After 17 years on this site... 1968 Chevelle 300 2dr Post - Page 15 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

277Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #211 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 2:28 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: After 17 years on this site... 1968 Chevelle 300 2dr Post

So Ben. If you end up painting your car will you do that yourself or maybe go the Maaco route?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 2:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SuperSport* View Post
Yea, I'd almost rather go back to old school primer black or grey than have to mess with wrap removal and glue residue. Or just drive it the way it is until I could get it into paint.

Wraps and plasti dip are ok for rides that aren't gonna be clean builds as the endgame.
Yup... The other thing to consider is that it does need some panel replacement... And like everything else Its something that I probably should figure out how to do myself.... If i wrap it, then its gotta come off to cut and weld on panels. If i leave it off, I can mess around with cutting and welding and it won't look any "worse" LOL.
123pugsy likes this.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #213 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 3:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Why not just go with a good primer job ? I'm not painting mine for awhile and several friends have said they love the flat black look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3348.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	594992  
RAMBO, RealRed70, 123pugsy and 1 others like this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior

post #214 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 4:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Why not just go with a good primer job ? I'm not painting mine for awhile and several friends have said they love the flat black look
I like the satin black look and that was originally my plan... but the car has decent looking patina, so I'll probably continue to run it as-is and start doing panel replacement next winter.

Ben R.

-

post #215 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 8:29 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Beth,
I am not an expert but I believe that if done in primer that the body is still open to moisture and could possibly continue to deteriorate but if done in satin black it would be sealed off. So can anyone confirm or deny this? So basically it it paint vs primer.
post #216 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I like getting the green off of it. The "Patina" looks pretty good. One guys said to primer it. If you went with Epoxy primer you wouldn't have to worry about rust. Don't

just regular primer it over bare metal! I had a friend in high school that did this with his 56 Chevy hardtop. We both had 56 chevys. He got rust all under the primer... Not a good thing.
post #217 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 19, 8:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Ben, leave the stock green on it and rock it like it is. Terry
post #218 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 3:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Done! What a pita this project has been, but couldn't be happier with the results.

Finished sanding and painting the wheel over the weekend and installed today.

Decided not to proceed with repairing and dye-ing the original door panels... Will pickup a set of new ones instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190609_131512_1560147233688.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	595458  

Ben R.

-

post #219 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 9:37 AM
Tech Team

I'm glad you ended up not selling that wheel. I think it's super cool and looks great after you got the color changed.
RAMBO likes this.
post #220 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 4:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SuperSport* View Post
I'm glad you ended up not selling that wheel. I think it's super cool and looks great after you got the color changed.
I have to say that I like it a lot better now that its black. The Horn button is really striking with the chrome accents. Really wasn't when it was the green/gold.

PITA to sand and prep a wheel for paint.... Like everything else with the color change project I guess! LOL
davewho1 and 68-13427 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #221 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 12:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

So that's what the 300 Deluxe wheel looks like. Mine came with the 3 spoke Malibu wheel. Looks great Ben. Terry
post #222 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
So that's what the 300 Deluxe wheel looks like. Mine came with the 3 spoke Malibu wheel. Looks great Ben. Terry
Yes- This would have been the base wheel for 300 series cars.
Mine is just a 300, not a deluxe.

The 300 deluxe also recieved an extra "chrome" (mylar) horizontal strip on the door panel, vs the 300 cars that did not.

very subtle stuff.

I also discovered while redoing my dash bulbs that there is no wire on this car (because its a 300 i assume) for the heater control light bulb. The socket hole is on the control, but there is no corresponding wire or socket for a bulb to go there. I thought about just splicing into one of the others, but in the end left it as it was. Weird.

Ben R.

-

post #223 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
Yes- This would have been the base wheel for 300 series cars.

Mine is just a 300, not a deluxe.

The 300 deluxe also recieved an extra "chrome" (mylar) horizontal strip on the door panel, vs the 300 cars that did not.

very subtle stuff.

I also discovered while redoing my dash bulbs that there is no wire on this car (because its a 300 i assume) for the heater control light bulb. The socket hole is on the control, but there is no corresponding wire or socket for a bulb to go there. I thought about just splicing into one of the others, but in the end left it as it was. Weird.
They probably saved 50 cents by omitting that wire.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #224 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 1:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
They probably saved 50 cents by omitting that wire.
I know right??? Lol.

Ben R.

-

post #225 of 250 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 19, 7:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

I believe there were 2 different heater controls, early production and late production. The reason i say this is because my '68 300 deluxe was built on the last shift of the last day of '68 production for the Fremont, Ca. plant. My heater controls have a lighted face, provision for the bulb and the wiring to power the bulb. I bought a set of heater controls at a swap meet just for the cables, this set up did not have the provisions for a bulb. I don't know when the swap meet part was built, but as we know, G.M. did weird stuff back then. Just my opinion , not proven fact. Terry
RAMBO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in