Making some head way on the '66 - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 142 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 16, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Making some head way on the '66

The AAW crimpers will give you a machine made appearance as well. They have a rental program but I think once you use them it would be hard to send them back. I do have several ratchet type crimpers that work well on the standard aftermarket insulated terminals, one has interchangeable dies.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 142 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 1:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Finally something new to report. Been busy, busy, busy but it just doesn't look like it, lol. Finally got the hood, core support, tie bar, and bumper filler panel painted and installed. The exterior is the same as done, except for replacing a few pieces of ill fitting trim, damn repop crap. Just about done with the wiring, at least the real important stuff. I have a trunk full of audio equipment that will still need to be completed as well as a few 'options' that I'll be adding later. Probably the biggest hurdle keeping me from starting her now is plumbing the power steering pump/hydro boost/rack and pinion. I've been holding out on finding a black braided kit but no joy as of yet, may have to go the old rubber line route... I was really happy with the a/c compressor adapter that I found on Summit that redirects the lines down to the point that they are almost invisible in the engine compartment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01201701.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	415785   Click image for larger version

Name:	01201702.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	415793   Click image for larger version

Name:	01201704.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	415801   Click image for larger version

Name:	01201705.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	415809  

red68chevL and jaketoolson like this.

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #33 of 142 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 5:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Coming along very nicely.

post #34 of 142 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 17, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Thx Terry, it's coming along, I hope to start it this week and then I'm down to the interior. Doing custom door panels and console, but I've already have them built, just have to get them covered...

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #35 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 7:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Well... it's been a bit slow going as of late but that hasn't really deterred me any. One of the biggest hurdles was finding a source for power steering lines that a) would fit my pump/hydro boost/rack/seservior/filter/pump, and b) would match, at least color and material wise, with my other type of lines, black braided with black and red fittings. I wasn't able to match my set up completely but I did find a black braided line kit with black fittings. Doing a Google search I found a company called Gotta Show that did a line kit but when I emailed them about a kit specific for my '66 I didn't get a response. So, I saw that SoCal Ariziona was a dealer for them so I dropped them a line.

Well, if you haven't dealt with SoCal Arizona before I'll tell you that these people are saints! Kind of like the guys at UMI, finding solutions for parts that they didn't actually sell in the first place. Well I emailed them and asked about a kit and I got a response back from a guy named Kleiner inquiring about line and fitting sizes. Well that was a disaster, I first told him what I thought the fitting sizes were based upon info I found or received from the original parts providers. which was wrong. However, Kleiner was a real trooper and it never phased him, we worked it out together and ultimately they are building me a one off custom set of lines to complete the plumbing. What a guy, even after I sent him on a wild goose chase he stuck it out and found me what I wanted and needed. So, if you need some parts for your ride, you may want to give SoCal Arizona a try, they have a pretty comprehensive catalog of parts available.

So, while I wait for the lines to arrive I continued on completing wiring. As of now I have the back half of the car completely wired and probably 90% of the rest of the wiring done as well. But I wanted to button up the back end and put a check mark beside that item on the list so I got all of my audio components and corresponding wiring out and installed that as well as my custom trunk enclosure that I built. There is going to be a ton of copper wire in this pig, lol. But some of you may have already seen my trunk enclosure in other threads on the site in various stages of completion. But, I'm really thrilled with the finished product, on either side of the car I have removable panels that allow me to hide stuff out of the way yet be accessible. On the driver side I installed my 2 Rockford Fosgate amps, the 1200 watt one for the two 12" subs and the 600 watt 4 channel amp for the 8 component speakers located through out the interior. Some of you may be thinking that it may be a bit over kill but the worst thing you can do in designing an audio system is under power it. But actually, what I hope to acheive is a fuller sound at low to mid volume without having to over drive the components. I wired the subs and speakers in parallel that effectively lowered my ohm resistance and will allow them to play brighter and give a full sound on the bottom end without sending so much dirty power to them.

As you can see in the pictures, I had a bunch of stuff and this wasn't even all of it. I built and covered speaker boxes for the two set of 6.75" speakers that will hang from the rear package tray. The face of the speakers are recessed about a 1/2" that allows the boxes to mount flush to the irregular under side of the package tray. Under the package tray area is also where I'm going to mount my dual Optima batteries and battery isolator. I elevated the amps 3/4" to allow air movements all around the amps as well as allowing me to route the wiring back underneath the amps allowing for a really clean set up. The other side will contain an assortment of road side emergency tools and supplies in the event of a break down. Also, I am creating my 'jump box' behind that panel as well where I will be able to connect to the batteries if need be. The Chevelle logo in the center of the trunk floor is oak inlay that I did with my homemade CNC machine. I still have to cover the back corners of the trunk with the sub carpeting but I will leave them 'open' in order to access the taillights and other wiring without having to remove any of the trunk enclosure.

