'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie"

Last Memorial Day weekend, the wife and I took a drive to pick up my dream car. I've always wanted a 70 Chevelle since I was a young 20 something back in Ohio.
The wife found one in Vallejo area of San Fran on a Chevelle site on Facebook. There's not much to the car. The interior has been completely stripped and there's nothing else to the car. It's only a frame and a shell of a body. There was no documentation, ie. build sheets anywhere in the car. The only thing I have is the VIN and data plates. All I can say is, it's a Cranberry Red car, with bucket seats and a console. I know this by the mounts spot welded to the floor. I believe this was originally an automatic car, because of the single brake pedal and a small hole in the floor for the shifter cable.

Once I got the car home, I started cleaning out all of the nuts that the squirrels had rat holed in it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the car in general was in pretty good shape. The left rear quarter needs to be replace, and I got a new one with the car. The floor pans on the drivers side and passenger side need replaced. But the rear floor pans look like they came off the showroom floor. There is one section under the back seat that needs replaced, because the floor pan got shoved up some how. The trunk floor is solid, as is the taillight panel.

I don't know what brain surgeon decided to hack up the package tray and for what reason, but this will need to be replaced as well.
Overall, the car is in fairly decent shape, considering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2388.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	526465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2419.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	526481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2421.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	526489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2423.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	526497  

Name:	DSCN2428.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	526505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2425.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	526513  

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
Re: '70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie"

As I stated in the title. The wife has nicknamed this car as "Frankie" after the movie icon Frankenstein. Which given the fact there's nothing to really start with, this car will be assembled with a mix of old OEM and new repop parts. I will be using as many OEM parts as possible. I do a lot of shopping for parts on eBay and it's funny to see what people want for parts just by listing them as for an L78, LS5 and, LS6, car with no proof that it came off such a car.

The wife didn't want me to start hording parts, but that's too late. I starting buying things up as soon as I got the car home. One item I got was a 12 bolt differential. This originally had 3.31 gears. I have since swapped those out for 3.55's and the diff is now ready to be installed. The reason for the 3.55's is that this car will be rebuilt as an L78 car and this was the stock gearing for that engine.

When I bought the car, the guy says, Oh, I stripped the frame down and repainted it a few years ago. All you need to do is start building it up. Wrong! After I had the body off the car I noticed that the frame looked bent to me. So I made an appointment with my local Chevy Dealers' Body Shop and had the rolling chassis put on the frame rack. Good thing I did, the front of the frame was way out. So after 8 hours of shop time the frame is as straight as it ever was.

After I got the frame back home, I flipped the frame upside down and fixed a myriad of issues. One was a huge gaping hole in the front cross member on the bottom. Others were to remove the half a$$ welded in bolts for the rear shocks. I ground out the holes and welded in the correct thickness washers. Then I had to weld up some holes in the rear frame and replace the back cross member, because it had been pulled on and bent it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0038.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	526521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0001.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	526529   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0004.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	526537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0005.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	526545  

Name:	DSCN0007.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	526553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0008.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	526561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0009.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	526569  

Chris

Last edited by Jayhawk500; Feb 19th, 18 at 4:58 PM.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 18, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

I took the frame and had it sandblasted and primered. I got a good coat of Chassis Black put on and I let it dry. I had to remove the engine mounts from the frame because the same brain surgeon decided to move the motor mounts up about one hole length. So I ground off the tack welds and filled in the holes that were drilled, leaving the factory holes alone.

All of those parts I started hording are now being put on the chassis. As you can see in the photos, The upper a-arms are now installed along with the close ratio gearbox and idler arm. I have to order new lower a-arms because the holes for the ball joints were wallowed out.

The plan for today is to get the 12 bolt installed. The springs sitting on the floor are supposedly factory LS6 springs. The seller told me these are low mileage springs. We'll see when I get the body back on. If some one can look at the 00 tag on the spring and tell me is the P/N is for an LS6 car, that would be great. If its anything other than that...Well, buyer be where, correct?

Until next time...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0035.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	526577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0036.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	526585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	526593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	526601  

Chris

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 9:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Nick

Cool story and project. My 70 Malibu is in for paint and has already been totally mocked up. Have a bunch of steering and dash/wiring parts left over. Let me know if you have some difficulty finding something.

