'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 20, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie"

I'm have to start this thread over again because is sat stagnant for too long. The site wouldn't allow me to continue where I left off. So I have attached the link to my first thread for those of you wanting to start following or continue following Frankie being Reborn.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/142...a-frankie.html

I had 3 nice paragraphs all typed out when I found out I couldn't reply to my previous thread. So anyway it'll be much, much shorter this time. I will tell you that "Life did get in the way". Mostly do to cash follow, cause I want to retire in three years and I had open heart surgery back in December.

So with the long story told short, we mush ahead...

I always seem to remember to start taking photos after the fact, and this is the case again. I had gotten a couple of patch panels for the not so local "classic" salvage yard a while ago. So this is where I pick up with Frankie being reborn.
I had to replace the center section under the rear seat due to some sort of damage and repair a rusted out section on the right side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0048.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	616098

Name:	DSCN0054.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	616100

I then moved on to the package tray. Since the majority of the body is in very good condition, preforming major surgery on the tray isn't required. The structure is in very solid and sound condition. Just rusty from years of sitting outside unprotected and no paint on it from the factory.
As before, no "before picture". We start with cutting the package tray off in the back, then grinding out the spot welds. I have a spot weld cutter but the angles were a pain to deal with and the cutter kept walking, no matter how deep the pilot punch was.
I've tried twice to rotate the first picture. It is saved the correct way.

Name:	DSCN0051.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	616102

Name:	DSCN0056.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	616104

I got the tray out yesterday morning, so now its on the donor tray. I have to clean that up, trim off the back edge, and find some weld through primer.

All in all, the more I look at this body the more work I'm finding. When I removed the rear glass I found the rusted out window channel on the drivers side. Luckily, that will get fixed when the left quarter panel is replaced. The right side, there is about 6-8" that need replacing. Also, the filler panel beteen the rear window and trunk will get replace too.

Name:	DSCN0052.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	616106

Name:	DSCN0053.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	616108

So for now this is where I am. Until next time...
427L88, 12stones and roadster601 like this.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 20, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

re: '70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie"

Good to see you are back at it!

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 7:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

I'm going to continue from last weeks post. It has taken me all week to finish up the package tray.
Having open heart surgery slows a person down, simply because I don't want to over do it.

I have just ordered the trunk filler panel and the tail light panel, due to finding holes in the sheet metal in the weather strip channel. The whole filler panel will be replaced, but the tail light panel will be sectioned out since the ends are just fine. There's about a 3' section right in the center that needs replaced. I'll surgically replace that when the new part arrives.

Until next Time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0024.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	616614   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	616616  
427L88, artmalibu and roadster601 like this.

Chris

post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 1:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
Bucket Seat Adapter Bolts

Please see the attached pictures. I am needing to replace some of these bolts in my factory bucket seat adapters due to rust damaging the threads.
Anyone know of a source for these bolts? What is this style of bolt called? I've tried flat head bolt, Blind head bolt and nothing comes up.
Any help will be appreciated. This bolt is fine and can be reused.

Thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200226_101108.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	617762   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200226_101118.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	617764  

Chris
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 20, 1:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #3 New Metal

Its been a few weeks since I posted last. Not a lot has been completed. I've been waiting on a .com company to get me the correct mig welding torch for my welder. Most of the gas was coming out of my handle verses out the end of the tip. So I was getting a lot of spurting and sputtering when I welded.
I received that yesterday. So I'll spend today replacing that. While I was working on the back trunk opening panel I ran out of wire. So now I have to get more wire. Never ends.

I have made the decision that I'm going to have the body dipped to remove all of the paint, bondo, and rust. I areas that will be metal to metal contact I'm cleaning up the surface, rust treating and then using weld through primer to seal out an future rust issues. In areas were there are holes, I clean up the area but I don't get overly zealous. The acid will be able to get in those areas and take care of the rust.

I removed the filler panel from between the truck and rear window. I was surprised on the amount of rust on the inside. But this is one area that will see the acid.

The filler panel is from NPD and fits just fine. I had to trim some of the metal off the side tabs cause it didn't sit flush with the fender.
Once I got the panel to fit like I wanted, I moved on to the rear "tail light panel", that's what NPD calls it. The weather strip groove had a bunch of rust holes. Instead of trying to weld those closed, I decided to just replace the portion of the panel effected.

Now I have to replace my welder torch and get some more wire to install the panel. I also have a pneumatic hole puncher/flanger coming early this week. Then, it'll be back to the filler panel.

Until next time...Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0024.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	618792   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0027.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	618794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0029.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	618796   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0030.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	618798  

Name:	DSCN0032.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	618800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0033.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	618802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0034.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	618804  

Chris
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 6:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

Wish I had seen this earlier, Belden Speed makes nice patch panels for the rear window rust out, without replacing the entire filler panel. Also the sides of the quarter panel. They also have very good measurements for placement of the window clip studs. The rust under the filler is nothing unusual, as it was all bare steel after being dipped to clean for paint at the factory. Wish I had the ability to dip an entire body within reasonable distance of me. My '70 could benefit from that, but it might fall apart too... I have a 1 piece cabin floor and 1 piece trunk pan for it, for starters.
I'll be following along.

