Today was a good day. I showed up at his house around 10, to find the engine had some upgrades since I had seen it last. He'd swapped on his Performer RPM intake and thrown on some chrome valve covers out of a kit that had come with his car when he bought it, still new in the box. He had also installed his short water pump and matching pulley on the balancer.
We made preparations
And dropped it in.
I thought I got a picture once it was settled in place, but I couldn't find it.
I took off for a bit to see about my other kids, and when I came back he had a buddy there helping him.
We all stayed busy for a while, and by 2:30 or so we had it fired off and running!
Open headers, of course! It sounds really healthy. He said the inside of the valley was spotless, no sludge whatsoever. Spinning a priming tool with a drill, it made 50+ psi with cold oil, once it was fully warmed up at idle it was about 52psi. No leaks that we've found.
He had done some rewiring while it sat, and he discovered that his tach wasn't working. He was fiddling with that when I left, but had started it a few times to check in the meantime, and each time it just fired right up and ran like it should. He's happy.