Team Chevelle banner

Austins 69

10K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  Dean 
#1 ·
Alittle introduction about myself then on to the car.

Been in to cars my whole life.

Ok Now that's done with, on to the car. lol

A local craigslist ad had a 69 up for sal or trade for a 92 or newer Chevy dually with a 454. Just so happened I picked a 93 2 months ago.
It was going to be my car hauler for going out to the local drag strip and just all around truck. I was only planing on keeping the truck for a year or two then pickup something alittle newer.

Said truck

Deal was made so I went to go pick it up.
Gettin her out of the garage she was parked in.
The car in front of it didn't run and wouldn't come out of park. So I jacked up the rear and shifted it over.

Gettin closer

And on the trailer

Would of used my own truck but well we know what happened to that.

And got her home in the garage

Kinda running out of room in there
Building a shop is in the plans but it might be a couple of years.
The 67 mustang might get kicked out of the garage here soon

I did find some pictures of the car on Facebook from the owner previous to the one I got the car from.
The story I got was his wife got pregnant and he sold the car to the guy I got it from

Not much of a plan yet, right now access how much work is needed then start putting it back together.
As of now I haven't found any rust, there has been a small piece cut out of the drivers side rear quarter maybe 4"x4".

See less See more
#2 ·
Found free body mounts in the trunk,

Also the cowl tag

If I decoded it right the car came out of Fremont California
300 deluxe sports coupe
Glacier blue
V8 with a Manual trans and bench seat.

It does have disc brakes up front but a 10 bolt out back.

I will be putting the 67 mustang out back to focus on the chevelle.
It will be on a concrete pad and tapped up really good it needs a some rust repair and over all I think the chevelle will take less time to get back in to runing condition.

#4 ·
Right now finish accessing what needs to be done, I haven't got a chance to pull all the parts out of the car yet, and I'm getting more dropped off tomorrow.
I don't plan on doing a full resto but I do want it to be a nice street car it will probably see a little track time but to not much my newer mustang is more of my track car.

I haven't decided on what motor/trans yet. Either LS or BBC pretty sure it will stay a manual though.

#5 ·
Well got the car all cleaned out over the weekend.
I was wrong the car was a auto, previouse owner was in the process of swapping over to manual. I had seen the clutch pedal and assumed it was a manual.

So far on my list besides an engine and trans that I want done before I put the car back on the road.
I'm going to try and recover the dash pad myself.
New grille
Front windshield
And I've already ordered new carpet.
I know there will be more items that come up and some little thing that I'm forgetting.

Had some cans of eastwood rust encapsulator so the floor got a fresh coat

A couple of pics of the garage since I moved the 67 and pulled all the parts out of the car.

#7 ·
Put all the steering components back in, shocks, brakes, core support, radiator and started on the front sheet metal. Should be able to get the front end done today and move to the back of the car. Also started two list of parts one for what I need before it goes back on the road and one that are things I would like to replace.

The grill and headlight buckets will come back out for some repair and paint once it gets alittle warmer.

#9 ·
My neighbor has this old RV that was left on his property when he bought the home.
As a project for his kids they get to strip it down and haul the pieces to the recyclers, they get to keep the money they earn.
But first I get to pull the motor and trans for the Don't know the condition of it yet but it is free

#12 ·
A free 454??? Incredible! The neighbor I'm sure just wants it gone but, WOW! It should have the heavy duty Turbo 400, also. Is he letting you have that, too? Just an awesome score!

How was the engine originally installed in the motorhome? From underneath?
Yep Trans too. Not sure how they originally put them together.
I know the proper way to take the motor out is through the dog house on the inside. But that seemed like a lot of work.

I did check the oil and trans fluid and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Once I get it out I'll pull the pans and valve covers. If everything checks out fine I may just do a intake and cam swap then stuff it in the car.

With plans to do a 496 build down the road.

#15 ·
Got it pulled tonight

Getting closer

It's almost like giving birth
a
And out

Strapped her down and made the long trip home

Pulled it into the garage and just had to pull a valve cover to see what she looked like inside

Under side of the valve cover

The odometer of the motorhome said 25k miles. Figured that meant 125k but as clean as it is I'm leaning towards 25k
Also if I'm correct (still learning BBC parts) these are a good set of oval port heads to have.

#19 ·
So it's a 2-bolt main, I figued it would be a 4 bolt but oh well

My concern is the rods, they have discoloration almost like rust on them.
It's on the rods only and nothing else

Close up of the one that concerns me the most.

I'm going to pull the heads tomorrow and see what the top end looks like.

Here's what the oil pan looks like, little thick in the bottom but nothing I couldn't run my finger through.

#20 ·
Pulled a head this morning, little carbon buildup

Pulled a piston out

Rod bearing

Cylinder wall, there's no lip at the top of the cylinder.
Although you can see where the rings sat for who knows how many years.

Think I'm going to go ahead and take the block and heads in to the machine shop.
And put new rods and Pistons in it.

#24 ·
I can't tell, but are those the right valve covers? I see 3 holes on the chrome and 4 on the moroso covers. I know theres 4 on the other side of the chrome ones, just curious.

Car looks good! Does it have door windows in it? The roller I picked up didn't have any and I haven't tackled it yet.

#29 ·
Nice looking exhaust.

What did you come up with on the engine?

That engine can be cleaned out with diesel and oven cleaner. You can check the rods with a feeler gauge and use platigauge to check the bearings and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.