The last picture shows the basic layout of the battery area, before I carpeted the back side of the sub enclosure and hung the speakers. I am adding lights in that area as well in order to be able to see what I got going on in the event of having to work in there. But, it will house my in line fuses, junction boxes, bulkheads, and relays for various parts, etc. and will be sealed off from the passenger areas and additional insulation and sound deadener applied.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t5.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	421618   Click image for larger version

Name:	t4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	421626   Click image for larger version

Name:	t3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	421634   Click image for larger version

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	421642  

Name:	t2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	421650   Click image for larger version

Name:	batttery box.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	421658  
eriksoroy likes this.

Last edited by 66 Bu; Feb 15th, 17 at 6:13 PM.
post #36 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Garage

Trunk enclosure is beautiful. About how much extra weight is back there with all the stereo equipment and floor? Looking forward to seeing the hydroboost lines.

63 Nova wagon

post #37 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

That is nice.

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

post #38 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 12:24 PM
Team Member
Dave

You've got wood! And so would anyone else after looking at that clean install!

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #39 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Thanks guys! I'm pretty proud of the trunk, especially for my first attempt at building a trunk enclosure. But I'm not going to lie, she will be a bit of a pig when it's all said in done. The wiring alone in the car will add several pounds to her, but I knew that going in to this. Between a new updated wiring harness, the EFI harness, transmission harness, digital ignition harness, a/c, cruise, windows, window express modules, locks, keyless entry, push to start, security, power seats, back up camera, retained accessory power module, dual batteries, HID headlights, just to mention a few off the top of my head and then the added hardware... Then with the 4L80e coming in at 60+ lbs heavier, audio equipment, heavy wheels, and several added pounds of undercoating, insulation, and sound deadener... It will be interesting to see where she comes in at, weight wise, when she's done. However, she should be a blast to drive!

The trunk enclosure itself isn't all that bad, weight wise, I designed it in such a way that all of the individual components of the structure use the other to get it's strength. I started with a 1 x 2 sub floor covered with 1/2" chip board, and then an engineered laminate hardwood floor. The floor pieces interlock together to form one large piece. Framed the rest with more 1 x 2's and the panels are 1/4" sub flooring. The heaviest part is the sub box, it's made out of 5/8" and 3/4" MDF. The entire unit, besides the rear panel, can be assembled outside of the car and is free standing. I actually built the enclosure in my office at my house, lol, and then took it to the shop for installation. I covered the entire thing with sub box carpeting, which is very durable, even the framing in the quarters. I was going to carpet the floor but with all the black I was afraid that it would all just melt into each other a little more than I would like. Then I thought that the rich, deep color of the wood would contrast nicely and add something a little different. I'm working on the interior now and I am planning on tying some of the same wood in it as well to kind of bring it all together. I bought the wood flooring at Lowes for $29 and the beauty thing about it is if one piece were to get damaged I can just replace it easily. I probably have a total of $150 in the entire enclosure. I will admit that I probably get the most comments about the trunk, lol. Who would have thought?

But the entire theme, if you want to call it that, for this build has been based on simplicity, at least in outward appearances. The routing of the wires and lines and simple and clean attributes will hopefully will create something in the end that you will find more of the details the longer you look at her. I have a lot of hours in planning and mock up in this build, trying to strike that balance of accessibility while hiding as much as possible. I hope you all like and enjoy looking at her.

post #40 of 142 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

So, I've been going back and forth about what to do with my back seat. I mean I know that I'm going to go with a split/bucket type arrangement in the back with the center console dividing them as it continues on it's way to the top of the package tray. What I didn't know is whether I was going to 1) buy bare foams/buns of an existing similar seat as those I'm using in the front or 2) build something completely custom from scratch. I went with option 3, lol. I bought a set of Recaro sets from my new friend from Poland, Recaro Max, last fall, a pretty conservative set bolster and shape wise. In fact, they are exactly the same width and height as the factory seats, but A LOT more comfortable and electric. Well, I happen to be on Ebay last week and I saw that my buddy had a set real similar to the first set I bought on there but a lot cheaper. So I emailed my buddy and asked if he'd take less if I didn't need sliders or the headrest and if so I'd like for him to measure them and send that info to me. Well since he's my buddy he was quick to accommodate my request and made me a smoking deal of the pair less the head rests and sliders. The measurements he sent looked like they would fit very nicely so I bought the set.

