69 Malibu 250 Build - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Re: 69 Malibu 250 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
OK so where does the new 65”tv go, in the house or the garage?
LOL, that's in my other play area. I actually bought it during Hurricane Harvey since I was trapped in the house for a week and I only had 1 TV. A man can only take so much Frozen and Moana.
Pioneer4x4 and f6john like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 6:38 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

That is a pretty nice looking '69 as it sits!

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 8:01 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBorn View Post
LOL, that's in my other play area. I actually bought it during Hurricane Harvey since I was trapped in the house for a week and I only had 1 TV. A man can only take so much Frozen and Moana.
I can relate, I have 2year old twin grandsons.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 18, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Still plugging away on the brakes and suspension here. Between work and family I don't get to spend a ton of time in the garage, which I'm sure most of you can relate to. I had originally thought it would take about a month to get all these parts installed. I may still hit that goal, but there are a couple snags here recently. The disc brake kit I bought came with two passenger dust shields for the front, so that area is on hold until the replacement parts show up later this week. Since I had some time tonight I decided to go ahead and mount the booster and new master cylinder. Holy hell is that a tight fit, how did I never read anybody mention that the bolts are inaccessible without pulling the fender liner. Anyway, since the liner needs to come out and is pretty well worn I may as well replace it with a new one. I haven't taken it out yet, but it doesn't look like its going to just pop out. I'll read up on that process and tackle it over the weekend.

I also decided to replace the steering linkage since the tie rods took a bit of a beating when I was taking it all apart. The proforged kit I bought was very nice and everything bolted right back up without any drama. Here are a couple pics to show the latest progress.

kermitsass likes this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 18, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

I guess its been a little while since I updated this. I have been running into lots of issues with the rear brake kit that keep slowing me down (poor fit, wheel studs too short, bent hub, wrong parts, broke a bolt in the housing, etc). My current predicament is that the rear wheels are not going to fit with the disc brakes. At this point I'm frustrated enough that I'm tempted to just put the drum back on and call it a day. On the other hand, I've done so much work to this point that I don't want to give up on the (hopefully) last hurdle.

I figure I have a few option on the wheels. The tires are basically new so I would like to reuse them if possible, but American Racing doesn't make the same wheel in the correct offset. I currently have 15" VN309s which while similar to all the other torq thrust type wheels are somewhat different. Since the tires and wheels are very new I could sell them as a package and go ahead and move up to the 18s I would eventually buy, or I was thinking of remounting the tires on a set of Cragar Soft 8s for the time being and sell the torq thrusts.

I need to make up my mind soon because the only real step I have left is to connect the rear caliper lines then fill and bleed.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 18, 4:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Looking good. Keep trucking along. I have run into small issues on mine as well. Example, tie rod sleeve adjusters not threaded completely and powder coating on the thread. Had to go buy a 9/16-18 UNF-LH tap and die to get things to fit. Harolds Machine had the right hand thread tap and die, so I got half of it done. And...fastener kit for the rear brakes shorted me a few key flat head screws. Local Ace had them.

Keep on keeping on.

Eric Christie

1965 El Camino - Undergoing frame off resto,
(2011-
1970 SS 496 - Cortez Silver, black stripes, black int, forged bottom end, ported 781s, Eddy Air Gap, ProSystem carb, Lunati cam & rockers, Sanderson headers, Vintage Air Front runner, Century Transmission - 200R4, 12 bolt, 3.42s
1993 Formula - Racer Red, 355 LT1, 6 spd, ported heads, Eddy headers, CAIK, Comp cam, 1.6 roller rockers, Borla, Hotchkis, BMR, ROH, GY F1
2005 Tahoe - 20" wheels, cat back, programmer, CAIK, HIDs
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 18, 2:38 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Since this thread is meant to be a diary of build as much as it is a reference I need to take this opportunity to vent a little bit about some of the problems I've run into. I'm not hear to vendor bash so I've made sure there are no references of the company name in this thread. At the same time, I would hate for someone to make the same mistakes I have so you can always message me if you need to know more.

This phase of my project involved products from two different companies. One of them (UMI) really puts out a damn good product that I am more than happy with. The other company I used offers disc and power brake conversions that could be great but fall far short of that. Here is a quick rundown of all the problems I have had whether they are mu fault or not.

1. I ordered a chrome booster and MC. the chrome was applied over scratches and machine marks. A pretty minor offense but in hindsight was pretty revealing
2. I also ordered new brake lines for the entire system. they fit pretty poorly and some of the lines needed lots of adjustment. After I got the whole system together one of the rear lines was leaking from a bad flare and had to be replaced. I should have paid more attention and caught that.
3. The rear rotors did not fit correctly because there was a small lip from the axle's brake register and hub face. Stuff like this is expected when dealing with a kit that covers several makes and models, but a note of what the measurements need to be would have been nice.
4. The factory wheels studs were too short and had to be replaced. Again, if there was some kind of note about this I would have been prepared for it.
5. I was originally shipped two passenger dust shields for the front. the company fixed it, but that was another 3 day delay
6. the rear caliper pins were riding on the rotors. I had to oval out the bracket holes a little bit
7. one of the front calipers was faulty in that it wouldn't bleed. I'm not positive on what caused it, but it was definitely the caliper that was faulty.
8. the chrome master cylinder leaks under pressure

I think thats about it. I hope this will serve as a checklist for someone that may be considering a drum to disc conversion.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 18, 6:59 AM
Tech Team

Advice.
Throw nothing away!
Especially little pieces of paper with codes on them that you may or may not find in the car stuck in the seats when you remove the interior.
This is your first classic car and it only has 45k on it. Straight six or not, all original might mean a lot to you in the years to come. You have a very nice palette with which to work. Personally, I would have started differently but that's me and your you. Your in Texas, I'm in Ohio. Huge difference!
For starters, if I were putting in a stout drivetrain as you are, I would have had a twelve bolt on the stand already, building it outside the vehicle, but as I said that's me.
Those wheels ( torque thrusts??) look pretty good on the car with the gold.
Oh, if your replacing your bushing as you move along, don't fully torque anything down until the work is done and the car is on all fours.
Have fun.
HoustonBorn likes this.

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." -Patrick Henry
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 18, 9:27 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Hey Lou thanks for checking it out. My wife doesn't know it, but I am keeping athe old parts. the suspension and brakes stuff is 4 large boxes already.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 18, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

HB I also bought a 4 whl disc kit with drilled & slotted rotors and was sent 3 of the same direction rotors twice!, leaky MC and bad/no tech response and still have my hair on my head lol, real nice 69 you have and I also installed the same proforged steering kit with a UMI sway bar, real good parts, don't give up on the rear disc's modern brakes are great oh they sent the wrong Pvalve also, probably the same vendor that you used lol, sorry to read about the jerk lying to you about the engine but you'll have a very nice chevelle that you can be proud of when your out driving her

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 699 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.