70 Chevelle SS 396, M20 Oshawa built Z25 project.
66 Chevelle SS 396, Atlanta built 138 driver/project.
67 Camaro, ss/rs 350 LA built driver/project.
62 Impala SS with a transplant 409
1954 210 2 dr sedan 292 6 cyl, straight axle project
38 Chev coupe...355, 200r4, 8.5" 3.42 posi
69 Chev C10
89 R3500 roll back car carrier
post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second_chance_SS View Post
Wish I had seen this earlier, Belden Speed makes nice patch panels for the rear window rust out, without replacing the entire filler panel. Also the sides of the quarter panel. They also have very good measurements for placement of the window clip studs. The rust under the filler is nothing unusual, as it was all bare steel after being dipped to clean for paint at the factory. Wish I had the ability to dip an entire body within reasonable distance of me. My '70 could benefit from that, but it might fall apart too... I have a 1 piece cabin floor and 1 piece trunk pan for it, for starters.
I'll be following along.
Glad to see your back Mitch! Looking forward to your comments in the future.

Just went to Beldens website. Wish I had known about this 4 weeks ago......

Chris
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #4 Tail Light Panel

It been 12 days since I last posted. My 3 month anniversary was yesterday for my open heart surgery & I feel fantastic.

After having to do odd jobs around the house most of the week, I was finally able to complete the install of the tail light panel. I'm only able to work on Frankie a couple of hours a day after work. Then its on to what the wife needs done.

I'm very pleased with the fitment of the tail light panel from NPD. As you can see I sectioned out only what had to be replaced. As I have stated in previous posts, I want to leave as much original metal of the car as possible.

I ordered my Goodmark floor pans from Summit Racing on Wednesday and the front drivers side was delivered yesterday. Not bad for over night delivery. This is the pan that was dropped shipped. The other two are coming from Nevada.

I still have to order the L. outer wheelhouse and the right lower quarter panel patch.

I've asked the body shop manager from my local Chevy dealer to stop by, 'cause I wanted to ask him some questions on replacing the L. quarter panel and the truck filler panel. I want to know, If I left about 6-8 inches of the filler panel un-welded, would there be enough room to replace the quarter panel? I believe there would be, But I want to be sure.

This is all there is for now. I know its baby steps compared to other projects, But I'm finally moving ahead.

Until next time...

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0035.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	620006   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0036.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	620008   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	620010  
Second_chance_SS likes this.

Chris
post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
Re: '70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie"

A big thank you to the mediators for editing my title in the original post.

Chris
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:02 PM
Team Member
Jim

Glad to hear you are recovering and back working on your car, the sheet metal repair looks good!
Jayhawk500 likes this.
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 7:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #5 Filler Panel Install

This will be short. I was going to wait on the body shop manager as I stated above, but, I decided to move on. Everything to the right of the blue masking tape has been welded into place. Everything to the left, I left alone since the quarter panel has to be replaced and there was no sense it welding it in if it 's going to get removed anyway.

I did a little investigating on the wheelhouses yesterday. The passenger side has a hole in it about the size of a golf ball and the left side looks to be as if was in some sort of impact. Anyway, I ordered both the outer left wheelhouse and the right quarter patch panel.

I also received the other 2 floor pans this afternoon. But before I move on to the floor pans...I want to finish up in the trunk. I have at least 5 holes to fill and a couple of dents to pound out.

Until next time...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0038.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	620092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0039.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	620094   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0042.jpg
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	620096   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	620098  

Name:	DSCN0040.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	620100   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0041.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	620102  

Chris
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 7:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelhop View Post
Glad to hear you are recovering and back working on your car, the sheet metal repair looks good!
Thank you very much!

Chris
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 6:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage
'70 Chevelle to be Reborn AKA "Frankie" Update #6 Trunk Work

I spent the morning cleaning up the trunk. I know it doesn't seem much different than the above photos and no it's not ready for paint, I just wanted to see if there were any rust holes in the floor before sending it to be dipped. (Every time I type or say "Dipped" I think of the Roger Rabbit Movie and how everyone is afraid of the DIP.) Anyway I digress, You can see the shiny spots that got filled in. Most of the holes were man made, the 3 in the center were from time and rusting through. Once I get the car back from the dipper, I'll put it on a rotisserie and clean up the bottom. But there are 10 holes that got filled in.
I also pounded out a few dents. The people who owned this car did not care what happened to it. Geez..... But all in all, the body is still in very good condition. Its better than most this age, that have rusted out floors, rusted out trunks, missing rocker panels, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0044.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	620268  
427L88 and roadster601 like this.

Chris
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 7:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

Shave and a haircut..........
Jayhawk500 likes this.

70 Chevelle SS 396, M20 Oshawa built Z25 project.
66 Chevelle SS 396, Atlanta built 138 driver/project.
67 Camaro, ss/rs 350 LA built driver/project.
62 Impala SS with a transplant 409
1954 210 2 dr sedan 292 6 cyl, straight axle project
38 Chev coupe...355, 200r4, 8.5" 3.42 posi
69 Chev C10
89 R3500 roll back car carrier
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 6:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second_chance_SS View Post
Shave and a haircut..........
2 Bits, my friend!
Second_chance_SS likes this.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in