My '66 SS L78 rebuild - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 18, 3:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
My '66 SS L78 rebuild

Well,

Figured I'd start a new thread on my project, rather than revive an old thread since I really haven't made any progress...

I recently sold my El Camino, and decided to focus on getting my '66 up and running...

Some background info:

I bought this car in January 1985, as a senior in high school. The ad in the local newspaper actually read "1966 SF Chevelle..."

I was very green when it came to cars, but had a nice '66 Malibu (factory bucket seat/console powerglide car) that had been in a wreck ( not my fault).

All I knew was this "SS" had a 4-speed, Hurst shifter, a 12-bolt posi rearend, in-dash gauges and that cool SS hood... All the trim and emblems had been removed, and a "custom" paint job had been added... Not some cool 70's paint job, but a simple White with Copper Gold along the rockers and the scoops were painted Copper also... But there was primer, and some paint peeling... Interior was gutted. No back seat, no heater or controls (replaced by a toggle switch panel), no radio and Autometer gauges hanging under the dash (actually, they where hanging down to the floor)... Factory bucket seat/console car, but seats and console were gone, trunk-mount battery had caused a fire that burned the back seat. In their place was a lone fiberglass racing seat... It also had 14" generic "Torque Thrust" wheels. the car also had a generic small block with headers.

I had no idea about "138", and I knew it was supposed to be a 396, but it was in my price range...

Test drive went okay, and we bought the car (I was 17, so technically, my Mom bought the car).

On the trip home I was lamenting the dismal performance... Not sure what gears were in it, but I had to slip the clutch to get moving, and never got out of 2nd gear (35 MPH max speed limit on the way home). About 2 miles from home, I stopped at a redlight... I was fiddling with the shifter, and as I wiggled it, it popped over a bit... I put it in first, and revved it to slip the clutch to get rolling, and the car took off like a rocket! It turned out that the shifter needed adjustment, and I had been starting in third gear all along... Factory 3.73 gears in the rearend...

First thing I did was to adjust the Hurst shifter, followed by swapping the reupholstrered buckets ( and original rear seat) out of my Malibu... I drove the car for about 10 months, until it "broke a ring" and started burning a LOT of oil... So I parked it and started building another engine... I also had repaired my Malibu (and added front and rear seats from a 69 GTO)...

And then life began and the car was always pushed back by some other project ('66 Chevelle convertible, several 66 396 El Caminos, several moves, college, marriage, home ownership, my '70 Chevelle and numerous other projects... And it just sat patiently awaiting its turn...

Now is that time...

Clint44, Steve R, 71350SS and 5 others like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 18, 3:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: My '66 SS L78 rebuild

Needless to say, I could talk for hours on end about the car...

My Dad was a car guy, primarily Chevy, and it also influenced my mom. Although my dad passed away before I had even bought this car (1982), he had many friends that were also "car guys"... Some of his Corvette buddies checked out the car and some of the parts and paperwork we found in the trunk... Much was deteriorated, but they deciphered that the car was originally an L78, and based on remnants of the window sticker, they said it was an M22... None of these guys, nor myself realized that it was a pretty rare car, but it was an ex-racecar with the only original pieces left being the knee-knocker tach, and the 3.73 posi 12-bolt, and a few boxes of engine parts in the trunk (including most of the deep groove pulleys including the idler assembly) . It had been ridden hard and put away wet.

Over the years, I had the car and parts stored at my mother's house while I attended college. While I helped pack a bit, my mother made several long-distance moves while I was away. I ended up losing lots of stuff (old school papers, some pictures of my other cars, and most of the documents/receipts for the car... As I get older, I began to stress about the lost paperwork, but it ended up not being a huge deal for me, as I don't intend to sell, and its mostly non-matching numbers anyway.

Plans changed numerous times, from just a nice street machine, to a 100% correct resto (with a correct dated L78 EG motor and trans), to a mild pro-touring setup (still a big block) and now finally to a semi-stock resto...

As I get older, I was finding some money here and there to spend on the car, but time was really lacking. With a wife and 2 kids (whom I help coach soccer and basketball for them), I was really lacking time. Now that my kids are a bit older, I am still coaching, but I find I have more free time... Although with college looming ( my kids are currently an 8th grader and a High School Sophomore), my money may be drying up...

So the push is on to get the car safe and drivable... I'll worry about cosmetics later.

I bought a used 396 back in 2006, and finally fired it up in 2015... But it has again been sitting since...

RAMBO, shovelrick, Thor454 and 1 others like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 18, 3:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

So the parts gathering has almost been completed, with just a few more major items to purchase in order to be safe and driveable.

