A small trunk project - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nazarah
  • 1 Post By Nazarah

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 2:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nazarah
A small trunk project

This was my winter project this year. I know it's very small stuff compared to some of the stuff on here, but it was fun for me. And I think it came out pretty OK. Thought I'd share something new to look at.

I removed everything, and cleaned and painted the trunk floor. Repairing small holes where needed.

Then started with the cardboard for the trim pieces. I messed around with trying to do some side pieces that went into the wheel well and also a complete back piece but they all made the trunk seem even smaller than it was becoming to begin with, so I left them out. Just went with the floor and the front trim.

Picked up a different fuel cell, battery hold down, nitrous bracket and stripped / polished the bottle. Used T-Nuts on the under side of the wood panel to bolt everything down. Made up some different fuel lines and then get everything reinstalled again. I even carpeted the panel for the amplifier mount if you can see it clear back there between the bars.

I still plan to somehow secure the floor piece down to the actual trunk floor of the car for a worst case scenario protection. The day it was done it was around 50 degrees here in Nebraska. Warm enough for a test drive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	617024   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	617026   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	617028   Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	617030  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BnA.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	617032  
Rosinbluth likes this.

Never stop learning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 3:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Re: A small trunk project

Looks good

Got ta ask: Maybe I'm missing it but the way your battery cutoff is mounted I don't see how it's activated from the rear (outside the trunk/rear tail panel area) of the car. Please don't tell me that with those tubs, nitrous, etc... that you never frequent your local 1/4 mile track.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 3:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1932 View Post
Looks good

Got ta ask: Maybe I'm missing it but the way your battery cutoff is mounted I don't see how it's activated from the rear (outside the trunk/rear tail panel area) of the car. Please don't tell me that with those tubs, nitrous, etc... that you never frequent your local 1/4 mile track.
Well - I wish I *could* tell you that....... But you are correct, there is no way to activate it from outside currently. It would not pass tech. There are probably no less than 100 things about this car that wouldn't pass tech I'm guessing. But I've never had any car on the track to speak of at all, so to be fair I'm not sure what it takes to pass. The only local track we have is an 1/8th mile, and that was badly damaged during a flood so I'm not even sure that thing is usable right now.
Blown1932 likes this.

Never stop learning!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yep, looks a lot better IMO.

I have been doing wiring for years and this is just meant as a helpful observation but it looks like in your before picture you might have had a fuse on the main power wire and if so hopefully it got reused after the cleaning up and maybe placed behind the Optima battery ?.

Also too it looks like an old Rockford amplifier between the wheel wells and on your after picture if the small red wire off of the battery positive is for that amp, put a fuse on that wire close to the battery terminal. If the braided line were to rub through the red wire and there was not a proper fuse in the right place you could have some real bad damage to things.

One last thing is if you were to do some more work in the trunk, think about putting the Optima battery in a vented enclosure to where if it does become overcharged and vents, the fumes will be directed to the outside or underside of the car.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 4:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage

Good catch Jim!

Yes behind that red top is an ANL fuse mounted to the floor that the main wire all runs through. I have an inline fuse for the amp on the way from Amazon today. Of all the things it took to do this project, that small piece was one of them that I did not have on hand.

I'll take a peek at those vented enclosures. Never thought of that. And - probably an item that would help me pass tech one day!

Never stop learning!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 4:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazarah View Post
Good catch Jim!

Yes behind that red top is an ANL fuse mounted to the floor that the main wire all runs through. I have an inline fuse for the amp on the way from Amazon today. Of all the things it took to do this project, that small piece was one of them that I did not have on hand.

I'll take a peek at those vented enclosures. Never thought of that. And - probably an item that would help me pass tech one day!
Just wanted to throw some things out to you.

I don't know if the Optima's need to be in an enclosure to pass a "tech" inspection at a track but if they do not I would add one anyway. Some of the tech rules I've seen are outdated like them like not checking or needing a main power fuse on the battery and then "thinking" the master on/off switch will cut all of the power when off.

I know WAY too many people think the Optima's are the shizzle and they cannot vent fumes but they can and while in a buddies car he had an old style battery like in your before photo, his regulator stuck and overcharged the battery filling the trunk with fumes. He was at a rest stop and opened the trunk and I could smell the rotten egg scent and before I could say anything, he twisted a battery connection to see if it was tight and it was not and then created a spark which then ignited the fumes with the battery exploding in his face. Not a good thing to happen at all.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 8:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Matt

Garage

Dang. That is brutal. I can't imagine the aftermath of a battery exploding in someone's face.

As opposed to last year, I plan to put more than 100 miles on the car this year. I'll keep this on the to do list.

Sounds like alot more fun of a to do than chasing down the leak out of this TH400..............it's a never ending deal.

Never stop learning!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 12:24 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

Very nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in