The Next Generation - Page 39 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #571 of 586 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 19, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
Re: The Next Generation

Progress continues.....

I forgot to mention I made up a new piece of throttle linkage on Saturday from a couple of heim joints and some rod. He had been having trouble with his throttle sticking at WOT and this seems to have cured it. That was part of the reason we were trying to change the motor mounts. Also because they're old and soft.

He got some new starter wires made up of 0 gauge on Monday, got them installed and that seems to have taken care of his hot start problem. Time will tell. It's definitely better.

I also got his new tires mounted for him before work that morning. They should be good and sticky for the new season.

He ordered a new water pump and fan clutch the other day, but there was a snafu so it was delayed. Hopefully that comes in before too long.

Devin
joeyv69ragtop and Proc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 586 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 19, 9:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

His water pump and fan clutch arrived yesterday, and by the time I got home from work he had the new pump painted and installed.

This morning he finished it up and ran it to test the cooling system.

After running for about 15 mins it was still at a steady 170 or so. Previously it would have over heated long before. Flowkooler water pump and Hayden 2747 for the win!

Unfortunately we discovered it's leaking where the pump mounts to the block, so it's all going to have to come back off and get sealed better.

Devin
davewho1 and Proc like this.
post #573 of 586 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

New stickies mounted and ready to go!

Now we're just waiting on the upper control arm bolts to arrive. There was a report of shipping damage, so they are held up.

Devin
Proc likes this.

post #574 of 586 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 1:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

More of the working-on-the-car 1-2 dance: one step forward and 2 steps back. Still, progress is being made. Thanks again for the updates, I enjoy every one no matter how minor!
post #575 of 586 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 6:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Getting a shroud to cover more of that fan would probably help a lot in the cooling.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #576 of 586 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 19, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Getting a shroud to cover more of that fan would probably help a lot in the cooling.
He put a stock replacement 65 shroud on in December, it's hard to see in the above pic. I think a 66-67 shroud would likely be more effective, but at this time, it seems to be running cool. Once the suspension bolts come in he intends to daily it for a while to verify.

Devin
Proc likes this.
post #577 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Last weekend we were crawling around under the back of his car trying to find the reason why his tires showed evidence of rubbing on the outer right hand fender when sitting still, there is over an inch of room with his street tires on. Finally we found a damaged upper control arm, so a set of UMI uppers were ordered, and arrived mid week.

I came home today to find him on his back in the driveway, with little brother running the floor jack for him to get them changed out.

And this is the carnage, old and new.

He had also stolen an upper control arm bolt out of my car (with my permission) only to find his new ones had come in the mail today.

There will be more tomorrow, first race of the season is tomorrow night of the weather holds.

Devin
123pugsy and Proc like this.
post #578 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 19, 12:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Great find there! Good luck hope it tracks straight now!
post #579 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 9:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
He put a stock replacement 65 shroud on in December, it's hard to see in the above pic. I think a 66-67 shroud would likely be more effective, but at this time, it seems to be running cool. Once the suspension bolts come in he intends to daily it for a while to verify.

Devin
Devin,

What I have done before to extend the stock 65 shroud is to get some black plastic "landscape edging" similar to this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-2...-Roll/50092428

Wrap the edging around the shroud to make a complete circle. Attach with small self tapping screws and you have a deeper shroud for cheap. I have one that was done at least ten years ago and it is still in good condition.

Keep up the good work.

Verle
davewho1 likes this.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...e6June2010.jpg
post #580 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Last night did not go as well as we had hoped. No problems getting the car ready, but he spun bad on the first pass and the car wouldn't idle when he came back to the pits. Fiddled with it a bit and got that working again, second pass I think he left in 3rd gear. The shifter is still janky after all this time. Then the starter crapped out and it wouldn't idle again. We called it a night and put the street tires and header caps back on, tried to push start it but it just locked the tires, ended up having him pull it with our Suburban, me in his car, get it up to a few mph, dump the clutch, wide open throttle to get it to start, then clutch in and brake without running into the Sub. I stayed in the driver's seat to keep it running while he loaded the last few things to head home. He asked me to drive it to have better luck keeping it alive. About half way home it had been running at a nice 170, then the temp started to climb, and didn't stop. Finally it got to where I had to shut it down and coast to the side of the road about 4 miles from home. Called for a tow and waited 2.5 hours.

Devin
123pugsy likes this.
post #581 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 12:18 PM
Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
Last night did not go as well as we had hoped. […] coast to the side of the road about 4 miles from home. Called for a tow and waited 2.5 hours.
Oh man, that makes for a rough night. Sounds like a couple of different issues raised their ugly heads at the same time. Darned Murphy’s Law is always in effect. I’m sure it will get figured out.

1968 Chevelle Malibu 454, mild cam, 30 over, 12-bolt 3.73 rear
1972 Chevelle Malibu 350, radical cam, 30 over, 10-bolt 3.55 rear
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6L (281), Stock
There are no Ford vs. Chevy wars in my garage. It's all U.S. muscle.
post #582 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 19, 1:03 PM
Tech Team
Pugsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc View Post
Oh man, that makes for a rough night. Sounds like a couple of different issues raised their ugly heads at the same time. Darned Murphy’s Law is always in effect. I’m sure it will get figured out.

I dunno, even with the break downs, it sure sounds like a fun night to me.
Proc likes this.
post #583 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 1:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage

How hot did the engine get before? Maybe it has a head gasket on the way out? Hope you guys get it figured out.
Proc likes this.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #584 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

When I got home today he had the front end in the air and the fluids drained. Oil is definitely darker, but no signs of coolant. Plugs are similar on all cylinders, some fuel residue, but none of them looked steam cleaned. I suggested he stick a large screwdriver in the lower water pump outlet to stop the impeller and turn the fan, it turned freely. I hope we found our culprit. We'll know more for sure when he has time to pull it off.

Devin
post #585 of 586 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 6:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary

After being a mechanic for 50 years I never heard of that to check if the impeller is connected to the fan. I guess an old dog (me) can learn a new trick!
123pugsy and Proc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in