69 Malibu 250 Build - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 2:47 PM
Tech Team
John

Re: 69 Malibu 250 Build

How about that front suspension? Have you nailed down the plan for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 18, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6john View Post
How about that front suspension? Have you nailed down the plan for that?
The suspension is going to be either a UMI stage 3 set up or something similar from SC&C. I want to check out a few more cars in person though before I decide how much low I want.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
With ya on the ls appearance thing. The plastic intakes are actually real good but my god that whole engine...coils brackets etc are godawful ugly I dont care howmuch chrome one throws at it

I bet that carbed 376 could look decent!

Sure wish I could find a reasonable 6.0 that would work with my 02 1500/4l60e. Guys want a fortune for a worn out piece with 200k. THey are nice but not gold plated
cuisinartvette,
Keep an eye on facebook and facebook sales groups. I saw one locally here in SW Houston that was complete for $200. The guy said it wasn't running. There are some deals out there. Pick a part places are also good sources. If the recycler can save the cost to pull it, then they sell them cheaper.

My $0.02.

Eric Christie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 El Camino - Undergoing frame off resto,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(2011-
1970 SS 496 - Cortez Silver, black stripes, black int, forged bottom end, ported 781s, Eddy Air Gap, ProSystem carb, Lunati cam & rockers, Sanderson headers, Vintage Air Front runner, Century Transmission - 200R4, 12 bolt, 3.42s
1993 Formula - Racer Red, 355 LT1, 6 spd, ported heads, Eddy headers, CAIK, Comp cam, 1.6 roller rockers, Borla, Hotchkis, BMR, ROH, GY F1
2005 Tahoe - 20" wheels, cat back, programmer, CAIK, HIDs

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBorn View Post
Haha. Thanks Eric. Those are the exact two shops I called. Both very friendly, but both have a bit of a long line. Harold's would be great since he's about 2 minutes from my house so I may just work on some other stuff while I wait for him to be ready. There's no shortage of work to be done, I'm just anxious to get something in there and running.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Interesting. My first choice would still be Jeff. He's done a lot of work for me, but I was never in a rush. Harold has only done small jobs for me. Polished a crank, cleaned heads and removed a broken exhaust bolt, and a few other machine related projects.

Keep plugging along.

Eric Christie

(2011-
1970 SS 496 - Cortez Silver, black stripes, black int, forged bottom end, ported 781s, Eddy Air Gap, ProSystem carb, Lunati cam & rockers, Sanderson headers, Vintage Air Front runner, Century Transmission - 200R4, 12 bolt, 3.42s
1993 Formula - Racer Red, 355 LT1, 6 spd, ported heads, Eddy headers, CAIK, Comp cam, 1.6 roller rockers, Borla, Hotchkis, BMR, ROH, GY F1
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
Sorry to hear the motor turned out to be crap. Can you let me know what the part number is for replacing the interior rear window molding? I see yours is off, not sure if you have the original laying around. When I had my car repainted 14 years ago the rear package tray had to be replaced. The guy liked chevelles and did it for $200 bucks. I still donít have the molding though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure I know which part you are looking for. The only thing I removed was the two little corner pieces.

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 18, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBorn View Post
Not sure I know which part you are looking for. The only thing I removed was the two little corner pieces.

Hmm I do have those. Maybe there isnít any molding for that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

I decided to go ahead and get the UMI kit so I was waiting on the parts to arrive so I could knock out that and the brakes at the same time. Brakes are going to be 4 wheel disc with a booster, running all new lines while Iím at it.

Initially I was a little bummed because the suspension wasnít supposed to be here until Monday which meant I wouldnít be able to do anything over the weekend. Well, Saturday afternoon I came home to 4 beautiful UMI boxes, I was pretty stoked! I spent most of my available time on Saturday inventorying all my parts and getting the garage organized. I didnít have a lot of time to work today, but I got the car on stands and started tackling the front suspension. Right now Iím ready to pull the lower control arms and start getting new stuff on there. But itís late and I need to use the impact which is a no-no after bedtime. I think Iím going to play hooky tomorrow and see how much I can knock out. I can already see that the brake lines are going to take me a little while.

I did make one mistake already. After talking with echristie i was going to do before and after measurements to see how much drop I actually see with the 1Ē springs. Well, I made a spot in my notes for the measurements but then got a little excited and completely forgot. Oh well. Iíd did get a good side shot right before I started so hopefully Iíll be able to see the difference.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 11:03 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Keep up the good work!. Remember we all love pictures.

69 Chevelle Conv 396
69 Chevelle Hardtop
69 Dodge Charger Rt
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

As requested Ill catch up on some photos here. I got a bit sidetracked today when I broke my 3/4 socket which is used on about half the bolts in the front suspension. Wasn't the tool's fault though, I was using a chrome socket on my electric impact. I tried using wrenches which was a waste of time so one new socket later and everything zipped off real quick like. As of right now I have the front dissembled and nearly ready for the new parts. I decided to put some POR on the frame around the control arms since I wont be able to reach it after. I plan on doing the rest of the frame when I pull the motor and replace the body mounts.

As promised, here are some pics of the last couple days.

This is my before shot of the cars stance. We will see where it is after the new parts and few days to settle.

All my new suspension goodies.

And some progress pics. The new springs are 530 lb/in which feels like its about 525 lb/in more than the stockers, lol. I"m curious to see what the difference will be once I'm done.

RAMBO likes this.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Well this is odd. I wanted to get some of the suspension pieces mocked up to make sure all the parts are fitting properly. The driver's side lower was a real SOB to get in there but I managed to get it lined up eventually. I went ahead and loosely fitted the upper arm as well as the spindle. Nothing is torqued down and the spring is not in there, but the spindle is noticeably crooked. I did test fit the passenger lower arm as well and it slid in with no trouble so I'm wondering if I have either an arm that out of whack or a frame that is. Any thoughts from the followers?

Tomorrow night I'll do the same for the passenger side and see if its at the same angle. For now here's a pic of what I'm talking about. I know its difficult to gauge level since the car is on stands, but you can see the ball joint angles a little bit.

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 2:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

I might be wrong, but that is the extra built in caster you are seeing, which is a good thing.

Normally to increase caster, you would stack shims on the rear cross shaft bolt which would tilt the arm to the rear creating a little bit of rearward lean in the spindle.
Good aftermarket upper control arms have it built into their design- which would account for the rearward lean of the spindle.

I "think" anyway...

Ben R.

-

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 7:22 AM
Tech Team

Garage

looks like a nice solid platform to start with.

post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 11:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
I might be wrong, but that is the extra built in caster you are seeing, which is a good thing.

Normally to increase caster, you would stack shims on the rear cross shaft bolt which would tilt the arm to the rear creating a little bit of rearward lean in the spindle.
Good aftermarket upper control arms have it built into their design- which would account for the rearward lean of the spindle.

I "think" anyway...
Ben,
I think you are on the right track. I am doing a similar build as J-man here on my 70, just using different parts . Anyway, when I got the upper arm off, I had about 3/8"-1/2" stack of shims in the back mount and about 1/16"-1/8" in the front on both sides. That would be consistent with your comment.

I will post up some pics of mine. I only took a few before shots and did the same thing as J-man. I forgot to take before measurements. Oh well.....

Eric Christie

(2011-
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

The caster thing makes sense, just seems like a lot. And since I had so much trouble getting that arm in there I was a little more alert to possible problems. I think the passenger side will give me a good idea of what normal looks like since that arm slides in and out perfectly.

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 18, 2:30 PM
Tech Team
John

OK so where does the new 65Ētv go, in the house or the garage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 703 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.