The Next Generation - Page 35 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #511 of 641 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
Re: The Next Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
Hope you guys have found time to get this engine back together.
Not as of yet. We had a house fire in November, and are just getting settled back home but there's a lot of work involved. Haven't touched the engine since last post, and his daily is down, and the backup is giving trouble, just not much time right now. We'll be back at it as soon as we can.

Devin

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 641 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 4:20 PM
Tech Team
John

I had a small kitchen fire 20 plus years ago and that really sucks. Good to know you are close to being back to normal.
post #513 of 641 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 7:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Finished getting the cam degreed, timing cover and oil pan on today. New aluminum timing cover and fresh Summit oil pan this time around to hopefully avoid leaks.

Georgia69 and f6john like this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:

post #514 of 641 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 9:34 AM
Tech Team
John

Looks like we’re working in the storage shed, garage must be full!
post #515 of 641 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Garage is full of house stuff, and both my cars in there are down with no time to remedy. The shed is the only available space, so that's where we are working. Normally everything would be prepped and I'd pull my car out of the garage to assemble, but that's not an option this time around.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #516 of 641 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage

sorry to hear about the house fire. hopefully you guys can get everything sorted out!

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #517 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 18, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Two steps forward, one step back. Took the oil pan and timing cover back off to install a cam button. A flat tappet cam shouldn't need it, but we recently discovered evidence that the cam had been walking in his previous motor. Cheap insurance. Checked valve to piston clearance, plenty. Then reassembled and installed heads.

Then he told me last night he was going to have to pull the intake back off, he ran out of sealant on the China wall and ended up with some gaps.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #518 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 18, 9:13 AM
Tech Team
John

Excellent learning experience, some kids never get their hands dirty. This will serve him well the rest of his life even if he becomes a doctor, lawyer, or Indian chief and never has to touch an engine.
Proc likes this.
post #519 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 18, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
Excellent learning experience, some kids never get their hands dirty. This will serve him well the rest of his life even if he becomes a doctor, lawyer, or Indian chief and never has to touch an engine.
Absolutely true!! You are a good teacher, too!
post #520 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 18, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

We've done this probably 10 times in the last 5 years between his car and mine. He's confident and competent to do the job. New things I help him with, but right now I'm too tied up with the house to do much.

He has chosen to follow me into the automotive field for a career, which is a double edged sword. It's a compliment that he wants to do what I do, but I know the long term results he won't be able to escape.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #521 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 18, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Getting closer. Measured bellhousing runout yesterday, about .030. Way too much. We need to order some offset dowels and then I think it will be ready to go in.

Devin
joeyv69ragtop likes this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #522 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 18, 9:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Nice! Can’t wait to see how it runs.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #523 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Today started with dialing in the bellhousing.

We got it within .007." Not bad considering that it started at over .030." Then we drilled and pinned the block for the offset dowels. Something I had not done before. These are Moroso brand, and they were not a press fit, just snug.

Then it was onto out with the old, in with the new.

I didn't take many pictures today, but this is where we stopped. It was a slow day, and we didn't make the progress we had hoped for.

The engine is in, cooling system is hooked up except we discovered that one drain in the block along the pan rail is missing, just need ignition, exhaust and fuel. Hopefully tomorrow.

Devin
davewho1 likes this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #524 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 18, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

More done today. Fuel system done, headers installed (after having to unbolt and lift the engine on the passenger side,) fan, pulleys, alternator in place. Filled with oil.

Went to prime the pump, only to discover there was no driver

Dang it. That makes everything we've done this weekend a waste of time

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #525 of 641 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 4:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

what happened to the driver???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in