 17, 7:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Buddy in Illinois just put a retro a/c system in his 65 wagon, saw I needed somethings, came home to an unexpected box on the front porch. He sent me the heater control cables and pass cowl vent assembly, can't thank him enough! My cables are rusted solid and vent assembly is melted from some weird cowl fire before I bought it.

Did a little bit of this tonight.

Have to mod either set of engine mounts to work, easier set is poly mounts. Having trouble getting centerline of engine bay so I can line up engine and properly mark where to cut the mounts. Have to shorten them up as they have the engine sitting stupid high. Can about stick my fist in between pan and frame. This would cause a lot more trans tunnel cutting and driveline angle issues.

This is where I want it, just enough to clear the inner tie rod ends at full lock. Have speed level to watch and angle finder to dial in crank angle. Checked driver's header, beautiful clearance, have to check pass side, also want to mock up accessories and radiator support.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #54 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 17, 9:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Got a whole lot of nothing done this weekend.

Had to mod/shorten the engine mounts to lower the engine

still need to finish cleaning them up and paint (Notice oil pan edges are dirty, but flat front is clean, more on that below)

Wonder how much this little feature adds to their swap kit price (glad I didn't have to pay for it)

Got the engine placed on the frame, it fits, but could do a lot better if it was ~2" forward. The oil pan is square, crossmember is curved, causing it to hit on the edges.

Set the engine down and balanced the rad support to see what room I had, plenty up front, 1.5 finger widths from head to firewall out back, 1 finger width between oil pan and cross member.

Finally bolted together, been waiting 2 decades to finally call this setup my own

Tried fitting the whole setup in and failed miserably. The top of the trans tunnel is square to match up with SBC bellhousing, LSx have one bolt @ 12 o'clock so I need:
a triangular tunnel..
or cut the firewall/tunnel and move the whole shebang up to clear
or move engine forward to clear better
or purchase a $370 Holley 302-2 oil pan (eh..)

Don't want to raise the tunnel too high as will make carpet and other things stupid difficult. Didn't take any pics, just imagine the engine and trans wedged between the cross member and firewall at a 15 degree angle, pan on frame, heads hitting firewall. I'm seriously considering cutting little triangles out of the curved cross member to clear the oil pan edges so I don't have to raise the trans tunnel as high. Will be chewing on that idea for the next little bit, not sure when I'll get back out in the garage.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #55 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 17, 10:16 AM
Tech Team
Troy

Are you familiar with the Holley/Hooker thread on their LS swap components. If for nothing else what it really takes to fit your combination and achieve proper driveline angles?

66 CHEVELLE
post #56 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 17, 8:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Are you familiar with the Holley/Hooker thread on their LS swap components. If for nothing else what it really takes to fit your combination and achieve proper driveline angles?
Yessir I have. I'm trying to keep a cheap budget, found a "deal" on craigslist, and am trying to use what I have. Multiple gunshot wounds to the feet have ensued, trust me, seriously paying for my ignorance.

Actually got some time in the garage last night.

There isn't a single flat point anywhere on the frame. Couldn't figure out how to pull a straight line across the cross member and get a decent marking, got desperate, and made do with what I had. (laser guide on jigsaw) Doused some red on the frame to help see the scribed marks when cutting.

One problem, cutting one side threw all kinds of metal dust over the other scribed line, when you're in a hurry and wipe it off with paint still tacky, you end up wiping away your marking. That's gump genius. Did end up cutting a decent line though. Err'd on the safe side, can grind more out if needed.

From below, tried to keep the original center of the crossmember as my stopping point. The plate I'll be using "should" come up flush to it. Lol, some people say I need to lower the car more, bottom of the crossmember disagrees.

Quick shot while I was underneath

Took some time to level the frame, but can't determine what point to make level on the frame? Got out assembly and service manuals, found ride height info and got the frame/suspension as close to those points as possible (1/2" rake measuring 30.5" behind front tire center, 24.5" in front of rear tire center). Turns out the rear coils are only sagging about 1/2" with those spacers in them.

With that done, I checked pinion angle, .5 degrees up? While flipping through one of the books I saw where you can dial in the pinion angle w/ factory offset bolts in the upper control arms, like some upper a-arms. Really unsure of what to set the engine to, everything I've read so far is saying 3-5 degrees down? I really need the trans in there to help figure things out, but running into issues there.

Tried getting the bellhousing on with engine "dialed" in, the damn hump on driver's side firewall for the gas pedal rod is seriously in the way, think it's days are numbered.

Hopefully I can keep this clearance of the tie rod ends once everything is installed. Thinking I might have to put washers/spacers on the engine mounts now to give me a little more room. dammit.

Found another easter egg! Leaky steering box?!? No problem! RTV that bish right up!!

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #57 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 8:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Getting my money's worth outta these cutting discs

Had to take another inch out of the top of the crossmember, but some things happened. Keeping w/ the f-body pan has definitely provided some grief. Pulling up all that peel and seal definitely let me know age is coming on strong. Also found out that's the only thing holding the passenger floorboard together.

Think this is going to be the final spacing, angles are good, can remove trans / bellhousing with this placement, it's all go from here. Can just about get my fingers between the tie rod ends and oil pan. Keeping that spacing I don't run into problems once everything settles.

Trans tunnel needs a bit of tweaking to clear everything, might be better off fabbing a new tunnel out of sheet metal.

Now that everything is lined up, measured, and "right" I realized I cut more than I should have. Put the lower notched back into the frame, now have to box in the cross member then deal w/ the trans tunnel mods.

Wife caught me in the act.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #58 of 396 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

How much reinforcement do you plan on putting in the crossmember? Got pics of that?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #59 of 396 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 7:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
How much reinforcement do you plan on putting in the crossmember? Got pics of that?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Hey Scott,

Not much you can do, where I need reinforcement there's oil pan. I am fully boxing in the notch, hopefully between that and the engine mounts w/ poly it'll keep the cross member sturdy.

Rusted wrists and plasma burn, very apparent I'm a grinder, not a welder. Hoping to finish boxing in the notch tonight and start on the trans tunnel. Had to tell the wemmens unless there's fire don't talk to me.

Had to fill in the lower edge, reason it looks bad, nothing a flapper wheel can't take care of though.

Having to put the engine mounts back together after I initially shortened them. Never listen to the internet.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #60 of 396 (permalink) Old May 20th, 17, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Burned through a lot of wire and flapper wheels today.

Boxed up

Quick coat of Rustoleum since it was clean and hot

Welded the ends back on the engine mounts, lost one so I had to improvise

Hard to get clearance pics with black..

Clears the tie rod

Next up is the tunnel. Using hose as a spacer. Going to tack strips onto the tunnel, form the floor and tunnel to line up, then make strips and weld em in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in