1969 Chevelle SS Build - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Re: 1969 Chevelle SS Build

The car was originally Lemans Blue but my wife's got a thing for dark green (her DD is a 2009 Bullitt). She was going back and forth on the Fathom Green to at least keep it period correct but she's now fallen in love with the Lime Rock Green they did on the 2014 Stingrays. I think the color looks really nice on a modern car, but I'm a little on the fence about it on a classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 8:37 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Just a suggestion but if your build is going towards original or stock then you would be wise to consider the original color. However if it is other than original then pick what ever strikes your fancy.. If you would ever imagine reselling getting away from a color that was offered puts it into a custom class and may be a little harder sell.
NickeyChevelle and shovelrick like this.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 10:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Just a suggestion but if your build is going towards original or stock then you would be wise to consider the original color. However if it is other than original then pick what ever strikes your fancy.. If you would ever imagine reselling getting away from a color that was offered puts it into a custom class and may be a little harder sell.
Brad; in your opinion - what if he chose to build towards stock and if he chose a '69 factory color other than what the car was born with?

Do you think that would effect the selling price, too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 11:15 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Welcome to the site!. Keep the pictures coming..
Both colors are great colors and will look awesome on it either way you go, but I somewhat do agree with Brad if you ever needed to sell and make a quick sale I think the original color faster at a higher dollar jmo

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Yeah the color choice has been a BIG topic of discussion. Overall I would call the project a slight resto-mod with some bolt-ons that the next owner could roll back without too much of a headache (serpentine belt kit, rear disc conversion, Vintage Air A/C, stereo). The paint color is probably not on that "easy" list. My wife tends to hold onto cars for a while but I would definitely be curious to hear how you guys think a factory, non-original color would affect the sale.
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 12:05 PM
Team Member
Dave

My own .02 is that I'd consider for purchase any car that was a color that was available from the factory for that car in that model year, regardless of whether it as original to that car. I would also have no issue with any of the reversible mods that you are doing. Once you paint a car a non stock for that year car, you are entering street rod territory, and finding a buyer at your price becomes all the more difficult. I also fall into the "its your car, do what you like category" , but you can't expect to reap top dollar at sale time (and there is always sale time, regardless of what we tell ourselves!) if you deviate. The more personalized a car is, the smaller your pool of potential buyers becomes.

edit, just looked at Lime Rock Green, it IS gorgeous!
Alan F, RAIDER SS and shovelrick like this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 20, 3:31 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
My own .02 is that I'd consider for purchase any car that was a color that was available from the factory for that car in that model year, regardless of whether it as original to that car. I would also have no issue with any of the reversible mods that you are doing. Once you paint a car a non stock for that year car, you are entering street rod territory, and finding a buyer at your price becomes all the more difficult. I also fall into the "its your car, do what you like category" , but you can't expect to reap top dollar at sale time (and there is always sale time, regardless of what we tell ourselves!) if you deviate. The more personalized a car is, the smaller your pool of potential buyers becomes.

edit, just looked at Lime Rock Green, it IS gorgeous!
Yep, this is what I was trying to say. Or at least what I was thinking.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 8:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I appreciate the input guys. I will run that by the wife and let her weigh everything.

In the meantime, the front and rear brakes are back on. The solid lines on the rear axle were removed for some touch-up painting.

The posi should be in and engine/trans should be re-mounted some time this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200124_171530(1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	614712   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200126_192351.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	614714  
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage

So I just (hopefully) got my wife the most expensive pair of shoes I will ever have to buy her. American Racing Torq Thrust IIs with Mag Gray Machined Lip finish, wrapped in BFG Sport Comp 2s. 17x8 -11 front with 245/45r17 and 17x9.5 +8 rear with 275/40r17 (everything is just thrown up for looks so, yes, the rear is on backward).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_105421.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	616256   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_105413.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	616258   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_104340.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	616260   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_104428.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	616272  

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Also, for anybody that was interested in the paint color, my wife saw a Silverado this weekend that was painted in the same Lime Rock Green as the 2014 Vette (though I believe they called it Rainforest Green on the 2015 Silverado) and still loved it, so I think she's going to stick with that choice. For the record, I did tell everything you guys said.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 1:55 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

It's the OP's car and a Free Country.....but LeMans Blue on a '69 Chevelle SS is highly desirable, IMHO.

When it comes time to sell the car, not having the paint match the factory WILL be a negative factor, IMHO. I would like to add that "Lemons" Blue may be the most desirable color for that year.....and it matches the VIN. Do you really want to mess with that? I would not......but that's just me.

This is coming from a guy with a Frost Green '69....whose first '69 was LeMans Blue.
NickeyChevelle and shovelrick like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 3:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Looks great. Thanks for sharing!
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 20, 5:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
Brad; in your opinion - what if he chose to build towards stock and if he chose a '69 factory color other than what the car was born with?

Do you think that would effect the selling price, too?
Yes it does. A paint job is semi permanent (and expensive) that you do have to be certain what color you really want (and one that "fits" the car).

TRUE STORY: I used to know a guy (he was head of store security at the local Sears, until it closed) who scarfed up a "garage-find" one owner, low mile 1969 Chevelle Malibu (307, PG, Butternut Yellow, Black Vinyl top, black bench interior). The car belonged to the guy's little old lady next door neighbor. The car had been garaged it's whole life AND not driven for upwards of 20 years. The Malibu had been cared for by the original owner's grandson -- with the intention of the grandson inheriting the car when the time came. The kid kept the car immaculate, drove it up and down the driveway, etc... However, when the time came the grandson wanted a rice burner and passed on the car!

The guy bought the car and then had it painted THE MOST HIDEOUS shade of purple you can imagine (not only did the color not look right, it was forking ugly). The guy just hated the color and sold it off the following summer (he couldn't afford another paint job). Due to the color the guy had a hard time selling the car and couldn't get anywhere near the car's value.

Our You Tube Vids:

Last edited by NickeyChevelle; Feb 11th, 20 at 5:40 PM.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 20, 9:22 PM
Team Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawight View Post
The car was originally Lemans Blue but my wife's got a thing for dark green (her DD is a 2009 Bullitt). She was going back and forth on the Fathom Green to at least keep it period correct but she's now fallen in love with the Lime Rock Green they did on the 2014 Stingrays. I think the color looks really nice on a modern car, but I'm a little on the fence about it on a classic.
Just my 2 cents but Green Chevelles do not sell as easily other colors. If you are worried about value or resale I would avoid Green.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 20, 1:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for all of the feedback on this guys. I will be sure to re-emphasis everything but, ultimately, it ain't up to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in