Tomorrow I'm going to the shop and start mocking up the design to finish a platform to set them on, the back support, center console, and door panels to complete the rear upholstery. The center console will continue up to and into the package tray, as will the door panels. I got the set of seats yesterday evening and took them out to the shop today and set them in there just to see what I had to work with. They fit in the area very nicely so I think it's all going to work out. I'm going to do a little foam work on the lower bolsters to fill in the rear portion of the seats a little more. Below is a picture of what they looked like with part of an old console prototype just to get an idea of what it would look like. Hopefully I'll have a photo of the entire mock up tomorrow night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back seats.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	421946  
Strictly Attitude likes this.

post #41 of 142 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 17, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Well, I finally have something to add, I know it's been a while since the last update. I got slowed down a bit a week or so ago, had a little congestive heart failure and spent 4 days in the hospital. The took 28 lbs of fluid out of me though, feel like a new man, lol! All is good now, they adjusted my meds and I should be good to go again for a while!

I've been working on the back seat area again, and though it doesn't look like it I've got quite a bit figured out. I have the platform that will support and level the seats built and a frame/raceway from back to front that will support the console and wiring channel, the shifter mounted, rear portion of the console mocked up, and attachment points created to mount it securely in the car. Originally I was going to have the armrest in the back built in but decided that it was too tall and would look better if I cut the height down some. So, I'm going to have the armrest be a fold down version. I'm going to put either a lid on the lower part or make a cubby behind the fold down arm rest for storage for things like wireless headphones and a few of my granddaughter's movies. Gotta keep the boss happy, lol.

She still looks a little rough but it will look almost factory made when I'm done with her, lol, I hope. The important part is that I have a skeleton to work from now. I'm probably going to cut the parts that frames the seat back a little bit, I'm going to have the console rise a little bit above the that part. The plan is, as I said earlier, to have a fold down arm rest in the console part that will include a couple of cup holders as well. I have the rear monitor mounted, it's actually a wireless monitor that can be taken out of it's mount and be hand held if you prefer.

Ultimately the console will come up through the center of what you see there and onto the package tray and hold a 3rd brake light. I still have to cut the lid into the front section of console but I did manage to get the switches mocked and the start of the shifter bezel. Add/replace a few pieces here and there, a little bondo, some foam, and leather and she'll look marvelous, lol. I picked up some 3 point seat belts for the back as well. For the most part they will be hidden behind the back door panels, so that was kind of cool. Stay tuned for part 3...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back seat 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	424730   Click image for larger version

Name:	back seat 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	424738   Click image for larger version

Name:	back seat 4.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	424746  
wyattroa likes this.

post #42 of 142 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 17, 4:27 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Is that a touch pad in the center console backseat?
post #43 of 142 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 17, 4:35 PM
Administrator

Garage

Looking good. What are the lock and window buttons from?

63 Nova wagon

post #44 of 142 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 17, 5:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Looking good. What are the lock and window buttons from?
Philip, I bought those from A1 Electric when I bought the power windows. They are real similar to the ones in my Silverado and I really like them. A little pricey but I wanted to make sure that what I bought would work with my windows. I also bought the 'one touch express up and down' modules for the front windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Is that a touch pad in the center console backseat?
Robert, It's not a touch screen, it's a 7" LCD monitor. It is pretty cool though, besides only costing $45, it is high resolution, wide screen, came with a shroud to mount it, and has 2 inputs. With the 2 inputs you can hook it up to another source, whether it be a DVD player, game station, or a back up camera. I also like the fact that you can release it from the shroud and hold it in your lap if you want, or, they include another mount/stand that you can use as well...

post #45 of 142 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 17, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

And another thing with my windows, I bought a push to start/keyless entry system for the ol' girl and when you lock the door it will automatically close all 4 windows, lol. Between the one touch express and the auto close feature it's pretty much the lazy man's window system! At least I don't have to worry about someone leaving a window down when out and about...
LeoP likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 764 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.