The Next Generation - Page 43 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #631 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 20, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
Re: The Next Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyv69ragtop View Post
Hope everything works out with the exchange/warranty
I spoke with the owner today. Local junkyard, 4th generation owner. He remembered the engine that I bought, was disappointed it didn't get sealed before his roof blew off his engine storage area earlier this year. He said he had another, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Devin

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 20, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I picked up the replacement engine today after work.

Not very impressive at first glance. But it turns over freely and I can feel compression in it.

The block is an 010 casting, which in my experience is a decent chance that it's a 4 bolt.

If somebody could break down the casting date for me, I'd appreciate it. I can't remember what/how. I believe these blocks were used from 1970-1980.

I pulled up a valve cover and found Manley guide plates and screw in studs. Somebody has spent some $$ on this engine. I didn't look at the casting number on the heads, but the end markings indicate typical smog era heads. I do believe I saw Hencho en Mexico on them though. All indications are good. I just hope this one drops in and runs. I'm sure we'll know soon.

Devin
davewho1 and 123pugsy like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #633 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 20, 1:10 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

If the date code is E 18 7, it should be May 18th 1977. E = the 5th month, 18 is the day and the 7 is the last digit for the year. If I'm not mistaken.

Chris

post #634 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 20, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 View Post
If the date code is E 18 7, it should be May 18th 1977. E = the 5th month, 18 is the day and the 7 is the last digit for the year. If I'm not mistaken.
Thanks for that. He asked me about it and I couldn't remember how to break it down.

We're looking forward to getting this thing fired off. I believe we should be able to accomplish that this weekend. I'm interested to see how it runs. I bet it has a bigger cam in it than stock. The bit of information I can find on the Mexico made heads is that they're not great, but new enough that they should be hard seated.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #635 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 20, 9:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I have an 010 casting 350 block, it originally came into my possession from a 1976 Monte Carlo that my dad bought used in 1982 for my sister to drive in high school. I bought the car from my sister when she was done with it after finishing college, then when the rear window and trunk rusted out of the car I pulled the drivetrain and sold off the rest of the car.

So, 38 years later, I still have this 1976 010 block

I rebuilt it and ran it in my 69 Chevelle from 1998 - 2009, at which time I put a 496 in the Chevelle.

I then pulled the 010 casting 350 out of the Chevelle and put it in my 64 C10,where it happily resides today. It is a 2-bolt block (as I bet your is) but it is still running the original cast crank and rods. It is now .030 over with cast flat-top pistons. It ran low-13's at 100mph in the 1/4 mile in my Chevelle with a Comp XE262 cam and Dart IE heads. It now has a stock cam and GM 441 heads as installed in my truck, and gets driven every day.

The moral of my long-winded story is that you can beat the crap out of the stock block/crank/rods in that motor. The heads are probably 882's - not great, but nothing wrong with them for a driver and mild performance.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #636 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 8:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Today was a good day. I showed up at his house around 10, to find the engine had some upgrades since I had seen it last. He'd swapped on his Performer RPM intake and thrown on some chrome valve covers out of a kit that had come with his car when he bought it, still new in the box. He had also installed his short water pump and matching pulley on the balancer.

We made preparations

And dropped it in.

I thought I got a picture once it was settled in place, but I couldn't find it.

I took off for a bit to see about my other kids, and when I came back he had a buddy there helping him.

We all stayed busy for a while, and by 2:30 or so we had it fired off and running!

Open headers, of course! It sounds really healthy. He said the inside of the valley was spotless, no sludge whatsoever. Spinning a priming tool with a drill, it made 50+ psi with cold oil, once it was fully warmed up at idle it was about 52psi. No leaks that we've found.

He had done some rewiring while it sat, and he discovered that his tach wasn't working. He was fiddling with that when I left, but had started it a few times to check in the meantime, and each time it just fired right up and ran like it should. He's happy.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #637 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 8:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

https://youtu.be/VHNc68tdoOA

see if this works

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #638 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 11:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Excellent work! Nice throttle response
post #639 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 6:38 AM
Tech Team
Pugsy

Sounds really nice.

PUGSY 69 El Camino, "CURSE" 5.3 Swap, 4L60e, 3:73 Posi
6.0L cam, 4.8L Flat Tops, 243 Heads

Fun, but not fast....14.7 @ 93.2 MPH
post #640 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 8:19 AM
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage

Sounds healthy, Devin. Makes me want to go outside and fire off my 68. But, its 7:18 am and I dont want to piss my neighbors off.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #641 of 641 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 6:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Engine sounds good!

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in