My 64 ground up - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 147 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 13, 8:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Re: My 64 ground up

This needs a little updating, I decided to remove the speaker grill on the dash and smooth the firewall. Had to patch both windshield post on the interior side. Both pass and drivers side inner fenders are patched or replaced zip screwed together, drop offs in place, both quarters in place, still trying to get the right fit. Both tail light buckets repaired and clamped in place. Also I blasted the entire inner structure and shot two coats of SPI epoxy primer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bth_DSCN1347_zps9999874b.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	119089   Click image for larger version

Name:	bth_DSCN1376_zpsb21eb835.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	119097   Click image for larger version

Name:	bth_DSCN1383_zps97d9f022.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	119105   Click image for larger version

Name:	bth_DSCN1372_zps18678e9a.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	119113  

Name:	bth_DSCN1387_zps00aa8993.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	119121  

64 Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 147 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 13, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

Nice work. It's coming along well.

Doug
post #18 of 147 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 13, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

I check this site usually every night but dont update my build, more interested with all the other builds. I've check yours out as well, looking good, my plan is to do a 5.3 or 6.0, 4l60, a long way off at this point.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS

post #19 of 147 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 8:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

A little more has taken place, both quarters have been removed and installed at least a dozen times. It seemed like everthing was sitting too far to the drivers side but set all back on with the best fit as far as gaps and fitment, and just didnt look right then decided to put on the rear bumper to check clearance between outside ends of bumper on both sides. The bumper is tweaked a little but with brackets on it slid right on and looked pretty good over all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1406.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	124617  

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #20 of 147 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 14, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Spent the last couple of weekends preparing to weld in both quarters, trunk filler, tail light panel. Went pretty well with close to two hundred spot welds. Of couse the tail light panel has to be welded solid which took a little more time. Spent most of the day today grinding, seems to be no end.
http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/Mi...f313f.jpg.html
http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/Mi...11ca0.jpg.html
http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/Mi...20ba4.jpg.html
Will post more soon

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #21 of 147 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 14, 9:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Got the rough body work done on mine last weekend. Cleaning up the welds sucks and eliminating any pinholes can take some time also. I decided to eliminate all seems also and sealed them up using panel bond so they can all be smoothed out with some filler. Yours is not far from where I'm at looking good.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #22 of 147 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 14, 8:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Thought about closing the seams as well just not sure yet. Today I added the trunk drop offs, got the drivers side welded, pass side is screwed in. Had to cut a relief in the rounded edge towards the rear to change the profile as it didnt match the quarter, easy fix. Probably will weld tomorrow. A few pics:
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...psf6cd74f4.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...psfad9c6ac.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...psfad9c6ac.jpg

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #23 of 147 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 14, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

A couple more:
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9aecaf55.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...ps57d5fe60.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...ps662f2aae.jpg
http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...psd0f25059.jpg

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #24 of 147 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Need to quit checking every one elses builds and work on mine. After welding up the inner and outer wheel houses quarters, drop offs, and trunk filler I decided to move on to the roof, mainly the drip rails. Didnt like them so off they went. So after the welding, it was time to skim coat the roof and do a little profile work where the rails were. Also didnt like the straight "chopped off" look.
Difficult to see the profile but should show up better after the epoxy is applied. I have the back window in to check moulding fitment, may have some gaps to work on there, dont seem to fit real well mainly because of the repop quarters.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #25 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 11:29 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

^^

post #26 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 15, 8:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Thanks Dean, It appeares that I am a dead beat poster. Will try to pick up where I left off, first is a pic of the top after epoxy:

After the top was primed I moved on to the trunk and filler panel, as with most repop panels there was a lot of work getting gaps correct or at least close:

After trunk and filler panel I moved on to the drivers quarter. This was posted in the body shop forum. I had a body line profile problem, not lining up with the door, Her are the start and end of the repair:

This almost get me updated, will have to upload pics to show how it sits now, drivers side is nearly complete, filler is on along with epoxy.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #27 of 147 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 8:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Well on here most every night and I never update my build, so here are a couple of pics, picking up where I left off:

Then on to epoxy:

The profile a couple pics ago turned out pretty good, didnt take any close ups. Moving on to the pass side the same profile was a bit worse. I couldn't make a cut below the body line and move up like the D. side, as the top of quarter window and top of door were pretty much flush, so I tried to compensate with filler, short strand fiber filler. I just started with skim coat, this is how it sits now. I'll take some close ups after epoxy:

I've been trying to do this in sections to keep the body lines crisp, mainly the one down the middle of quarter:

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #28 of 147 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 15, 1:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Looks very good!

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #29 of 147 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 15, 8:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
Looks very good!
Thanks Marcus, Its getting there

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
post #30 of 147 (permalink) Old May 31st, 15, 9:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Time for a little update, after moving to the pass side I had to do some jamb work to straighten them up, previous pic, edges were a little rounded. I had more of a problem with the after market door, the top edge was nearly a 1/4 inch short than the original.

The profile was way off so had to do a little welding.

I did do more adding, but here is the final result.

As it sits now both side are in epoxy, there are still some minor details to fix, like the profile line on pass door seems to dip right at the door jamb, easy fix before 2k.

Moved on to front clip, will post pics as I go along.

64 Chevelle

85 Monte Carlo SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in