Now is the Time! - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Capt Casey

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 2:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Smile Now is the Time!

Like another 68 enthusiast here it is now time for me to begin again and start where I left off restoring and correcting things on my 68!
I have owned the car since 1982 and got it from the original owners.
It was beat by the standards of the time.... when you could still get an original 6p Z28 4 speed car from less than 12k!
Not for me!

So I got this car and drove it until I was on one of the gulf Islands and played chicken with a Dump truck! He won...

My friend and I were heading for the last ferry to Vancouver and were moving pretty fast on a winding road when we slowed to make the sharp turn to the left when I saw headlights and a grill coming at me. He pushed my friend and I off the side of the road where it narrowed on the bend.
We slid down the embankment about 25 feet or so and we stopped. We got out to see the driver of the truck coming down to see if we were alright.
Turns out the driver of the truck was a cousin of my buddy!
He put a chain on us and pulled us out. I tried to turn it over and she started right up!
The drivers window wouldn't go up and down but it didn't break. We were fine and well the truck suffered nothing in the way of damage LOL!

We took off and made the ferry...only after the only cop on the Island came and gave me a ticket for not yielding and driving down the centre of a highway...
I went back and fought the charge and won! Noting the police car when it arrived had to drive down the centre of the highway because it was that narrow you had to!
I had my camera with me to take pics of the work we did on the car and so snapped one of the police car when it arrived!
The judge thought I was quite cheeky representing my self and showing the picture as evidence.
When the officer was questioned he was quite red faced and all charges were dropped and The road was ordered widened after that.
Perry mason would have been proud!
Oh by the way the cousin driving the dump truck... he got the contract to widen the road! Sort of a win win for all of us!

Except for my car

Note the holes I put in the door so I could pry the door panel out and roll the window up and down.
This is truly a Tank!
If I was in a newer car today and that happened, well we all know the outcome of that!
The car ran fine sort of but got me very odd looks every time I went to fill up as the holes looked like those from a shotgun... yes the local city cops pulled me over many times asking....why and so forth.
Time cam to pull it off the road.
However life happens and work changes. moving houses and different jobs the military and all those things combined made it difficult to work on it.

cars have come and gone for me but I kept this one under the radar.
I bought parts and stashed them away. every cheque I got I took some and bought what I could!
I went to my friend at the local GM dealer Wolfe Chev Olds and bought two brand new quarters still in the crates with the GM tags on them!
Next two new Fenders same thing new in the crates! well large cardboard boxes!

I look at the receipts and laugh at the cost compared to now!

After several moves and different people in my life. I married and we managed to get our own home and the car came to rest here where we live now.

On the trailer and as she sat till the frame came off foe the second time. You can see the difference in colours! The firewall being the original Grecian green and the respray from a Ford colour.
The previous owner worked for Ford.

The frame was stripped and all the parts that could be were powder coated and new bushings springs shocks etc were replaced and a disc brake conversion from a Camaro.

Then another break. The military took priority on this and in 2008 I had to take some time away from my work on the car and put my priorities elsewhere for a while.

Last bit of work I did on the car before this year was the bit of rot in floor. I replaced the rib floor support and cut the patches to fit and replaced where a body pad goes or not...
Hopefully with the assistance of me Nephew Kyle we will weld the patches in this long weekend!
Those are the patches.... and the Power seat brackets. I have yet to figure out if they the brackets are the correct ones for my power seat assembly...
I know I can count on the different persons here and the years of expertise that come with the Chevelle team!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle 1983.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	602094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle 1983 after accident.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	602098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_Stock GM Quarters and Fenders (1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	602100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_Stock GM Quarters and Fenders (2).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	602102  

Name:	2 Pass side showing rear quarter rust.jpg
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	602104   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	602106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_200915.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	602108   Click image for larger version

Name:	On all four wheels 20-06-08 001.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	602110  

Name:	DSCN1668.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	602112   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1266.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	602114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2953.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	602116   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190831_091901.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	602118  

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 11:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: Now is the Time!

