Our 68 Chevelle/Malibu - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

12Likes
  • 2 Post By JetZ
  • 2 Post By JetZ
  • 2 Post By Greg P
  • 1 Post By JetZ
  • 1 Post By JetZ
  • 2 Post By 68-13427
  • 1 Post By Dean
  • 1 Post By JetZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 6:23 PM Thread Starter

Our 68 Chevelle/Malibu

My son and I are about to embark on this project. We'll keep a record of the restoration. I'll post pics from time to time. And PLEASE feel free to offer any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_081105_1568672578715.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	603600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_081127_1568672592477.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	603602  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 6:24 PM Thread Starter

More pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190916_081056_1568672652642.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	603606   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_081116_1568672665625.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	4.80 MB
ID:	603608  
RAMBO and DUTCH MAX HEADWORK like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 7:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage
Re: Our 68 Chevelle/Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetZ View Post
My son and I are about to embark on this project. We'll keep a record of the restoration. I'll post pics from time to time. And PLEASE feel free to offer any advice.
This is a great project for you and your son to do! Good for you! Do post pix and ask questions as you go along. Don't get in a hurry as this will take some time (more than most anticipate); just keep steadily after it. And . . . whatever you think that this restoration is going to cost; if you double it you will be closer to the truth.

Others will give good advice about how to proceed and in what order. My advice is to keep an accurate record of everything that you do. In my opinion, this will make the project more interesting.

Take before and after pictures of everything that you do. You cannot take too many! You will take a series of pix of some thing or some area. Later on you will try to remember how something went together or was wired or what finish was it, and now you can go back and find out. When I started in this hobby I had to consider how much it would cost me for the ASA 400 35 mm film for my camera and then how much to develop each pix. Just be glad you don't have to worry about that now. File each series of pix in a folder on your computer by date and area of work.

Buy a 100 page 8-1/2 x 11 spiral notebook. Record a history of everything that you do on the car. Start with a section that documents all of the data of the car. E.g., VIN, body number plate, engine number, transmission code, rear end code; and then what each of those mean. If you don't have the references to decode those -- guess what? Team Chevelle can tell you! In the notebook, write down everything that you do and then list what needs to be done or what parts need to be ordered. Note the dates there the date that you took pix of that area to make it easier to go back and review what you did and how it needs to go back together.

Optional: Have separate sections in your notebook where you track, by date, how many hours you spend on this project and how much $ you spend. I have done this and found that my pre-restoration estimates were way low. Warning: if asked by significant others how many hours or dollars have been invested on this project, you can't say "oh a lot - I just don't know."

Good luck with your '68.

Greg
davewho1 and 68-13427 like this.

My 68
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my 68
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 9:16 PM Thread Starter

Hi Greg,
Thank you so much for the advice. Its great to have a community that will help each other out. I look forward to everyone's help
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 9:22 PM
Jeff

Congratulations on your new project. Another tip is to bag and tag anything you take apart,, it will make it a lot. Easier to reassemble. Take lots of pics from different angles. Don't rely on memory.lol good luck
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Congrats! That car has lots of the right parts - buckets, console, and an original Malibu steering wheel! Those are very hard to come by. Keep all of the old parts until you have replacements. And ask on here if you are looking for little pieces or used pieces... Lots of us have leftover resto parts. There are some unique pieces on a 68 that are not exactly like a 67 or a 69, again, ask and search on here, someone has probably asked before.
Engine plans? Got a pic of the trim tag? I see it has vinyl top trim. Putting a vinyl top back on? Colors?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 6:29 AM Thread Starter

As far as engine and transmission. The car has the original 250 turbo swift with the 2 speed powerglide. I plan on leaving it in the car. The car was driven until 2014. The engine runs (sort of) so I'm going to freshen it up. Fresh coat of paint and that's it. I was considering doing a clone. But with so many original parts and accessories, I don't believe it would do the car justice. The only changes would be interior and exterior color. I believe the original interior was the awful gold green. So not going with that. And my son wants to paint it Fathom Blue Pearl Metallic.
RAMBO likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 8:13 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I think I would put the 250 and PG in a bag (if you want to keep original parts) in storage and put in a 327-350 engine and a turbo 350 transmission. Both these can be relatively inexpensive items (also given the amount of work you are about to embark on) and make the car much more of a pleasure to drive.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 9:38 AM Thread Starter

I do have a 350 bolt in the garage. All disassembled. And I have a 32 spline main shaft and tail housing for a muncie 4 speed. But no cluster gears or main housing. But I would keep the car automatic. Anyone need a 32 spline muncie tail?
RAMBO likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 4:39 PM
Tech Team
Gavin

Quote:
As far as engine and transmission. The car has the original 250 turbo swift with the 2 speed powerglide. I plan on leaving it in the car. The car was driven until 2014. The engine runs (sort of) so I'm going to freshen it up. Fresh coat of paint and that's it. I was considering doing a clone. But with so many original parts and accessories, I don't believe it would do the car justice. The only changes would be interior and exterior color. I believe the original interior was the awful gold green. So not going with that. And my son wants to paint it Fathom Blue Pearl Metallic.
I have the awful gold green interior in my Ď68. Itís actually grown on me because itís unique. It also matches well with the Butternut Yellow my car is wearing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B0C706CB-9106-4372-9723-E7F1C0EDD792.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	603740   Click image for larger version

Name:	D7CEFBE3-FBD8-4D06-8ACF-675F3F886660.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	603742  

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 6:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

A couple of tips i can give you are, 1. don't throw anything away just because you bought a replacement. 2. When you bag and tag parts, ziplock bags with a note on paper listing what is in the bag, quantity of fasteners and where the part was removed from. Sharpie ink wears off, that why i used paper notes. 3. You can't take enough pictures, as others have said, they will become a great resource during reassembly. Good luck, and enjoy the project with your son. Terry
RAMBO and davewho1 like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 19, 7:03 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The best part is the "Father-Son" project
red68chevL likes this.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
...I believe the original interior was the awful gold green. So not going with that.
hahahahahaha!!! I was gonna see if you were interested in my take off ivy gold bucket and rear seat covers until I saw that comment. LOL

I made the mistake of buying all new stuff in that color (it was original to my car too), then after 2 years of never liking it- this past spring took it all back off and changed everything to black. Much happier with the black now.

Looks like a fun project!

Ben R.

-

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 19, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

We finally got it home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190921_113829_1569080459102.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	6.51 MB
ID:	603856  
Ghaasl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in