The goal is a mostly-stock looking car, but with a few upgrades for driveability...

The front suspension will be all stock with the exception of a new quick-ratio manual steering box... As I age, I may decide to go with power steering in the future. The car will also feature manual disc brakes up front (69-72 Chevelle discs). The engine should have most of the L78-specific pieces on it, including the rare idler pulley assembly and deep groove pulleys. It also has the correct "069" aluminum intake and 3613 Holley carb (factory 1966 L78-specific, 770 cfm). The car will also utilize a cowl plenum air cleaner radio block off and heater delete assemblies... While the car was originally a bucket seat/console car, the car will be restored with the buckets, but no console... factory gauges, knee-knocker tach and dash-top clock will round out the accessories... The look is for a "factory racecar" style... The car also features 15" steel wheels with redline tires (radials, with Nitto drag radials for the rear). The rearend was rebuilt using a 3.42 ratio, and while the Muncie uses a Hurst shifter, it will feature a stock handle and ball.

I currently have all the brake/suspension/steering/wiring brand new, along with brake and fuel lines, gas tank, new axles, body bushings, etc...

I hope to start documenting the tear down in the next few weeks...
Clint44, glend123, Thor454 and 1 others like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 18, 7:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
James

Best of luck with the build! Sounds like a blast. Cool story too.... funny how life stuff will put things like this on hold, but when the time is right, youíve got to go for it!

Iím married and I have 2 little girls 3 years and 15 months, so itís not always easy to start a project in the garage. If itís small, then I can usually knock it out when everyone is napping or sleeping. If itís a big project, usually I will save up extra money so a shop can do the labor.

Nittos are the proffered tires on my Chevelle with the same gear ratio. I like the idea of OEM+ build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thor454 likes this.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 18, 10:27 AM
Tech Team
Kurt

Tony..... Take a lot of pics as you go along..... Great to go back and look at the progress....
I spent all day in the paint booth Monday video-ing the painting of my '66 SS ....

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
402 BBC
Holley Sniper EFI
Long tube headers
Tremec TKO 600
CPP 13/12 4 wheel disc brakes
Truetrac 3:73 Posi
Classic a/c
Dakota VHX gages
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 18, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Sounds like a plan Tony. Nice to see you finally getting the time to start this. My 66 has the 65 L78 out of an impala most likely. It's been dumbed down a bit to be able to run on pump gas but still roars to life when asked. I have to say I love keeping the car the way it was made, mostly. Personally for me, it's the best looking car from my 60's high school days. Keep us posted on your progress.
Boyd

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 18, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Good plan, Tony. Suspension and brakes are smart upgrades as they are not all that visible and make for a safer ride. I had a '66 L78 back in the early 70's and the stock suspension, steering and brakes were downright dangerous.

Have fun with your project and keep us posted on your progress.
Thor454 likes this.
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 1:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I figured we all like pictures... I know I do...

I just finished rebuilding the #3613 carb. service dated, and I didn't bother to spend money on recoloring, etc...

The engine as it currently sits

L78 idler pulleys

Cowl Plenum air cleaner... I'll have to cut the firewall, in the next few weeks... A little nervous about that...

Heater Delete panels... radio Block-off and gauges in boxes on a shelf...

My personalized License plates that will be painted Black & Yellow ... I do have "1966-correct" Black Plates I thought of adding, but its the same cost...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2218.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	512282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2221.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	512290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	512298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2225.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	512306  

Name:	IMG_2232.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	512314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2234.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	512322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	512330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2226.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	512338  

RAMBO, 71350SS and Saltherring like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 1:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Original L78 tach and dash-top clock

Steering box and brake parts (this is only about 1/3 of the brake and steering components)...

Interior needs some work. Its gutted. Shifter hole notched for Hurst shifter clearance, but otherwise very nice floors... California car all its life, although it originally came out of Pacifica, next to the ocean......

Close up of the "New" steering box... Lare's #1276, which is really a #11276. 16:1 quick ratio... It doesn't have the Saginaw casting "S" and the top cap looks aluminum instead of cast (no "CHECK LUBE" casting on top cover either). But it was $157 from Rock Auto ($232 total with a $75 refundable core), and another $16 for the new rag-joint. I was a little disappointed, as I really wanted the correct box... I call Lare's directly (it was drop shipped from them), and was told they have no cores, so if I wanted the "correct" box, I needed to send in my box for a rebuild... $275 direct or $157 from RockAuto... Hmmm...

then a few friends asked if it was "Matching Numbers" resto (which they knew it was not),,, point noted, only the judges will notice... So I'll keep this new box and probably spray the cover with "Cast Iron" paint... I have 6 months to find a core or send in mine...

