Laguna Pics - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

22Likes
  • 7 Post By 1975TypeS-3
  • 2 Post By 1975TypeS-3
  • 1 Post By 68-13427
  • 5 Post By JF74chevelle
  • 3 Post By 1975TypeS-3
  • 3 Post By JF74chevelle
  • 1 Post By 1975TypeS-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Laguna Pics

Not really a build thread yet, but there have been some requests for pics of my Laguna. I have a completely stock 1975 California complete with baked interior! Then it spent 10 years in Michigan sitting under a pine tree without cover! It is in need of a restoration and will eventually get one, right now I have it on top of a 4-post lift in the back corner of my shop as I am currently working on a 1978 Chevy C20 Camper Special (my wife's choice) and a 1978 GMC K25 to be used at my home in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I need to get the GMC up north this spring so that is my current priority.

The Laguna has the original 350 4-bbl and still sports all of the original California emissions equipment. I had been kicking around building a 383 to really wake it up, then stumbled on a complete LS1 - sold the 383 just in time to find out the LS1 was also sold. Found a nice looking 400 block only to find out it had an 8" crack in the valley area that went from a water jacket to a lifter bore - 200 # of scrap. My son reminded me I have a 427 sitting under the Laguna that was going to be put in his 1966 Caprice - he sold the Caprice as a roller and I still have my 427! I will most likely put that in the Laguna along with a TH200-4R I have laying around. I bought the Laguna because somehow my son talked my wife into giving up the 1969 Grand Prix I bought her - my son used it in his wedding and his wife got attached to it. My wife was fine giving up the GP because of the Camper Specail - I wanted the Laguna because I have always want one!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 4:41 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Re: Laguna Pics

Nice fleet, from the Camper Special with Exterior Decor 2-tone & swing-out camper mirrors, of course the GP, and nice Laguna. It looks like you got a solid & complete one which puts you miles ahead. No vinyl roof, which is a relief. Usually you have to remove them to fix the bubbles underneath, and the window moldings get trashed in the process. Swivel buckets!

In '75 you could go with or without side striping. Non-stripe Lagunas would have the same wide rocker & lower door moldings as the Malibu Classic, but only in 1975. Buckets were optional in '75 (unlike '74 when they were standard).

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 5:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Swivel Buckets - console, Economy gauge package. Engine fire up right away, little puff of smoke and a little piston slap, but it doe have 150K on the engine. Original Y-Pipe to the converter, which is also original, rest of the exhaust has been replaced. It is solid, but need some TLC.

The GP is original except a paint job - no rust and no bondo! The Camper Special is a local vehicle that was owned by an RV dealership, used to transport 5th wheels to local sites, then stored during the winter when the owners went to Florida! the GMC is an Arizona truck, a lot of the AZ dessert keep falling on me when working on the underside, but no rust!
71350SS and shovelrick like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 7:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Thanks for the pics Tom, brings back lots of memories. I was born and raised in Lansing, and lived there until 2001. I had 2 '74 Lagunas, one maroon with white stripes, maroon interior and one brown with white stripes, tan interior , both 350 w auto trans. Both cars had swivel buckets and console. Fun cars to drive. Hopefully you can get to yours soon. Terry
davewho1 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Beautiful car, go LS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FF53E2E-38DA-4B87-91E2-785A8F8F12CE_1582266017980.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	617288  

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 7:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Terry, I am a Yooper living in the south! I see you are in Sacramento, spent some time there in the Air Force almost 40 years ago - do not miss the smog Nazi's! I do have a place in the UP where I plan on retiring, has plenty of room for my toys!

Justin, if I can stumble across a good set up like I did and missed, I will jump on it! My son still feels that LS is the way to go because that is what his generation expects. His friends call me on Old School Grandpa, yet I am the one they come to with mechanical issues - they know computers. I like that the younger guys actually look up to me and my years of experience, it is only fair I listen to them. I have a couple of years before I get back on the Laguna, the braking system failed as I was putting it in storage so it is really time to go through the car before I put it back on the road - give it what it deserves.
LeoP, shovelrick and 68-13427 like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
I built my sbc when I was 18, swapped in the 4 speed when I was 17. Just turned 21 two weeks ago and it’s time for me to go LS T56 for me to build a BUDGET “Pro-touring” car. I think that’s we’re the enjoyment comes in, when you have a car that gets good MPG and has an OD to take on the freeway.
LeoP, shovelrick and 68-13427 like this.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 4:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Cool Re: Laguna Pics

Really nice fleet you got there.Both the Lumina and the GP are great cars and the trucks ain't no slouch's either
Considering that Lumina sat out in the Ca sun then under a Michigan pine tree it don't look so bad,consider that car lucky Does the GP have buckets/console or the bench seat ?

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 9:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

GP has buckets and console. The base 350 HP 400 (10:1 compression) and TH400 with the factory ratchet shifter, it really hauls when you get enough octane, cornering needs to be worked on! It is the original engine, exhaust has been replaced with Ram Air Restoration Long Branch manifolds (2.5" outlet) into 2.5" duals. I have heard it described as a "long hood GTO" since they shared the same base driveline.
shovelrick likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 1:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975TypeS-3 View Post
GP has buckets and console. The base 350 HP 400 (10:1 compression) and TH400 with the factory ratchet shifter, it really hauls when you get enough octane, cornering needs to be worked on! It is the original engine, exhaust has been replaced with Ram Air Restoration Long Branch manifolds (2.5" outlet) into 2.5" duals. I have heard it described as a "long hood GTO" since they shared the same base driveline.
I did some very helpful suspension upgrades and it actually handles super flat. I did new bushing all round, new Global west offset A-Arm shaft to be better alignment, Viking double adjustable coilovers in the front with big sway bars and Bilstien shocks in the rear. Surprising handles really well and it’s nice when you can stuff huge tires in there things easily.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in