Project "It aint a Space Shuttle" 70 Chevelle Coupe - Page 13 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #181 of 215 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 9:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: Project "It aint a Space Shuttle" 70 Chevelle Coupe

Had to work last weekend, so no time to work on the car. Spend a little time out working on it yesterday and today. The Middle of the headliner actually looks pretty good and will only need a little body work to be nice and smooth. The edges on the other hand look pretty crappy, as did where the visors mount, and by the rear window. So I spent the better part of the weekend working on that. Lots of smaller jobs with the fiberglass resin. Filling in holes and gaps, waiting for the resin to harden, then sand, then repeat... That part is pretty boring so I didn't take any pictures of it...

In between, I decided that I'd start stripping the passenger side quarter panel. I found some body filler when I replaced the lower part of the quarter last year. There was a TON of filler in this quarter for just a couple of small dents... Makes me wonder...

Did a little hammer and dolly work and got it pretty darn close, Good enough for a skim coat of filler.

I decided to strip the door too because there was some cracking about 1/4 of an inch in from the back of the door... Here I found something that I'm not too happy with. I know this was the way that it was done, but man, that pisses me off. There was 3/8-1/2 inch of body filler on this door.

Off I went to harbor freight and picked up a new toy... I was a little skeptical at first after reading some of the reviews, but this thing ROCKS!!!! Quite a few people state they had problems with the slide hammer, but this one is Mint! I have a new favorite tool!!!! Please keep in mind that I'm no body man, Just too cheap to pay someone else. That being said, I'm also pretty frugal, so I'm going to try to save that door skin with this new toy.

Started with a couple really small dents right above the wheel arch, 5 minutes later it was good to go!

Next was a couple drag marks (someone hit something while moving, and it pushed in the quarter about 1/2 way up right behind the door.

Got the lower dent all pined up. Just need to pull it, and that's when my day ended. Spend the rest of the day with the family. To be continued...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 215 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 1:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Over the last few weeks, I've spent a little time still hammering away at this thing (pun intended). I've been jumping around between the headliner, and the first round of body work. For the body work, I'm basically working at the belt line down for both the doors and the quarters. This side also had an amazing amount of filler on it too. The Quarter had areas where it was over 3/8" thick. Although there isn't a straight panel on this thing, I couldn't find any reason for that much filler...

This is back on the passenger side. This is as close as we could get it. Probably spent 6 hours getting it to this point. I know I could just re-skin the door, but I'd really like to keep as much original sheet metal on this thing as I can. Plus if the body work looks like crap, I can just reskin it... Overall from where this thing started, it doesn't look too bad.

The Drivers side was pretty good, It's got more waves than the ocean, but no real crazy damage...

I had a little help in the Garage yesterday. He was pretty excited when he asked if he could try painting, and I said Sure! Had a few runs, a few dry spots, but overall not too shabby...

Then today, We started the filler work. I'm sure I could have spent a few more weeks/months/years trying to hammer out every imperfection, but I don't have the skill, experience, or know how to do that. We got all of the spots within 1/8", and I'm pretty happy with that. Now as I mentioned, This thing has more waves in it than the freaking ocean... By the time I'm done with this, it should be as smooth as glass... or at least I hope it is...

And Finally, I'm actually getting pretty close to being done with the headliner... Someone asked if I'd make these to sell... No Way! This is WAY too much work, customization, and finish work. I probably have 80 hours in this headliner, and I'm suspecting I'll have at least another 20 in it by the time It's all said and done. I was able to get the sun visors placed, the rear view mount, the visor supports, and the dome light placed and attached. The front edge, and the sides are attached and not going anywhere. I still have work to do on the rear window opening, and the triangle areas by the back window. I can't wait for this to be done, so I can finally place the body back on the chassis...

I know it doesn't look like much yet, but it will... I have some smoothing work left to do, and then I'll prime it...

And before anyone mentions it, I realize now that the mask that my son was wearing is not appropriate for painting. I have since ordered the proper respirator, It should be here by Tuesday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #183 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 18, 8:53 PM
Administrator

Garage

I wish my shop had AC I am getting nothing done right now. Your car is looking better with every set of photos posted.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #184 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 7:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I wish my shop had AC I am getting nothing done right now. Your car is looking better with every set of photos posted.
Cooling that much volume is a challenge, Especially when it's not sealed up very well... Although I'm not complaining, I have to plan at least 8 hours in advance (usually the night before) to turn on the AC and have it reasonably cool by the time I'm working on it. It is pretty nice to be out there with the shop about 80-85 degrees, and walk outside and it's 110+... I'm also having to replace the darn air filter just about every weekend because of the dust...

