Convertible Progress Thread - Page 10 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #136 of 210 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 5:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Re: Convertible Progress Thread

Coming along. Iíve gotten the doors on and lined up, and the left fender on. I have to partially install the ac system before I can put the right fender on.

I like how itís come out so far. I spent a lot of time and was more anal about the panel gaps and the straightness of the panels than just about anything else Iíve done. I think it paid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 210 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 7:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

von and pnugene like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #138 of 210 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 1:36 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Hey Andy, What are you doing to block off the heater core hole in the firewall?
I am adding Classic Auto Air and trying to come up with something a little nicer than the piece of plastic that comes with the kit.

post #139 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 1:43 PM
Andy

Hey Andy, I apologize ahead of time if you talked about your suspension elsewhere and I missed it, but what do you have going on here at the upper ball joint?

It looks like a relocation of some sort, moving the pivot point for a better camber curve? If so, where did it come from?

Thanks,

From one Andy 69 owner to another.
post #140 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Looks like an SPC turn buckle upper control arm. Damn sexy, arenít they??
Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #141 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbo View Post
Hey Andy, What are you doing to block off the heater core hole in the firewall?
I am adding Classic Auto Air and trying to come up with something a little nicer than the piece of plastic that comes with the kit.

The Vintage Air kit came with a nice metal plate that goes over the hole and seals with silicone. Itís obvious that itís a retrofit, but it doesnít look bad.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #142 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke View Post
Hey Andy, I apologize ahead of time if you talked about your suspension elsewhere and I missed it, but what do you have going on here at the upper ball joint?

It looks like a relocation of some sort, moving the pivot point for a better camber curve? If so, where did it come from?

Thanks,

From one Andy 69 owner to another.

SPC adjustable upper control arm. Iíve just got it set roughly. Iíll do a proper alignment eventually.

Right now Iím trying to get the hood gaps right.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #143 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 9:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Convertible Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfjaeger View Post
Looks like an SPC turn buckle upper control arm. Damn sexy, arenít they??
Joe

I have to wonder if GM had some real reason for geometry that bad or if they were just stupid.

SPC produced what GM should have

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #144 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 9:57 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
I have to wonder if GM had some real reason for geometry that bad or if they were just stupid.

SPC produced what GM should have

I can only guess that it had something to do with bias ply tires.
post #145 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke View Post
I can only guess that it had something to do with bias ply tires.

Do bias play tires have more grip at positive camber angles? I honestly donít know

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #146 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 5:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

I've gotten the hood repainted. I can still see the ripple that I couldn't get rid of but it's tough to see unless you know where to look. Going to get the quarters repainted here this week.

Got a little held up on the front end assembly. Discovered both the springs on my hood latch were broken. It doesn't seem like there is an easy way to replace those so it looks like a replacement of the entire assembly is in order. Also my hood hinges are a little ragged out so they are off to Willie. I'm thinking about the gunmetal grey powder coat, or might just use the black SPI epoxy I have. Not original but it will be a nice contrast with the underhood black.

I think there is a good chance I'll have a running car here in the next month or so.

Small list of parts to order yet:
high torque starter
Dash bezel and gauges
Electric fan
may need to replace the engine harness and alternator due to the
ac and the electric fan.

Going through my parts it seems like I bought about 6 rubber bumper and stopper kits over the years. Funny, only one of them had the correct deck lid and door bumpers.
Pete 67 and joeyv69ragtop like this.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #147 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 20, 2:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Assembly continuing. Got the quarters painted the other day. Not as good as I hoped but better than I was expecting if that makes sense. A lot of trash in the paint but I think it will be ok. I just have to keep in mind it's not an Evening Orchid Camaro, Z16 convertible, or factory 66 Chevelle SS427. Got to work on the trunk area yesterday and now I'm putting together an order for window parts. Coming together. I'm actually enjoying this part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94025311_10222484429005569_7587958987161600000_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	623738   Click image for larger version

Name:	93626792_10222484428885566_8101451245413203968_n.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	623740  
Dean, von, Pete 67 and 2 others like this.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #148 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 20, 4:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Aaargh. Nasty surprise the other day. I'm waiting for the hinges to come back from Willie so I started to put the doors together. Turns out both driver side windows are scratched beyond repair, the RH quarter window is marginal, and the passenger side seems ok, so I'm looking at replacing at least three of the four windows. Add to that the window felts are hard as rock and crack when you touch them and the quarter window chrome trim piece is pitted and rusty. So far I've got $500 in my Ground Up cart for the window parts and I'm still counting. I'm probably going to end up replacing a bunch of the window hardware too.

A little unexpected. At the moment I'm not really working on the car as every little sub project is missing something critical, so I'm just sitting back waiting for orders to arrive.
pnugene likes this.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #149 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 20, 4:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
Aaargh. Nasty surprise the other day. I'm waiting for the hinges to come back from Willie so I started to put the doors together. Turns out both driver side windows are scratched beyond repair, the RH quarter window is marginal, and the passenger side seems ok, so I'm looking at replacing at least three of the four windows. Add to that the window felts are hard as rock and crack when you touch them and the quarter window chrome trim piece is pitted and rusty. So far I've got $500 in my Ground Up cart for the window parts and I'm still counting. I'm probably going to end up replacing a bunch of the window hardware too.

A little unexpected. At the moment I'm not really working on the car as every little sub project is missing something critical, so I'm just sitting back waiting for orders to arrive.
Andy, I found as my project dragged on with all the setbacks, if I can just drive this thing in my lifetime, I'll be a happy camper.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #150 of 210 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 20, 8:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
Andy, I found as my project dragged on with all the setbacks, if I can just drive this thing in my lifetime, I'll be a happy camper.
Iím driving this summer come hell or high water.

I ended up just ordering a full set of glass. That way they will all match.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in