Best, Nick

Here's a link to my 2014 Camaro SS donor to 70 Malibu restomod project:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
Cool story and project. My 70 Malibu is in for paint and has already been totally mocked up. Have a bunch of steering and dash/wiring parts left over. Let me know if you have some difficulty finding something.

Best, Nick
Yes, yes ,yes, I surely will. I'll have a bunch of time until that happens, but I'm always looking for parts.

Thanks
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Chris
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

I received my order from Inline Tube two weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with their product. Although I still had to do some hand forming to get everything to fit. the tubes are very well done. I've had to cut off a few flared ends and re-flare the tubes, to shorten them just a bit in order to get them to fit properly. The right hand axel tube I had to re-make after I cut too much of the tube off. The main rear brake tube was a bit of a challenge. I had to either add more to the bend or add a twist to the tube, plus re-do a flare a couple of times to get the tube in the proper place. But I do have all the tubes in place for now. The rest will be added at a later time when I get the body back on the frame.

Now on to the calipers. Look closely at the two pictures...Do you see a major problem? The right caliper is the correct one. The company I ordered these calipers from is going to make it right or I'll be sending back both calipers. I've already been in contact with them.

This has been a huge task in getting this post put up. For some reason my computer and this site don't like each other.

Attempting to complete the post
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0073.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	572904   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0076.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	572906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0077.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	572908   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0078.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	572910  

Name:	DSCN0079.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	572912   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0080.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	572914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0081.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	572916  

Chris

Last edited by Jayhawk500; Aug 19th, 18 at 10:28 AM.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Didn't get the post completed. Ran out of time.

Ignore the 3rd picture with the old front brake tubing. This is there to help remind me as to what went where. This has all been replaced with new tubing. Pictures will follow in my next post.

Chris
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 3:07 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Looks like someone was cutting that package tray with an air chisel. OUCH!

Good looking frame! Congrats on your accomplishments and good luck on your project.

Protesting should not be a license for anarchy.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 3:33 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Chris,
Looks like you are making some good progress. Summit Racing sells original rebuilt calipers for a very reasonable price. Glad you are happy with your brake line purchase. I personally think they are one of the worst vendors in the business. Lord help you if you have a problem with their product.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 5:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Chris,
Looks like you are making some good progress. Summit Racing sells original rebuilt calipers for a very reasonable price. Glad you are happy with your brake line purchase. I personally think they are one of the worst vendors in the business. Lord help you if you have a problem with their product.
Time will tell...Haven't had a problem up to this point.

P.S. The calipers came from a different vendor.

Chris
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 5:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
Looks like someone was cutting that package tray with an air chisel. OUCH!

Good looking frame! Congrats on your accomplishments and good luck on your project.
Thank you for the kind comments. This will be a labor of love.

Chris
post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #1 Cont.

I was able to get the fuel lines installed yesterday. I have to wait to get the body back on before I can finish fitting and forming the lines to meet the tank connections.
Getting the fuel line through the frame was a Pain in the A$$. No directions in the AIM for this and the drawings aren't very good. I basically used a piece of safety wire and fished the tubes through.

I receive a PM from a member asking me about the restrictor valve on the rear crossmember for the rear brakes. I added a picture of that and I added a picture of the finished front brake lines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0082.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	572982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0085.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	572984   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0086.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	572986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0088.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	572988  

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	572990  

Chris

Last edited by Jayhawk500; Aug 20th, 18 at 10:27 AM.
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 3:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
Not at home currenly, so I'll add updated pictures later.

I was able to order the correct left caliper and send back the wrong caliper for a full refund. Really happy with the calipers, but I will now and from now on get this type of stuff from my local NAPA store. I could have this completed weeks ago. Sometimes the best deal, isn't always the best deal.
I did get the shocks installed on all 4 corners. Just waiting on the correct upper bolts for the rear shocks.
The last item I need to get, is the rear sway bar and hardware. Once I get this installed, the chassis should be complete. Then, it's on to the motor.
Nobees likes this.

Chris
post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 9:52 PM
Mark

Garage

Very cool! I'm chomping at the bit to get to this point. Gonna tear into teardown this next week. Yours is looking great!
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 18, 6:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobees View Post
Very cool! I'm chomping at the bit to get to this point. Gonna tear into teardown this next week. Yours is looking great!
Thank You!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in