'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 87 (permalink) Old May 16th, 20, 5:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
Re: '70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie"

Thanks for the words Nick! Dave and I have already figured out a solution. The trunk lid actually needs to go forward about 1/4". But, I cant do that until I remove the filler panel. And, I'm not taking the trunk lid off until the new quarter panel is in place and welded in. Then I'll go back and re-do the filler panel.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 87 (permalink) Old May 16th, 20, 6:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #12 Cont.

After I posted this morning I went down and before I started cutting off the bad quarter panel I took some reference photos of the trunk lid. The right side needs to go forward and the left side needs to come back. Weird.. To say the least. Dave, The guy helping me replace the quarter has been a body guy for quite awhile and I'm sure we'll get this all ironed out. Everything forward of the two black lines on the left side is the original panel. The trunk lid I feel is not original to the car itself, but it is an original trunk lid. If you look close enough to the filler panel you can see the gaps. It's also too low to the trunk lid in the center.

Having the back portion of the quarter panel pre-removed sped up the time it took to get 85% of the panel off. Once that was outside and out of my way...I started on the rear window frame. Even though the quarter panel was rusted out in the window channel, the structure underneath was solid. It was simply a wire wheel and a non-abrasive pad and it was clean.

Then it was on to the weather strip channel around the trunk opening. I couldn't get my spot weld cutter in the groove so I just used my cut off wheel and ground out the spot welds. It was a slow tedious process, but I was able to make short work of it.

A forum member a month or so ago, asked in the electrical section about the taillight wiring, in the fact of where it went between the last wire clip and the rear taillight panel. Well, For those of us that haven't removed a quarter panel, Here it is...There is a channel on both sides of the trunk. The tail light harness either clips onto the gutter or lays in the gutter out of the way. Sorry for the tool mess in the photo.

Then I moved up to the back of the quarter window. WOW, what a pain in the A$$. Not wanting to destroy any metal work and remove the remaining panel took a bunch of time. I basically sectioned out small pieces at a time to get it removed.
Then it was on to the roof line. Luckily, this piece basically fell out except for one spot weld that was hanging up.

Then I moved back to the tail light panel, The brain surgeon from past work (ie. The quarter panel skin) brazed in the panel and welded the panel in spots.
Well, While I was trying to remove the back portion of the quarter panel, I accidently ground through the tail light panel. I will have to fix this issue before the new panel is installed.

Tomorrow I will remove the last of the original quarter panel around the door opening. I'm surprised at how strong this still is when I close the door. It doesn't even wiggle.

Until tomorrow....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0134.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	626886   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0137.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	626888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0135.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	626890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0136.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	626892  

Name:	DSCN0138.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	626896   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0140.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	626898   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0141.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	626900   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0142.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	626902  

Name:	DSCN0144.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	626904   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0145.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	626906  
roadster601 likes this.

Chris
post #78 of 87 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 5:26 PM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Looking good Chris... you have done a lot of work in a real short time and it's done well.
roadster601 likes this.

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #79 of 87 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 6:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
Looking good Chris... you have done a lot of work in a real short time and it's done well.
Thanks Casey, That means a lot!
It's all work that could be completed without a lot of money. Once the quarter's on...Then, anything there after will require large chunks of cash. Starting with the dipper, then the body shop to spray the primer to seal it.

Chris
post #80 of 87 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 6:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

I have completed removing the old quarter panel. It's all cleaned up for the most part. I do have to weld in some holes that I accidently went too far with,
when I was drilling out the spot welds. I also have to fix the tail light panel were I ground through removing the brazing from the patch job.

I also got tired of smelling the mouse piss in my rear seat, which was sitting right next to where I was working. The frames are not in the greatest of shape, but they are the original ones and hopefully they'll work. Really don't want to buy new ones. The plan is to have these dipped with the car at the same time.

Now I'm at the mercy for Dave's schedule. I should be able to get all the repairs done before next weekend, I hope!

Until next time...Stay Healthy my friends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0146.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	627082   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0147.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	627084  

Chris
post #81 of 87 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Well, Today is the day. Dave will be here is a short while and we'll be putting the quarter panel on the body.
I was so upset about the trunk filler panel not lining up, or just fitting like to should, so I ripped it out.
It will go back in after the quarter is on.
Pictures will follow tomorrow.

