Project "It aint a Space Shuttle" 70 Chevelle Coupe - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 16, 7:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Project "It aint a Space Shuttle" 70 Chevelle Coupe

So I finally got some motivation after not really touching my project car for almost 6 years. I bought this car in 2008 with the intention of it being a 8-10 year project for me. It was a relatively clean 70 with a few minor spots of rust, but was in fairly good condition, and had most of the bits and pieces that I needed. During this build, I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and it can bog me down quite a bit at times if I'm not sure how to tackle something, or something doesn't quite work the way that I thought it should. It's happened a few times over the last 8 years and I always think back to a friend of mine when I was building my rock crawler. Anytime I'd get worried about details, or get hung up on something that didn't matter, he'd always tell me, "Look man, we're not building a space shuttle here. It's good enough!" Over the course of this build I have to tell myself that over and over. Anyway enjoy the pictures, I'll do my best to keep updating this tread as the build progresses.

My preliminary vision for the car was an image that I saw online, and although over time my vision has changed a bit, this is what my goals were...

My story starts off like many others. a 70 Chevelle has been my dream car since I was about 10 years old. I loved the look of the car, the sound of the car, but wanted many of the modern conveniences that we all take for granted in todays modern cars. Effectively I wanted something that looked the part of a 70 Chevelle, but that was reliable, comfortable, and powerful. So I bought this shell of a car.

After I got it home I started to work on stuff that I could manage in my garage without spending a bunch of cash on. My plans for the car was LS7 (yeah right)... T-56, Nice smooth lowered suspension, Great AC (a must in Arizona), The car itself smelled like rat turds, so I tore everything out of the inside and pressure washed the whole thing. After it was clean of the dirt, grime, and turds, I smelled a lot better, and it also allowed me to evaluate fully what I'd brought home.

Progress on this build will be painfully slow. Although I've gotten the urge to get this thing back on track, I have a VERY full time job, my wife is in grad school, and I have 3 kids at home. I am working on some innovative (cheap) stuff here in an effort to achieve my goals without breaking the bank. So far ALL of the work has been done by myself, and the either my dad or my son. The only outside assistance has been the custom engine mounts that I had made at a friends machine shop.
71350SS likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)

Last edited by Philip; Jul 4th, 16 at 6:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 16, 7:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Project "It aint a Space Shuttle" 70 Chevelle Coupe

Subscribed.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #3 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 16, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Subscribed as well. I can't see any of the images? BTW, are you an engineer? If not, you have the mind of one, I do that exact same thing on nearly everything I tear into on my Chevelle. I might rip it apart again if I'm not happy with how something looks or functions. Back to your car, since you have load out what you wanted, what's the actual plan? LS motor? Stock interior?

post #4 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 9:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Love to see the pics also...

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

post #5 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:13 PM
Administrator

Garage

Photos should be visible now, let me know if they are not.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #6 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Photos should be visible now, let me know if they are not.

Thanks for the help Philip!

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #7 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:21 PM
Administrator

Garage

The 70 Malibu I had was the same color green originally. Spent years restoring it and lost it in a divorce. She kept my dog too

63 Nova wagon

post #8 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The 70 Malibu I had was the same color green originally. Spent years restoring it and lost it in a divorce. She kept my dog too

That right there is FUGLY

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

post #9 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Alright, Now that we got the pictures figured out, Now I'll continue with some of the progress that has been made on the car.

I mentioned that there was a couple of spots of rust that I wanted to take care of, and since I just dropped a bit of coin on the car itself, I was looking for stuff to do on the cheap... So Rust repair was what I started to tackle. Being a Southern California car, it spent it's life in the high desert, so all of the weather-stripping was more or less trashed. I bought some panels from ebay, craigslist, and OPGI to get me going.

First spot was the floor pans right under the front seats. Although there were only a small spots that had holes, there was heavy pitting, and I didn't like it.

So out it came:

and in went the new metal:

Repeated the same process for both front seats, and also had issues with the rear seat pans that turned out to be worse when I got the braces off... So those were replaced too.

Last edited by Tom Mobley; May 15th, 20 at 5:34 AM.
post #10 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

So Rust repair continued:

After the floors were in good shape, I decided to tackle the rear window rust. Most of it looked pretty good, but there were a couple little holes that I didn't like...

Started making small cuts...

Then they got bigger, as I kept finding more:

Until the whole damn thing came off.

and Santblasted:

Both sides of the window channel had some deep pitting that had to be fixed.

So I cut it out:

New piece fabricated. I cut the original piece just below the curve of the corner to preserve the trim and how it fit.

post #11 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

And all welded up with new pins for the trim:

I trimmed the tulip panel so that about 1 inch of the original panel was left to preserve the factory seam. Cleaned up with a wire brush and various abrasives.

Trimmed the aftermarket tulip panel to match:

But the rearmost portion of the panel didn't line up with the original curvature of the opening of the trunk panel:

Now that's where the fun stopped. Because I didn't have the weatherstripping, I didn't want to weld this on permanently. So it's still in this condition. I'll permanently attach it once I'm doing the body work...

post #12 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 6:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Subscribed as well. I can't see any of the images? BTW, are you an engineer? If not, you have the mind of one, I do that exact same thing on nearly everything I tear into on my Chevelle. I might rip it apart again if I'm not happy with how something looks or functions. Back to your car, since you have load out what you wanted, what's the actual plan? LS motor? Stock interior?

Actually yes, I am an engineer...

So not much on the car will be stock. I've got an LS2 and T-56 sitting between the framerails now. I also have dodge magnum seats (although thinking of swapping them for Challenger seats for the flip forward functionality). Not much on this will be stock. Stay tuned for more details...

post #13 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 7:04 PM
Administrator

Garage

Nice metal work, not stock but looking stock on the outside is my favorite kind of build. Modern drive trains, upgraded interior, bigger brakes all make it more fun to drive.
post #14 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 7:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

So when I started this project, I was a service engineer fixing medical equipment. I spent my life behind the wheel of a car driving 50-60K miles per year, and most of that time for the first few years was spent with my backside planted in a Dodge Magnum. It was gutless as it gets, but it was quiet and comfortable, so I sourced a set of pristine black cloth (I dislike leather and pleather).

The front seats look like they are a bit tall, but with some trimming of the bracketry, they should fit nicely, The rear seats however fit like they were made for this thing... width wise anyway. The bottom of the seat follows the contour of the floor perfectly, and I only had to trim a little bit of foam from the bottom to get it to sit nicely. The seat backs were a little tall, so I modified them to fit.

This is post surgery...

Now those seats are just mocked into place, and the covers aren't trimmed yet, just tucked underneath. An upholstery guy I am not, so I'll have to leave that to professionals so it doesn't look like crap...

There is some extra bracing that I need to do because I removed the separator, but the 2X2 tubing at the top of the seat backs will be the start of that bracing.

This is effectively where that project stopped for now until I get farther along with the interior. I didn't mount the front seats yet because I didn't know what was going to happen with the transmission tunnel, I didn't want to mount them, then have to move them because I needed to widen the tunnel.

post #15 of 243 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 7:22 PM
Administrator

Garage

Late model bucket seats seem to be designed for flat floors. Are the Mopar front seats that way? The rear seat looks good in there.

I removed the raised area for the bench seat mount in my 72 to get 06 GTO seats in and down low enough to look good. Being a wagon my options for the rear seat were nill.

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in