The Next Generation - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 628 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 13, 2:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Re: The Next Generation

Devin,

There are several people on the forum who can and will help answer questions. Don't be afraid to ask.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 628 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 13, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
Anthony- I found the rest of the needed clutch bolts in the bell, but none to bolt it to the block. They may be somewhere else in the boxes etc, but I didn't think to look there.

Doug- The 327 came out for a couple of reasons. First because he couldn't afford it, but I don't believe that any kid needs to start driving with a high perf 11:1 motor, and I bought it with the intent of dropping it in my 64 after this racing season, so I can pull my 427 and build my Henry J around that.

Devin
I got you. Makes sense. I'm sure he's going to love the car no matter what motor is in it.

Doug
post #48 of 628 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 13, 12:22 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Your a good dad.

Very cool that your son is interested in muscle cars, let alone is willing to work on them.

Also, making him pay for everything is a good life lesson, and will make him appreciate and enjoy the car.

Keep up the good work.

-Rich
BowtieGent likes this.

1966 El Camino
PROJECT Basket Case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 628 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 13, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

We made a little more progress last night, got the transmission crossmember installed. Not a big deal really but it didn't get done Saturday and I didn't like the way the transmission was hanging there without any support. Forgot to take pics though.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #50 of 628 (permalink) Old May 12th, 13, 5:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Got a little more done this weekend. Friday night we finished installing the crossmember, had to drill out one of the holes since it didn't line up, and he had the joy of installing the driveshaft.

At this point everything I can think of underneath is buttoned up.

Saturday we moved on to the top of the engine. He got the intake all bolted down, valve covers back on, and headers bolted up.

We're working towards trying to get it fired off for motivational purposes. Got some other stuff that's not visible done too, like spark plugs and the spacer that goes between the core support and the radiator in. I don't yet want to mount the radiator, in fear of damaging it while installing pulleys and fan.

It's been 20 years since I ran a small block in an A-body. We've found that the header tubes block #5 and #6 plugs pretty good. He'll have to run some 90* plug wires, but is this normal? Been too long for me, I don't remember.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:

Last edited by Dean; Aug 10th, 17 at 9:06 AM.
post #51 of 628 (permalink) Old May 12th, 13, 6:39 PM
Banned
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
Got a little more done this weekend. Friday night we finished installing the crossmember, had to drill out one of the holes since it didn't line up, and he had the joy of installing the driveshaft.

At this point everything I can think of underneath is buttoned up.

Saturday we moved on to the top of the engine. He got the intake all bolted down, valve covers back on, and headers bolted up.

We're working towards trying to get it fired off for motivational purposes. Got some other stuff that's not visible done too, like spark plugs and the spacer that goes between the core support and the radiator in. I don't yet want to mount the radiator, in fear of damaging it while installing pulleys and fan.

It's been 20 years since I ran a small block in an A-body. We've found that the header tubes block #5 and #6 plugs pretty good. He'll have to run some 90* plug wires, but is this normal? Been too long for me, I don't remember.

Devin

Im surprized the crossmember didnt line up. It came from that car. I know there were brackets to move it back for the th400 that was in it but should have went on the stock mounts.

You may have to use 90* boots. I used them just because its easier. You can also run some short plugs too but I always ran autolites.

Good luck getting it fired. Ill bet he'll be iching to get it going once it's running.

Im

Last edited by Dean; Aug 10th, 17 at 9:11 AM.
post #52 of 628 (permalink) Old May 13th, 13, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

We wiggled it around as much as possible, but one hole was 1/2 way off so we opened up with a drill. Not a big deal to me, but it takes a lot longer to teach him how to do it than to do it myself.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #53 of 628 (permalink) Old May 13th, 13, 12:36 AM
Banned
Anthony

Did you get the shifter hole cut yet? Dont forget the rear diff was dry.
post #54 of 628 (permalink) Old May 13th, 13, 7:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Excellent post.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #55 of 628 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 2:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

The hole is not yet cut for the shifter. He doesn't yet have enough money to buy that and the clutch pedal assy from me. The empty diff is on the to-do list. I sold him the trans cheap so we could drop it in and assemble everything to this point.

I picked up a DA sander the other day. He's been much more motivated to sand with some power behind it rather than doing it by hand. I'll post pics the later.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #56 of 628 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 13, 1:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

We got after it some more this weekend, but I was too busy and didn't think to get pics. I came home Friday night and offered to try to get it fired off this weekend (open headers of course!) so we started working on that. We checked the wiring from ignition switch to the firewall side and I couldn't find continuity on the wires I thought we should for the starter so we made up a temporary starter harness with some wire and switches I had sitting around.

After some delays getting started this morning he installed the harness and we hooked power to it with great expectations. Then nothing happened. No crank. So I checked my voltages everywhere, all was as it should be, and the guy he bought the engine from had said he spun it over the day he brought it down to us, and he's somebody I work with so I had no reason to doubt him.

Mason pulled the starter out so we could bench test it, since I never heard it so much as click, then we stopped for lunch and had to charge up the jumper box we were using as a substitute battery. He did a couple of his weekend chores while we waited and got back to it a couple of hours later. Still nothing. Found that the 'S' terminal was spinning freely after having removed the solenoid, so we pulled the cap off the end and found a broken wire in it. I soldered up the wire for him and we put the cap back on and the solenoid back on, still wouldn't work though. Drove me crazy. Everything was there, yet it wouldn't spin.

Let that sit for a while and went to verify that the engine would turn over only to find that it was locked up too. Checked the trans to make sure it was out of gear, the 1/2 3/4 were easy enough to figure out but I wasn't sure about reverse. Mason managed to punch himself in the face when he was trying to turn the engine over with a screwdriver in the teeth on the flywheel and slipped. I crawled under there and got it to budge a little, but not more than a tooth after moving the reverse stud on the trans.

In order to get more leverage I dug through my box of misc bolts and came up with 3 3/8 fine bolts to thread into the balancer in order to turn the engine over with a pry bar. After finding that we were able to work it back and forth some, but it doesn't seem to want to spin over yet. I told him to pull the plugs and squirt some oil in there, work it back and forth every day. It will go eventually and he's on summer break now so he has time.

Now after all that, he's planning on bolting the starter back in tomorrow and we'll keep working toward getting it fired.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #57 of 628 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 13, 1:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I forgot to mention we went back out after dinner to test the starter some more. It was bothering me that I was sure I had the wiring right on it, and thought I had it fixed, yet it didn't turn. I hooked the wiring up to my starter which is currently laying on the floor waiting on engine parts (long story) and used the battery in my wife's Suburban for power and my starter turned as I thought it should, so we then his starter to it and it turned too. So we now know that the starter is good and hopefully it will turn the engine over soon.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #58 of 628 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 13, 9:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

An astute observation by your daughter, she is wise beyond her years. Did she help too? Nice to see things moving along. I use PB blaster to loosen things up.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #59 of 628 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 13, 6:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

any time hanging out with your kids is great...Even more so, is that he wants to be in the garage with you!!! Good luck with your project!

Mike
66 Chevelle Pro Touring build in progress

My 66 Chevelle build thread-

post #60 of 628 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 13, 1:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

He got the starter back in today, but I had to help him a bit. I remember installing the starter in my 64 after I put the headers on when I had a small block when I was about 17, and it wasn't fun then.

The motor is still not turning over all the way, but we did verify that it was actually out of gear. He's going to keep working on that a little each day.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:

Last edited by Dean; Aug 10th, 17 at 9:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in