After 17 years on this site... 1968 Chevelle 300 2dr Post - Page 16 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #226 of 248 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Re: After 17 years on this site... 1968 Chevelle 300 2dr Post

I really like how the steering wheel came out also. What .kind of paint did you use? Rattle can?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 248 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 3:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
I believe there were 2 different heater controls, early production and late production. The reason i say this is because my '68 300 deluxe was built on the last shift of the last day of '68 production for the Fremont, Ca. plant. My heater controls have a lighted face, provision for the bulb and the wiring to power the bulb. I bought a set of heater controls at a swap meet just for the cables, this set up did not have the provisions for a bulb. I don't know when the swap meet part was built, but as we know, G.M. did weird stuff back then. Just my opinion , not proven fact. Terry
Interesting. Mine had the provision for the bulb (round opening on the RH side of the controls) but no trace of a wire. I even searched the harness for signs of a stub). Of course its possible that the control could have been swapped at some time, based on some minor changes I found I do suspect the car had been ""restored"" sometime around 20 years ago or so, long before it was hotrodded, so anything is possible

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #228 of 248 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 3:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Chev View Post
I really like how the steering wheel came out also. What .kind of paint did you use? Rattle can?
Its SEM Color Coat Landeau black, same as the dashboard & the steering column.
I sanded the steering wheel down through the gold pain in many places, then cleaned it, shot first with SEM sand free adhesion promoter then the paint.

So far so good, thought haven't really abused it much yet.
It didn't peel off with my fingers the first few times I took it out to drive in the hot sun, so I figure thats a win!
68-13427 likes this.

Ben R.

-

post #229 of 248 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 9:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Read about it on Amazon. Sounds like a really good product. Amazing results. Maybe I will use it when I redo my steering wheel,etc.

Thanks for the tip.
post #230 of 248 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 19, 2:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

After 3 years of slowly revealing the metallic gold underneath the nasty green & primer that was painted on the car, I finally got to a point where I was ready to try to wet sand and buff the car.

I did the drivers side last weekend, 800 grit followed by 1000 git followed by 3m Medium cut on a rotory buffer. I was very pleased with the results, though couldn't really take a photo that would show it!

This weekend I did the passenger side which the paint was noticeably worse above the old body trim line... And again I am very pleased with the outcome!

I did managed to snap a couple pics showing off the shine at the right angle- The metal flake doesn't show in the pics but it really pops in person(all 3 layers of it).

Now my motivation is renewed to finish getting the grey off the roof and trunk, and yes, those last green spots on the rockers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190729_201813.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	599340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190729_201806.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	599342  

Ben R.

-

post #231 of 248 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 1:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

That's funny, i have that same car in my garage. Terry
post #232 of 248 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 5:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
That's funny, i have that same car in my garage. Terry
Is yours upside down too?
;-)

Ben R.

-

post #233 of 248 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 9:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Garage

Great job Rambo, you saved another Chevelle!

Scott
70 Chevelle SS396, L34
73 Camaro Z-28
32 Ford Model B Pickup
post #234 of 248 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 19, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
Is yours upside down too?
;-)
No, but at least yours has paint on it. Terry
post #235 of 248 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 4:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Went racing last night
Best run (on radial t/a street tires) was [email protected]

https://youtu.be/PR6Q7_RYPHM

Very pleased with those numbers considering I have almost no experience launching a 4spd car with this kind of power on street tires. This was just babying it off idle and rolling off the line.

I feel it has a lot left on the table to improve with tuning and practice launching and shifting... No plans for sticky tires at this time, not sure how much longer the 10 bolt will live anyway. It makes angry noises when turning after it has heated up

I last raced my 68 elk in 2008 before selling it. That car ran high 12s on drag radials with an auto.

I've only raced twice in the years since then and both cars were slow enough not to be interesting (for me) to persue racing them... but this felt great again, and I WILL be racing this car again.

🆒
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2753_02_1565507105758.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	825.9 KB
ID:	600204  

Ben R.

-

post #236 of 248 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 5:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Finnally getting my unassembled door panels finished and installed.

These are 2 door sedan (post) door panels from pui... they only come unassembled because the top rails are different than hardtop cars.

Driver's and passenger are done... Need to take the top rails off the original rears next and clean them up for reuse.

Have to say the door panel sticky in the interiors forum was very helpful!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190831_200415_1567326445475.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	602088  
LeoP and davewho1 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #237 of 248 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 2:01 PM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

As I have seen here 68's RULE!

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
post #238 of 248 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 2:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Congratulations on your find! Looks like a nice solid Chevelle. Enjoy the build.
post #239 of 248 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 2:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
Finnally getting my unassembled door panels finished and installed.

These are 2 door sedan (post) door panels from pui... they only come unassembled because the top rails are different than hardtop cars.

Driver's and passenger are done... Need to take the top rails off the original rears next and clean them up for reuse.

Have to say the door panel sticky in the interiors forum was very helpful!
Loos great man! Do the 300s not come with the chrome panel behind the armrest?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #240 of 248 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 4:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Loos great man! Do the 300s not come with the chrome panel behind the armrest?
No 300s didn't get them, and not all the other trim models either... My 68 elk ss (1388) didn't have them either. Not sure exactly what combination for them. There was another thread discussing that the door latch handle stud is longer for those models to extend it past that plate. Interesting stuff.

Just finished the pass side a few moments ago... looking a little different than 3 years ago!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190901_115503_1567364728290.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	602136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160719_194249_1567364810538.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	602138  
ZZ69chevelle, LeoP and davewho1 like this.

Ben R.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in