I'm hoping I'm about a month away from being able to permanently reattach the body to the frame...

Also Just FYI, I got all of the parts for that steering box. What's your schedule look like over the next month or two. It's not crucial, and actually it's not really something I'll need until later this fall/winter.

post #185 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 1:02 PM
Administrator

Garage

Steve I would like to wait until cooler weather to do your steering gear, maybe later next month. Also need to clear a spot on the bench to be able to work.

63 Nova wagon

post #186 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Steve I would like to wait until cooler weather to do your steering gear, maybe later next month. Also need to clear a spot on the bench to be able to work.
I was thinking maybe October...

post #187 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttaco View Post
I was thinking maybe October...
I like your thought process

63 Nova wagon

post #188 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

............or, you both could come to my place. I can clear off one of the benches, and the shop is air conditioned..........

66 Malibu

post #189 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
............or, you both could come to my place. I can clear off one of the benches, and the shop is air conditioned..........
You guys just let me know what works for you. I'm game for whenever. Especially if there is AC involved...

post #190 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Garage

October works well. We need to finish her 56 before the Laughlin show or there will be hell rained down on us.

63 Nova wagon

post #191 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 3:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Amen to that, brother!

66 Malibu

post #192 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 11:03 PM
Team Member
Zip

Garage

Just finished reading your entire thread. Your an "animal", and I mean that in the kindest way.
I'll keep following along, want to see every step till the end.
post #193 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy1 View Post
Just finished reading your entire thread. Your an "animal", and I mean that in the kindest way.
I'll keep following along, want to see every step till the end.
I appreciate that! I'm hoping to keep up the momentum and make some substantial progress this year.

post #194 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 2:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Spent the better part of the last month trying to get the headliner as smooth as possible, and to make sure all of the contours are nice and even. I also devised a way to mount this in place that will keep it from sagging and drooping when it's upright. It'll also allow me to keep the headliner installed in the car in it's current condition without covering it with headliner fabric so it'll be nice and safe... I also spent a day or so cleaning up the back side of the quarter panels, and the underside of the top of the quarters, as these were never coated from the factory and had quite a bit of surface rust. I figured it'd be quite a bit easier to prime/paint them when the body is upside down...

Here is the headliner pre-filler work, you can also see if you look really closely, that the rear most area where the C-Pillar is isn't finished yet. I still had a few layers of fiberglass/felt to lay down.

Here it is post filler work:

Inside the quarters:

Then about an hour later we ended up with this:

The rest of this week, I'm traveling on business, so HOPEFULLY.... Next weekend, I'll get to reunite the body with the Chassis that's been taking up my parking spot in the garage...

Just as a tip to those of you out there using SPI Epoxy primer, I have a little bit of a tech tip... Your first coat of primer needs to be a light coat. Effectively just a tack coat. If you start spraying this stuff on thick, it starts to sort of fish-eye. I didn't find anything really specific online about it, but even before this stuff runs, it starts to look like fish-eye. If you do a nice dusting, wait 30+ mins, then do the medium/wet coat, looks like glass...
Philip likes this.

post #195 of 215 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Started out nice and early this morning (~5:30AM), The low last night was about 84 degrees, and I left the shop open to try to cool it down, The temp was nice, but it was pretty humid. Today, I wanted 2 to become 1...

Pulled the Chassis out of the garage, and wheeled it back to the shop.

I didn't take a lot of pictures of the process today, but took some video. Hopefully I'll get that edited together and posted someday... Here's the end result. I completely removed the rear suspension, Pulled the engine and transmission, then reattached the body to the frame. In addition to lining up the alignment holes I also measured the body and frame and made minor adjustments so that now the frame is square and even on the chassis all the way around.

One snag I ran into that was a little bit of a PITA, was the brake/fuel line holding clamps right next to the rear footwells had to be removed and relocated back on the frame. The floorboards were just to close to the frame for them to fit. Beyond that, it went together pretty smoothly. Don't know if I'll get a chance to work on this tomorrow. If I do, I'll post more pictures.

Steve
Zippy1 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in