1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build - Page 12 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

199Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #166 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 5:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
Guess I missed it somewhere, do you recall what headers you used?
BRP Hot rods / Hedman 45216 headers. Too big for my application but got a killer deal and couldn't pass it up. They're 1 7/8" primary / 3" collector, ceramic coated longtubes.

If I had the expendable cash, would've gotten headers that were bunched up for a better fit, these are strung all over place, even wrapping under the lower control arm mount. Can't wait to melt my bushings. Getting the starter in was holding the front set of tubes up against the frame while playing jenga with the starter.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 18, 1:41 PM
Tech Team
Michael

Re: 1964 4 door Malibu - LQ4/T56 build

From the sounds of that I may go a different route, thanks

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #168 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 18, 4:09 PM
Tech Team

I absolutely loved all of your pictures and explanations. Do you have any updates on the 64? She road ready yet? And I'm completely amazed at the condition the was was in when you bought it. I have seen to janky rigging before, but nothing that bad.

post #169 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 18, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes64 View Post
From the sounds of that I may go a different route, thanks
They're quality pieces, just go in all directions, possibly for length matching? Dunno. Also hugs the frame and pushes the engine all the way back, have to reroute pass front brake lines because it's sitting on top of the primary. Other part I'm questioning is the slip on collector. That's 4 possible exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor on each side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake28050 View Post
I absolutely loved all of your pictures and explanations. Do you have any updates on the 64? She road ready yet? And I'm completely amazed at the condition the was was in when you bought it. I have seen to janky rigging before, but nothing that bad.
Thanks, I'm trying my best to preserve this thing.

No updates, y'all are right there with me now. All the parts to finish the clutch have come in but I'm down with some kind of virus and have 8"of snow, not conducive for any garage time. (Parts list: Vacuum nipple for intake to hook up booster, arp pressure plate bolts, remote bleeder, AN line for clutch master, adapters for slave, low profile reverse light switch for trans)

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #170 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 18, 5:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Also realized my flat master cylinder bracket is NOT going to work. It would, but the pedal would be stupid short. Looking around I saw Hurst Drivelines has a billet bracket that uses the same master (tilton 75 series). After mocking it up I have to angle the master down 60 so it'll mate to the factory clutch pivot point. Welding buddy mentioned I could use a pipe nipple with a flange welled to it, that's on the to do list.

Also struggling with modifying coil bracket to clear brake booster, get new 9" booster, or hydro boost out of junkyard.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #171 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 18, 8:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Alright guys, back into it, got sick and it put me down for a bit.

Got back to the yard, picked up the hydro boost I previously passed on $26, found out $40 rebuild kit will seal it up, common problem.

Started out with this, had to press out the factory Tahoe mounting bolts, fill in the holes, drill 64 mounting holes, and build clutch master mount.

Unfortunately this meant butchering the first plate me and my welding buddy put together.

My welding buddy contributed a pipe nipple to the clutch mount and stuck around to help me navigate the details of putting this setup together. Remeasured the clutch setup, ended up with 12 degree down angle to hit the factory clutch mount.

Test fitting, piston is close to spark plug wires, but not much I can do. You can run the hydro flipped 180 but that puts the lines into the clutch master.

Straight shot right to the pedal. Have to put a couple beads in the push rod, hole is way bigger than 64 pin, have to close up the slop.

Welds smoothed, sand blasted, and ready for paint.

Also found a gauge solution. Still thinking about how I'm going to implement them, but $27.32 for 04 trailblazer cluster, couldn't not get them.

Possibly cutting it up and putting them in factory holes? That'll be down the road, for now just going to poorly mount them.

Also picked up a grommet for the firewall and fuse box mount so I can hang out under the dash. To be continued.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #172 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 9:40 AM
Tech Team
John

I like the look of the gauges, hope the integration into the cluster goes well.
post #173 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
I like the look of the gauges, hope the integration into the cluster goes well.
Thank ya sir, didn't think they looked too bad myself. Unfortunately they may be hanging from zip ties for the time being.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #174 of 396 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 8:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Cleaned the garage from the Saturday thrash then finally got the rear springs settled on the axle and the car is now resting on it's full suspension. Time to torque all the bushings down. Painted the brake booster bracket.. twice. Got a nice even coat on it, went to put final coat and the damn thing wrinkled up. Cleaned it off and started over, while it was bare I knocked a tiny drain hole at the bottom of the pipe.

