1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build - Page 13 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #181 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 18, 5:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary

Re: 1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build

Is the large grommet flexible? Looks like it is pointing the wrong way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 18, 7:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
I am interested in seeing how you do this. Those are positive offset rims. Spacers up front? Extra wide rear end? What is the offset?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Yessir, unfortunately I'll have to run spacers. Unsure of what size I'll need but will figure it out soon. In the end I hope to have a 1968+ rear and ditch the spacers. Embarrassed to state the size of the spacers I was using on the blazer, but they've gone over 20k miles and just did 146 mph in the Texas Mile event.

They're 17x9" rims with 56mm offset, or to old school guys, 6.7" backspacing.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 18, 8:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Once again, side work on other's vehicles have slowed me down. Between having to re-arrange the garage, then spend more time than I'm willing to admit to re-find items is getting really old.

Have been spending time trying to find a driveshaft yoke that will work. On the verge of just ordering a new one instead of trying to find a junkyard yoke that will work. Going to try to call/visit shops around my work to see what they've got to offer. One upside is Oliver's driveshaft is about 20 mins from work in Winston-Salem. Don't want to pay that much but the way this damn thing is going it'll be a drop in the bucket.

Have spent a LOT of time on wiring. More time than I should have, but I want this to crank up on first try and never have any issues.

Wife and daughter were headed to the store Sat morning, asked them to grab me something, wise asses delivered.

With drive by wire setup, I'm going to have a stupid simple 3 wire/switch cruise control ready to go. I'm ok with that.

Roll around seats are not fun for long periods of time, but after stretching out a couple times here's where I'm at. All ECM lines are set to length. Still need to mount fuse box, get length measurement, and finish up power wires, but again, progress is progress:

I finished off last night by labeling EVERY SINGLE WIRE coming out of the silverado fuse box. Time definitely wasted. I'm kicking myself in the butt by trying to use this AND integrate it into the 64's wiring setup. But at the same time all the circuits will be overly protected and I'll have plenty of fused circuits at my beck and call whenever I like. Downside is the girth associated with this beast. I was going to put it to the right of the steering column, but the heater control cables have taken that space. So I'm trying to shoe horn it between the clutch and parking brake pedals. Have to fab up custom mounts for it, have a feeling I'll be wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how to hang it vs just getting it done.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #184 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 18, 7:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Struggled with finding a location for the fuse box to where I wasn't worried about chafing, moving parts, or access to fuses. Finally settled on a decent spot, I can get to all the wires easily and all the fuses/relays are in plain view as well. I couldn't figure out how to mount the box. I'm unfortunately going to wedge it under the dash and securing it with zip ties. I can't figure out how to separate the box halves to gain access inside, so I don't know of any safe spots to run zip screws through. There's not enough room under the dash to incorporate the original mounting setup. Finally, I'm not smart enough to figure this out in a timely manner. With one 1/8" zip tie I can rock it with my full body weight on it and it does not move. I will be using larger zip ties, rubber hoses on sharp metal edges, this thing will be solidly mounted.

I had to swap the wiper and headlight switch locations on the dash, but that's the extent of it. It's not going to be pretty, but it will be fully functional, out of the way, and out of mind. It uses the steering column support rod as it's main hold, there's an upside down c-channel on the inside lip of the dash that the box mates to like it was made for it. Any more downward angle and it would start to interfere w/ the clutch pedal.

Looking through dash where gauge bezel mounts, wire bundle will cross over steering column, have a stress relief @ the defroster duct, then angle down to the grommet in the firewall center. I've already put 1/2" hose on the upper left corner so it rests against the cowl tray w/o scrubbing it w/ the hard plastic.

Look through w/ bezel in place, already beating up my paint on the dash.

Looking up from the floorboard, not 100% ideal, but can still easily access every fuse and relay for future repairs.

Looking through the backside of the gauge bezel, you can see the clearance I gained by swapping wiper/headlight switches in the bezel. This will NOT work with stock gauges. Luckily the trailblazer gauge setup is shallow and will work.

How the switches look, I will fix this in the future, right now it's function over form for the time being.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #185 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Almost done w/ main trunk wiring, think 5 more wires lengthened and it's on to peripheral wiring.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #186 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 4:39 PM
Tech Team
John

You have that many wires going to the trunk!!!!

Sorry, couldnít resist. 😜
post #187 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 7:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 chevelle malibu View Post
Is the large grommet flexible? Looks like it is pointing the wrong way.
Sorry I never addressed this, it's 1/8" rubber, very flexible, I set it up the same way I pulled out of the 04 Tahoe. I put an extra "T" cut it in so I could pass the large amount of wires through. It's working well, will seal it up completely with tape when done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
You have that many wires going to the trunk!!!!

Sorry, couldnít resist. ?
This thing does have junk in the trunk.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #188 of 461 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 7:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Got the harness setup happy on the engine and most of the "main trunk" wiring done out of the car. Pulled it off the engine this weekend and put it in the car. I'm extremely happy with the mock up, there's enough slack in the harness to really route it properly in the car and hide it once done.

Only thing lacking is wire to heater fan and charging cable from alternator. This is the complete engine/trans harness w/ added wideband sensor harnesses and electric exhaust cutout harnesses.

