My 64 Camino...From the Beginning - Page 9 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 135 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 2:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
That’s amazing I’ve never heard of a bent fuel pump push rod lol. On a side note I too am dealing with an annoying oil leak from the pan but I just decided to leave it until I really get the time to pull the engine again.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 (permalink) Old May 19th, 19, 2:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
Re: My 64 Camino...From the Beginning

Today the knockin' 350 came out.

And got torn down. Pulled it apart to the shortblock, which got loaded in the truck to go to scrap. The heads, cam, lifters, intake, oil pan and pump are set aside for another day.

With my partner in crime, of course.

Devin
davewho1 likes this.

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
post #123 of 135 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 2:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

It's been a while since I updated anything. After pulling the 350 out, I knew I wanted to go back to a big block, but didn't have a specific plan. My expectation was to disassemble the one that lost oil pressure at the track 4 years ago, inspect it to see what failed and reuse the block if possible. I already took the heads off for another build, if it spun a rod bearing like I hoped, I would have it bored fresh as the cylinders were worn and drop a 427 crank in it with oval port heads and a hydraulic roller for a nice driver. If it spun a main, I'd get rid of it and use the virgin 454 block I have, but it was going to need full machining.

Instead we pulled out a 4 bolt 427 I had to take to the local machinist for my son. The hope was that it was going to be good enough to throw rings and bearings in, but it needed everything, so I took over at that point.

So what I'm looking at is nearly rebuilding the motor I started with about 20 years ago. Compression will come in right about 10:1, mild Comp Cam solid roller, 990 heads and intake is not decided yet. I'll post pics up as it starts to come together.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:

post #124 of 135 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 1:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I was out in my garage for a few minutes tonight, doing something else, and my Camino called to me. It's just sitting there, covered in dust. It's been over 2 years since it drove out under its' own power, 4 years since I hurt the good big block I had. Ride On by AC/DC came on the radio. I gotta get this thing back on the road.

https://youtu.be/diUcO3EkCu8

Devin
davewho1, 123pugsy and Hotwire like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #125 of 135 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 1:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

This came back from the machine shop recently. More to come.

Devin
Pete 67, fr8dog and 123pugsy like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #126 of 135 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 1:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Picked up the balanced reciprocating assembly this weekend.
Pete 67, fr8dog and davewho1 like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #127 of 135 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 19, 1:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

123pugsy likes this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #128 of 135 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 19, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

So this year I planned ahead. Most years on Thanksgiving weekend, everybody is focused on turkey day and I am too. Then I'm left with a 3 day weekend, and no plans. To avoid that this time around, a few boxes came in this week.

With these parts in hand, I can begin engine assembly and test fitting next weekend.

Devin
fr8dog, davewho1 and HandOverFist like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #129 of 135 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 19, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I made some progress today. Got some space temporarily cleared, set up the engine stand and got the block on it. Installed the cam, retaining plate and crank.

I discovered I had overlooked a things. I don't have a cam lock plate and bolt set. Luckily I had a rear main seal in my stash.

I dropped in the #1 piston and set it to TDC to check valve clearance. Pulled the valve springs from that cylinder. They'll all come off in time, these springs are set up for a solid roller and this time I'm going (Gasp!) hydraulic roller.

I have the dowels for the to install in the block, but for some reason I just couldn't get them in and managed to ruin one. I'll pick up a new set and try it again soon.

Devin
Pete 67 and 123pugsy like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #130 of 135 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Whats the spec on the build? 427? 990 heads?

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #131 of 135 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 2:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
Whats the spec on the build? 427? 990 heads?
Nailed it. 427, .060 over. Steel crank, SRP pistons, Scat rods. Right at 10:1 compression. Heads are 990s I ran years ago, pulled off in favor of a set of AFR's. Couldn't sell them for even half of what I had into them at the time, so they went in the shed. They've got some port work done to them, big heavy 3/8 valves, titanium retainers. The cam is a Comp piece, .547/.547 lift, 230/[email protected], 284/290 advertised, on a 112 LSA. I'll run it with an LS6 intake for hood clearance reasons (need one if somebody has one on the shelf) with an adapter and a Q-jet.

I'm done racing this car, all this is intended to be just a good driver. I figure this should come in around 1hp/ci, maybe a hair more, but it'll never see a dyno.

Devin
Pete 67 and Malibu ss 64 like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #132 of 135 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 6:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
Nailed it. 427, .060 over. Steel crank, SRP pistons, Scat rods. Right at 10:1 compression. Heads are 990s I ran years ago, pulled off in favor of a set of AFR's. Couldn't sell them for even half of what I had into them at the time, so they went in the shed. They've got some port work done to them, big heavy 3/8 valves, titanium retainers. The cam is a Comp piece, .547/.547 lift, 230/[email protected], 284/290 advertised, on a 112 LSA. I'll run it with an LS6 intake for hood clearance reasons (need one if somebody has one on the shelf) with an adapter and a Q-jet.

I'm done racing this car, all this is intended to be just a good driver. I figure this should come in around 1hp/ci, maybe a hair more, but it'll never see a dyno.

Devin
I think a hair more! Sounds like a nice combo.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #133 of 135 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Made some more progress today. Installed the timing chain and located TDC with the help of my youngest.

Later, when my eldest was home, he helped me set the head in place to measure valve to piston clearance. I am working in tight space between 2 cars, and I didn't have the confidence to set that heavy iron head on by myself without damaging anything.

I came up with .335 on the intake and .250 on the exhaust, without a head gasket that will be .040. Lots of room. Now I feel confident to assemble the other 7 cylinders. I didn't expect to find a problem, but wanted to be sure.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #134 of 135 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I don't know why I can't make this show up in the previous post

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #135 of 135 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

All 8 pistons are in it now.

My next move is to verify TDC again, I bumped the pointer today, then check the cam timing. I've not had one off of spec, but I want to be sure. Doing that and getting the timing cover on will complete one step. I hope to get there next weekend. After that I need to get some brackets welded in place to hold the real motor for my Henry J, then pull this one out that used to be in my car and remove/cleanup the oil pan.

Devin
123pugsy, HandOverFist and Hotwire like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in