Cleaned up the interior while I was on a roll and found my glovebox door screws. Have been looking for them for a while!

Got my new glovebox light and rubber bumpers installed too.. any progress is progress. Think there's a filter that's supposed to go over the light, might just switch out to LED.

I needed o2 sensors, the one for the engine have a funky looking wideband connector, they're $100/ea. Figured for a little more I could use widebands and wire in the narrowband output to the ECM. Also having wideband readouts on the dash is just added fun. Reason I chose these was price, shallow gauge depth, and biggest numeric readout of all the other gauges on the market.

Took a little time to widdle the holes big enough for the bungs but got them burned in. Have to find copper antiseize to put on the primaries before I slide the collectors on for good, it'll help seal, provide better conductivity for the o2 sensors, and keep the pipes from rusting together if I ever need to pull them out again.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #175 of 396 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 8:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

No real news to report, stripped wiring harness off engine Monday, pulled headers, and prepped for yanking it out one last time. While I was pulling the harness I noticed a little detail that escaped me before. facepalm.

Worked on brother's truck Tuesday night. Last night I got back out in the garage, all set to measure driveshaft length so I could get it cut while doing everything else. Hard no. Blazer driveshaft I have won't work. Has harmonic balancer on yoke, it hits the t56 before the yoke is halfway in the trans. I was hesitant to use it because it'd gone rusty in the shed, used some type of rust away liquid, it worked, but yoke wasn't smooth afterwards, so not too heartbroken over it. I can use the 64 yoke, BUT, it's been widdled away over the years and isn't very tight in the trans, plus it has the smaller u-joint. SO, I've got to go to the yard again to find a yoke or just buy a new one. Yard is $12 for driveshaft, new one is $57. dammit.

Noticed I'd gotten metal/grinding material in trans output when it was tucked under the car, so I have to drop the rear casing, clean it out, then put it back together. Going to replace rear bushing and seal while it's apart. Have to add washers to shifter centering springs, shifter will sit to one side or another and not center, think PO cut springs down for some reason. Got trans down, slave off, and installed remote bleeder and AN line for clutch master. Engine is coming out tonight, cutting firewall for tahoe grommet and adding holes for trans bolts. I'd rather have covered holes in the firewall than missing bolts in the bellhousing with as much abuse as this car is going to get. While it's out going to mate engine/trans, smooth/groom wiring harness some more, and try to get factory fuel lines to fit tighter to trans. After that, it's going all back in for final assembly.
Dan65ss likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #176 of 396 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 10:42 AM
Tech Team
John

As you said progress is progress! Im enjoying the journey.
Hotwire likes this.
post #177 of 396 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 18, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
As you said progress is progress! Im enjoying the journey.
Preciate it, I'm definitely trying!

Engine is out, installed the clutch while the engine was on the hoist, glad I did. Dowel pins were not correct for the pressure plate so I had to drop the flywheel and knock them out. Also didn't have the clutch 100% lined up, would have been a complete bear under the car w/ the tight tunnel..

Was worried about the reverse light switch harness rubbing on the trans tunnel, found fords were running a low profile switch w/ extended harness, so motorcraft parts added to the chinese list..

Love this look.. kinda want to buy a black coated AN line for the bleeder to match the feed line, but that's money that'll go elsewhere.

I'm concerned at how much I'm looking forward to doing this? Will be grooming the harness to get all the wires sitting cleanly then will feed everything through the grommet, will be much easier sitting there. Also have my cutouts and 02 harnesses there so I remember to run them. Only thing I don't have ready is alt charging wire and starter cable.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #178 of 396 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Stopped by hazard fraught during lunch today and grabbed an air nibbler, damn thing got the job done pretty quick.

3.25" hole

Then got to grooming the wiring harness, think it came out decent. Left service loops in it and made gradual bends between engine and firewall to relieve any mechanical stress.

Starting out

Ending for the night

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #179 of 396 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 18, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Fell in love w/ the 02 camaro SS rims when I had the blazer. Watched them drive away and got a pang in the heart. I have 3 good rims and 1 busted rim from when the blazer was wrecked. For the price of repairing the one rim and painting all 4 to match I ran across a killer deal on craigslist, so took a little trip last night.

These things look brand new! Not a single blemish! Way too good for this rustbucket! Now I have to get serious about making them fit.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #180 of 396 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 18, 4:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I am interested in seeing how you do this. Those are positive offset rims. Spacers up front? Extra wide rear end? What is the offset?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in