Welcome Casey. Are you going back original Grecia Green? I noticed the body color firewall and was going to ask if it's Canadian.... Until I realized as I was reading that you live in Canada, so now that seems obvious. Can't wait to see to your progress.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 1:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

welcome to the site;
i think i have own'd my 68 since 1982 also

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Now is the Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Welcome Casey. Are you going back original Grecia Green? I noticed the body color firewall and was going to ask if it's Canadian.... Until I realized as I was reading that you live in Canada, so now that seems obvious. Can't wait to see to your progress.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Hi Scott yes up here in the Great White North sweating LOL!
Thanks for the kind words and I really am looking forward to getting things done and making up for some lost time.

Yes I am going back to the original colour of the car, same as the firewall, and the white Vinyl top and parchment interior.
Once I get the welding done on the floors and seat brackets figured out I can start making some holes for power windows and floor shift console.
It was a bench seat 2 peed column shift Auto car.

We'll see how today goes. temperature is a nice 26C so Hot LOL and I am loaded with caffeine and ready to weld!

I have seen you posts on here as well and look forward to seeing how you make out with your car project as well!

Thank you again Scott

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
welcome to the site;
i think i have own'd my 68 since 1982 also

Hi Vince

Thank you for your interest and it's a long time to own something when you think of things in todays terms...
Cars were never meant to stay in one place with one person for this long.
At least the manufacturers didn't think they would.

There's a little hoarder in all of us... Thankfully!

I'll have to look and see if you posted any pics of your car. Love to see it!

Casey

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 8:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
Hi Vince

Thank you for your interest and it's a long time to own something when you think of things in todays terms...
Cars were never meant to stay in one place with one person for this long.
At least the manufacturers didn't think they would.

There's a little hoarder in all of us... Thankfully!

I'll have to look and see if you posted any pics of your car. Love to see it!

Casey
there are a few photos posted;
car has been thru many changes;
engines; colors; gears; transmissions;
kansas car sold in Cal.; i got it in southern AZ. very minor rust in front fender

currently rocking with some patina

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 2:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Smile Re: Now is the Time!

Just a quick update as I try to move along with the front end and body welding.
I did take the windshield out to see the rust damage and it is quite worse than originally thought.
I see the two parts of the dash and see the points where to dash and the cowl are spot welded um were spot welded LOL
Looks like a lot of repair to do so looking at a few options here. Go with a patch panel for the dash to cowl area although it looks like it may not be wide enough.
Total new dash and weld in new metal then a new cowl top panel and possibly cut the portion I need and weld to existing cowl so I am not removing the original Paint and interior code tag and drilling all those solid spot welds.

If anyone has done a patch for this and see's the picture it would sure help if they know whether the patch panel for the dash will have enough metal to fill that canyon of a hole?
It may be too thin to weld to also so... decisions decisions right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190911_175302.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	603166   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190911_175903.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	603168  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 19, 9:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

So after a lot of drilling out the spot welds and removing only the top part of the dash. I can see the rust in full bloom. It looks worse than it is on the inside.
I am going to cut the top of the cowl vent panel in 4 places across the car. I figure 4 short strong welds on good metal are better than taking the whole old panel off and drilling out more of those welds and then drilling more holes in the new panel and re welding it.
So I will cut the new panel down to fit the area removed.
I did the same for the dash by removing the top of the dash only and leaving the front panel where the glove box door goes etc.
With no AC I can do the same when that full dash panel comes in and use the top only thus welding only where people will not see and preserving the front of the original dash.
I am alright with welding but not the best when it comes to welding where it's going to be seen and cosmetic.
This should be easier than making a bunch of patches for the most part too.

I know it sounds like a lot of work and some may say just take the whole part out.
I know....but these are the patch panels they should be making so we have options.
Like the dash. before welding them together stop and make some like that and weld the top to your own!
Yes it's going to be tough to take the new dash panel apart but easier to drill the spot welds out while the part is out of the car than in it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190915_192444.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	603632   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_195543.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	603634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_200717.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	603636   Click image for larger version

Name:	CH30741-lrg - Copy.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	603638  

Name:	20190915_200717 - Copy.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	603640  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in