Chris
post #82 of 87 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 7:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Dave did an awesome job!!!! The quarter panel and the trunk filler panel are back on the car and lined up. Dave did some initial welding to where he felt there was no chance of the panels moving and I'll finish it up. I am so happy with the way it turned out, I'm almost as giddy as a little school girl. The photos are in progression. I had just hung the quarter on the car to see how bad the alignment was, and I was pleasantly surprised that with not even trying, it lined up somewhat okay.

Finally, I was afraid that my core support would get damaged sitting on the floor, so I mounted it to the frame and started mocking up some parts. I think these parts will stay for now. If I have to remove the support, it's only 2 bolts and it's off.

While Dave was doing his thing, I stayed out of the way and cleaned up some OEM bolts and the headlight buckets. Lubed the wiper arms so they spin freely. Just need to clean them up and get them painted.

Yippie Ki Yeah! A major hurdle has been completed.

Until next time....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0148.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	627734   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0149.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	627736   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0150.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	627738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0151.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	627740  

Name:	DSCN0152.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	627742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0153.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	627744   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0154.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	627746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0155.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	627748  

Chris
post #83 of 87 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 3:25 AM
Senior Tech Team

Everybody needs a friend like that. Nice job. Looks like it's sitting where it needs to be.

When does the car go to the dipper?

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #84 of 87 (permalink) Old May 24th, 20, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Everybody needs a friend like that. Nice job. Looks like it's sitting where it needs to be.

When does the car go to the dipper?
I need to come up with about $3700 first. Wanted to use the C.C. for that but unfortunately, they don't take C.C.'s. Needs to be cash. I'm hoping to get it done before the summers out. I don't want it to sit through another wet winter here in the PNW without a good coat of epoxy on it.

Chris
post #85 of 87 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #12 Finished

Not a lot was accomplished this week. The only thing I did was finish up refilling in the plug-weld holes that were missed after grinding down the welds. Then, I re-installed the trunk lid. I'm happy with the gaps and alignment with the door and deck lid. It will still take some massaging to get everything aligned up perfect, but everything is going to come off again when it gets dipped. All in all, I'm very happy with the way this little project turned out.

I have now started on the passenger front fender, its the better of the two fenders. I haven't decided if I'm going to try and repair the drivers side. It would save me a bunch of $$$ if I was able too. Also, the benefit would be, it's still OEM metal. I ordered the patch panel and hopefully that will show up today according to the tracking number. I'll post up photos the next time I'm on here. I also took a better photo of the core support from last week.

I am now at a time in the project that I will be having to pay down some bills and build a deck for the house. I'll be back frequently to keep my thread alive. I will be on the site every day, just not posting as often.

Until next time my friends...Stay healthy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0156.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	628416   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0157.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	628418   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0158.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	628420   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0159.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	628422  

Name:	DSCN0160.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	628424  
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Chris
post #86 of 87 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 20, 6:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #13 Fenders

Just a quick post to keep my thread alive. Had to wait on the patch panel and then we went camping for 4 days. Polished off a whole bottle of Pendleton. Yum.....

It took almost 2 weeks to complete the passenger front fender. I luckily only had to replace a small section at the back bottom of the fender. I'm going to look at the drivers fender next and see it its salvageable. I'm sure it is to most skilled body people, But I'm not very good at that. I just invoke Dave's help again with this fender.

Once I got the outer fender skin off, I found some serious rust underneath. I welded in all of the deep pits and then rust treated everything else.
I also welded in any holes that were for emblems or trim. The plan is to use 3M tape to attach any emblems. Trim is going to be minimal. The first couple of pictures are of the bad section. I know, we all know what rust looks like. Finally the finished product. I'm hoping that minimal body filler will need to be used.

Here's some pictures of the passenger side.

Until Next Time.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0170.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	630184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0169.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	630186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0161.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	630188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0165.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	630190  

Name:	DSCN0166.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	630192   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0167.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	630194  
Pete 67 likes this.

Chris
post #87 of 87 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

It's been awhile since I posted last...Just keeping my thread alive.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in