1970 Chevelle Restoration - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 13, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

1970 Chevelle Restoration

Hey guys I have a project going on right now in my garage I thought I would share. I have been an automobile enthusiast for a long time and my hobby has grown over the years. My mistake was building a big garage and buying a lift and next thing you know I was taking things apart. I have a few projects going on right now but my newest one is a 1970 Chevelle convertible. I am actually doing this car for a friend of mine.

We picked the car up in December in Milwaulkee, Wi and below are the pictures of the car when it arrived in Danville, IN. Great initial photos aren't they??

The car made it to better climate 3 weeks ago here in Sarasota, FL
Here are the first shots of the Chevelle. The first fact I want to pass on is this is not a true SS car. Any of you guys who have looked for an SS car know you do pay quite a premium for one and quite frankly we did not see it as a necessity. I was more interested in finding the right car for the build and this car is destined to be a weekend driver. By luck I found a car who someone else with experience had started restoring. As you can see the car is barely in primer so there were no surprises as to what we were buying or how the work was performed......the guy did a really nice job. The Chevelle has a new floor pan, trunk pan, fenders, hood, and rear quarters. The doors are from an Arizona car. This car was appealing to the alternative......buying a unrestored car and then going through the process of discovery to find out what is hidden under all the paint. At least this is my theory........we are ready to take the car apart right now!

We are not trying to build a numbers matching historical restoration. Our intent is to build an SS clone which when done will virtually be a new car. We will be updating the suspension, installing some big brakes on all 4 corners, freshening up the 454 under the hood, and adding a killer set of wheels and tires. It should be a very cool car when we are done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 13, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Re: 1970 Chevelle Restoration

post #3 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 13, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Nice project! Can't wait to see more.

Danville's just up the road from me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Chevelle Malibu 350
1964 Galaxie 500 XL 289

post #4 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 13, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Very cool, nice find!

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #5 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 13, 11:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Great find indeed

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
post #6 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 6:19 AM
Team Member
Rick

Garage

Looks like a great project. Look forward to progress pics.
I think I know the car as it was on the Milwaukee Craigslist for awhile. Was the seller's name Dave?

69 Chevelle SS396 L78 4-speed, Post Sedan, Black W/black vinyl bench seat. (Under restoration)
69 Chevelle SS396 L78 4-speed Post Sedan, Silver, black vinyl bench seat. Berger car
70 Chevelle SS454 LS6, M22, 4.10, Forest Green, Green buckets. (Nearing completion)
69 Chevelle SS 396 L35 Post Sedan, Silver, Blue bench, 4-spd (Sold)
post #7 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 7:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasoline_fiend View Post
Nice project! Can't wait to see more.

Danville's just up the road from me.
I grew up in Danville......well, I am not grown up yet but I got older there What town are you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
Very cool, nice find!
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Great find indeed
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RixLS6 View Post
Looks like a great project. Look forward to progress pics.
I think I know the car as it was on the Milwaukee Craigslist for awhile. Was the seller's name Dave?
I figured someone would notice the car on this forum as he had the car advertised everywhere!! It was on here, ebay, and some other places. We got it out just in time before the weather got bad
post #8 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 7:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

I have a question. There appears to be a lot of activity on the tech forums on chevelles.com. Why is the projects & builds forum so weak? Unless I am missing something there is not much activity in this area. Just curious.
post #9 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 7:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan Vasic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocrazy View Post
I have a question. There appears to be a lot of activity on the tech forums on chevelles.com. Why is the projects & builds forum so weak? Unless I am missing something there is not much activity in this area. Just curious.

Bad economy?

Nice project, glad you saved her, good luck.

Dan

Owner of..... The 1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Registry
1969 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Frost Green
1969 SS396 300 Deluxe Post Sedan Lemans Blue (Sold to "69 Post Sedan")
1972 SS 502 T400 410 posi Mohave Gold
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Gulfstream Blue
1970 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

post #10 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 9:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocrazy View Post
I grew up in Danville......well, I am not grown up yet but I got older there What town are you in?
Lol, I hear that. Born, raised, and trying to escape Greencastle.

1972 Chevelle Malibu 350
1964 Galaxie 500 XL 289
post #11 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 9:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Not much progress this past week but a little. A few too many irons in the fire around here but we will get our groove on with this car shortly. There is still some welding to complete under the body. As of today but not pictured the frame is completely stripped of suspension and rear end. I will be getting my courage up in the next week to sandblast the frame. Its a dirty job but someone has to do it.

post #12 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 9:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

That is a pretty nice starting point, the car looks to be in good shape. What colors will it be when it's done?

1972 Malibu Sport Coupe - Victory Red on Black - 350/TH350

I do all my own stunts.
post #13 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 9:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
That is a pretty nice starting point, the car looks to be in good shape. What colors will it be when it's done?

I am doing this car for a good friend of mine. He wants it astro blue with a white top and white stripes. Interior will be white or blue.....I hope blue!! Here is the picture of a car on ebay and he liked the color. For now this is our direction.

post #14 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 13, 3:30 PM
Tech Team
Henry

Nice project! Loving the Code 25 Astro Blue 70. Doing full off frame resto on original 70 Astro Blue now, going with black interior and stripes. Good Luck on your project.
post #15 of 141 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 13, 8:29 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
I will be getting my courage up in the next week to sandblast the frame. Its a dirty job but someone has to do it
After I finish the floor work I am doing on my 67 the frame is next, I was going to bring it to the local steel yard for blasting or wire wheel it myself and paint, but I called the powder coat guy near me just to check out the price, I was pleasantly surprised when he said, as long as there's no undercoat on the frame, he will sand blast, chemical dip clean and powder coat for 750, gloss or matte. Seems like a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2494 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.