Once I got it in the car I started noticing little extras I needed and it's causing grief. The "underhood fuse box" (what I have) mainly has constant battery power lines. There's an additional relay box and in dash box that it works off of to run everything. I've had to shuttle circuits around to get everything connected properly. The headlights work off relays in the box, but they're controlled w/ ground. I've had to re-wire the 64 headlight and high beam switch to work this way, not a big deal, but more time sunk.

Right now I'm to the point where I have to figure out the clutch / brake switches so I can get them wired up and checked off. This includes fabricating a mount for the clutch switch.

Here's how it looks in the car. ECM trunk will go over the top of the heater box to above the glove box.. box where the ECM will sit. Tidy. You can already see it split loomed on the pass side of the defroster duct.

The main power trunk will come from behind the defroster duct on driver's side, angle over to the steering column, go behind column supports (in front of in pic), then route up over the fuse box (cascade into the connectors). It will look a lot better once I get it zipped up and split loom over it, have to leave it loose to run all the other wires. You can see all the battery power (orange wires) on the far left.

And finally figured out how to mount the fuse box solidly. Used 2 zipties to the dash c-channel, then hacked the factory box mount so it hugs the column support. This angles the box away from the gauges for more room and also improves fuse/relay accessibility on the backside.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #189 of 461 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 2:56 PM
Tech Team
John

I bet this thing is up and running by now! Any videos?
post #190 of 461 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
I bet this thing is up and running by now! Any videos?
Sorry to disappoint. Had to hang up progress for a bit. My DD had catastrophic failure that I had to repair ('08 Tahoe).

Coming home on the bypass had the cruise control set @ 70mph, just cruising along and the engine sounded like it windowed the crank. Got it home and started tear down.

The timing chain tensioner let go, piece of plastic from it got stuck between crank gear and timing chain, cam skipped timing, smacked all 8 intake valves on the pistons. Took out pushrods, chipped a tooth off the $140 camshaft phaser sprocket.. ended up loosing 2 weeks due to parts/time and around $900 out of chevelle fund.

Broken tooth

And the result

You can see the intake valves are not seated and shiny spots where they contacted.

Little more apparent with them out of the head

Cleaned up the pistons, put them at tdc and ran a rat tail file over them to clear off the high spots. Not ideal but better than nothing. Probably lost 1 point of compression knocking all that carbon off the piston and heads. Also pulled the lifter trays and inspected the lifters, they're ok.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #191 of 461 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Heads final cleaned, valves installed, condom'd and sealed

Used new springs I've had forever

They say diamonds are a girls best friend (prob jeweler came up with it), but a Napa CHT R12FQR 1/2" drive ratchet is a guy torquing heads in a tahoe's best friend. 17" handle, swivel head, I fell in love within the first bolt..

Was close to buttoning up and had breakage

I knew it had an updated driver's valve cover, but didn't know it was a piece of ****. The gasket rails were so big I had to glue the felpro gasket in place so it wouldn't fall out when I turned the valve cover over. And..

POS chinese bolts can't take 106 in/lbs more than one time. This was the ending for Sunday night.

After that I conveniently got food poisoning from Olive Garden (wife and I's first outing in a while), was laid out Monday. Yesterday morning went out in 40 degree rain with stomach cramps, grabbed valve cover bolts, pass rocker setup, and pushrods from my favorite tahoe at the junkyard. Got back home and had it going down the road at 7pm.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #192 of 461 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 12:36 PM
Ryan

That shot of you sitting in the engine bay of your Tahoe brings back BAD memories. A year ago I did the AFM delete on my '09 Tahoe. Sucked. What's the over and under on how many times you have to climb in and out of the engine bay? 100? I'll take the over. It went from using a quart every 500 miles to about 1.5 quarts every 3000. And... I promptly sold it. I like working on old stuff. Working on the DD just seems like a second job.
post #193 of 461 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbreis View Post
That shot of you sitting in the engine bay of your Tahoe brings back BAD memories. A year ago I did the AFM delete on my '09 Tahoe. Sucked. What's the over and under on how many times you have to climb in and out of the engine bay? 100? I'll take the over. It went from using a quart every 500 miles to about 1.5 quarts every 3000. And... I promptly sold it. I like working on old stuff. Working on the DD just seems like a second job.
Amen brother. I'm borderline burned out on the chevelle, that work I was seriously suffering through.

My right shin is bruised from jumping up and down in that damn thing countless times. Towards the end it was almost like an pre-flight check list making sure I had everything before I saddled up, got so bad I balanced the heads on the rad support while I jumped in.. Then once in, something would drop. I was so close to calling my wife to come out and just bench till gravity got hold of something, it was that bad..

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #194 of 461 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 1:55 PM
Tech Team
John

Well, life goes on , Chevelle progress or not. Glad your dd battle is over for now. We all have to take a break from a project now and again, Iíve been on break for 21years!
Hotwire likes this.
post #195 of 461 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 3:08 PM
Ryan

BTW, we must be kindred spirits. I'm also neck deep in a 4-door build. Mine is a '66 Sport Sedan. I would love to do a combo like your LQ4/T56, but my Dad is old school and I'm building it for us to enjoy together so we're going with a 327 that he built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66velle.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	531289  
Hotwire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in