Project "It aint a Space Shuttle" 70 Chevelle Coupe - Page 12 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #166 of 215 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 18, 1:35 AM
Bob

Re: Project "It aint a Space Shuttle" 70 Chevelle Coupe

Congrats on the new place! Good time of year to move down there though. I am overwhelmed looking at all your restoration, (I read it all in one sitting), I can't even imagine doing all that, looking good though. I'd never even thought about adding some of those creature comforts, ie wipers, to an old car. They would be nice, but after seeing the labor you put in, I think I'll just "rough it". Kudos to you for making all that work; looking forward to watching you get it all together!

(2) 70 2 doors, 396, 427 tall deck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 18, 1:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Not much of an update, but an update none the less. The last few months have been crazy, We got moved to the new house, I think I have spent just about every weekend except for one working on the house, setting up stuff, cleaning, painting, hanging pictures, etc... My wife finished Grad School, and on the way home from her graduation ceremony, I nailed a Deer in the family truckster (Dodge Caravan), and it was totaled by the insurance company. Two weeks ago, I was able to finally clean out our garage and get the cars parked in there. I also moved the chassis into the regular garage to get it out of the way until the body is ready for it... The last two weekends, I've spend organizing, reorganizing, hanging, unpacking, plumbing, and generally just getting the new shop set up. Today I think I'm at a point where I can actually use the shop as I intended... The welder is wired, Compressor is plumbed, Lighting is up, and tools are put away. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to getting this thing on the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97/04 Toyota Tacoma Hybrid 4 door pickup Rockcrawler

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #168 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 18, 9:09 AM
Administrator

Garage

Moving is such a chore. Glad to hear you are getting settled and back in the shop. Your photo has stopped displaying, it was working last night.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #169 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 6:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

First real update in 6 months... Today the weather cooperated with a little rain, and much cooler temps, so I spent the first 2/3 of the day out working on the car. Started out adding another layer of EZCool Mat down and used some 3M adhesive to hold it down. Trying to get the height of the mat to overcome the cross brace for the dome light.

Once that was done, I covered the entire roof in cardboard. Trying to keep all of the curves nice and smooth, and also symmetrical. I made sure to bolt in the rear view mirror mount, and the dome light hardware so that I could account for them.

Also going to try to keep this one piece if possible...

Rather than just keep is flat, I tried to add a little flare to it, per my daughters request. I also covered every square inch in packing tape to aide in removal of the liner when it's done...

Then I ran to Walmart to grab some felt in lieu of Fiberglass, I figured that I'd give this a go, as it'll be quite a bit easier to work with. I'll double it up if I need to. I'm planning on using the stock tack strips to hold the edges, and the dome light to hold the middle.

I took a break to take my daughter out for dinner and a movie for her birthday, so I'm hoping when we get back tonight after she gets to bed, I can coat this in resin... To Be Continued...
Philip likes this.

If you don't know where you're going. Any road will take you there. - Cheshire cat (Alice in Wonderland)
post #170 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 1:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

This is my first real time doing anything with fiberglass (or at least Fiberglass Resin), There are two coats of medium weight felt all saturated with resin. Trying to get the C-Pillars nice and straight was a challenge, and I had to soak them separately while rotating the body for each side. Then the sanding process started. I only got about 2/3 done with the first round of sanding. Overall I'm ecstatic. There are a few low spots that I'll need to bodywork, and I have a few high spots that I'll have to knock down and build back up. The edges are going to take me a while to square up and make nice and neat. I'll probably skim coat the whole thing too, just to make sure it's nice and smooth for the headliner material.

All in all, I still have a ton more work to do to make this what I want, but I got pretty far this weekend.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

post #171 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 9:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Not quite sure what the final goal is for the headliner, but it sure sounds like it's pretty much high tech like the new cars. Maybe I need one for my Malibu restomod that I just got back from paint....

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

post #172 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Interesting headliner. How are you going to attach it to the roof? Or will it be similar to today's cars where it is wedged up there? Still planning on using the "teeth" trim (cannot remember what it's named) for attaching the molding strips around front and sides?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #173 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
Not quite sure what the final goal is for the headliner, but it sure sounds like it's pretty much high tech like the new cars. Maybe I need one for my Malibu restomod that I just got back from paint....
No real plan, just never really liked the bows and fabric. I like the more modern hard headliners, and this will allow me to insulate the roof for both heat and noise, and hopefully make this car nice and quiet. I like my stuff to be unique. It's been a lot of work, but should be well worth while once it's completed.

post #174 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Interesting headliner. How are you going to attach it to the roof? Or will it be similar to today's cars where it is wedged up there? Still planning on using the "teeth" trim (cannot remember what it's named) for attaching the molding strips around front and sides?

The dome light will support the midddle, and I'm planning one using the factory windlace and tack strips to hold up the edges... not entirely how it'll work yet, but I guess i'll see here relatively soon...

post #175 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Did you consider using Dynamat or a similar product on the roof? Wonder how well it would hold up vertically??

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

post #176 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttaco View Post
The dome light will support the midddle, and I'm planning one using the factory windlace and tack strips to hold up the edges... not entirely how it'll work yet, but I guess i'll see here relatively soon...
Once you are done figuring it out, make a negative mold, then you can sell that design to someone and make a little side cash! Unless you want yours to be a one-off.....

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #177 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
Did you consider using Dynamat or a similar product on the roof? Wonder how well it would hold up vertically??
So underneath is already done in Lizard Skin (both the sounds and the heat coatings). I thought about doing Dynamat, but decided on Lizard Skin instead because of both the head and sound dampening qualities. I am also using two layers of EZCool mat for additional heat control. With summer temps being 115+ here in Arizona. I want this thing to be as cool as possible inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Once you are done figuring it out, make a negative mold, then you can sell that design to someone and make a little side cash! Unless you want yours to be a one-off.....

I considered doing that, and might still do it, but don't know if I'll want to do all of the extra work, and store a mold for a couple of side bucks. Maybe if there is enough interest, and I could just make a batch of them, I might just do it.

Steve

post #178 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 4:08 PM
Administrator

Garage

I only have the factory sound deadener/insulation in the roof of the wagon and the car cools down very well.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #179 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 4:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I only have the factory sound deadener/insulation in the roof of the wagon and the car cools down very well.
I've had a number of cars over the years. Some of them have been rather quiet, Some have been kind of loud when driving on the freeway. I'm trying to do my absolute best to ensure that the cabin is nice and quiet and comfortable so I don't hate driving it. If I love driving it, (from a comfort standpoint), then it won't sit like my rock crawler does. Don't get me wrong, I love the rock crawler, but it's not exactly comfortable on long drives.

I don't know what this thing will ultimately be like driving, but I'm hoping it rivals most modern cars in terms of comfort (sound/temp/etc.)
Philip likes this.

post #180 of 215 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttaco View Post
I've had a number of cars over the years. Some of them have been rather quiet, Some have been kind of loud when driving on the freeway. I'm trying to do my absolute best to ensure that the cabin is nice and quiet and comfortable so I don't hate driving it. If I love driving it, (from a comfort standpoint), then it won't sit like my rock crawler does. Don't get me wrong, I love the rock crawler, but it's not exactly comfortable on long drives.

I don't know what this thing will ultimately be like driving, but I'm hoping it rivals most modern cars in terms of comfort (sound/temp/etc.)
Steve, I hear yah! I'm attempting the same thing with my 56 Chevy 210 2 door sedan. I've Lizard skinned it, and have Cool it mat to install before I lay down the carpet. I Lizard skinned the roof, but think I'll use Cool it on the inside of the roof,and inside the doors and quarter panels. I'm trying to make it as quiet as possible. My Chevelle is noisy on the highway, I'm ok with the noise, but my co-pilot isn't so much.

66 Malibu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in