As I am getting older, I am not as strong as I used to be, so I may eventually switch to power steering...

Have the correct '66 Chevelle bucket seats, but need foam and upholstery... The '69 GTO seat was just for driveability (I have the matching seat in storage). back seat has so seems pulling at the top... Not really salvageable, but I'll probably keep it for a while...

In the next week or two, I plan on installing the carb and fitting the air cleaner... verifying hood clearance and then working on the firewall cut/mount... Once that's done, I will move on to disassembling the front sheet metal and removing the engine... then on to cleaning/sanding the interior and getting the body mount bushings ready to be removed (PB Blaster, etc)...

Some may note the "300 deluxe" front fenders. the originals were beat, and had some rust at the lower corner, so they were swapped with these (about 25+ years ago). Without the rocker moldings of the Malibu or SuperSport, the 300/300Deluxe fenders seem to get less rust at the lower rear...

Floors are nice. there is some pitting in the trunk, but its structurally solid. Its confined mostly to one side, where a previous owner had a trunk-mounted battery. They also drilled a few 3/8"mounting holes for the battery, and there is a large (#00) battery ground cable attached to the frame below the trunk...

I figure I'll hit the trunk with a grinder, maybe a sand blaster, but I am not going to replace the trunk pan... Maybe a patch where the battery is, but that's about it...

Its a driver...

Got some plans drawn for a wood body cart, and bought some 5" casters. the cart design should allow the rolling chassis to be rolled and stored beneath the body... I was debating the need, but for storage purposes (due to the area configuration), I really will need to roll the body back out of the way to have ample work space to work on the frame...

Next big dilemma is paint or powder coat the frame... Painting is much less expensive since I'd do it myself... But its also more time-consuming and I'd need to wait for nice weather (warm enough to paint)... With the powdercoating, I can have the frame picked up and delivered for a reasonable fee, and they will clean and blast it too...

I am leaning toward the Powdercoating, if anything because of the time savings... And while its out I can focus on other areas...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2230.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	512346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	512354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	512362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	512370  

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	512378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2220.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	512386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	512394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	512402  

Steve R, RAMBO and Saltherring like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 2:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

Tony,

So glad this is finally happening. I remember about 10 years ago you were talking about selling it & I inquired via PM about it. I knew you wouldn't let it go then!

Love the plan for the car. The only thing I would do different is leave the dash clock off. Was never a fan of those clocks, & it seems out of place on a "racecar" themed car.

Also, while you have the car in this state, just install the power steering now. No reason to put off the inevitable. You'll be so much happier.
Steve R, RAMBO and boyd66k20 like this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 3:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
...The only thing I would do different is leave the dash clock off. Was never a fan of those clocks, & it seems out of place on a "racecar" themed car.

Also, while you have the car in this state, just install the power steering now. No reason to put off the inevitable. You'll be so much happier.

Yeah, but "factory built" racecar, not just a racecar... All 1966 SuperSports came "standard" with a clock... When gauges were ordered, the clock was moved, either to the console(if equipped) or to the top of the dash... Since there is no console, the correct "standard" clock should be on the dash... I wasn't going to bother with the clock, because they were expensive and difficult to find, but I picked up a nice clock for a great deal a few years ago...

Power steering, I am going to hold off... To be happy, the "correct" brackets and deep-groove-specific pulleys for power steering are pretty expensive (beyond the already expensive ordinary 396 '66 power steering setup)...

Growing up, it seemed like all the performance cars were manual steering, just like they were all 4-speeds...

I will however, probably begin gather parts for an eventual swap to power steering, as I get older...

I recently sold my '67 El Camino, 396 with manual steering... It wasn't too bad, except parking... And it had wider tires than the 66 will have.
71350SS and Saltherring like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 3:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

Great... Keep the posts coming!!
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 4:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I haven't noticed whether you said you have a 4-bolt block. I just sold a set of '66 858 heads a couple of months ago. A correct block and heads are going to be hard to find. Keep posting, as I am really enjoying your project.
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 18, 7:12 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Awesome man! Enjoy!

Freddy
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 18, 2:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
I haven't noticed whether you said you have a 4-bolt block. I just sold a set of '66 858 heads a couple of months ago. A correct block and heads are going to be hard to find. Keep posting, as I am really enjoying your project.
No, Current just running a 2-bolt block with oval port heads... The current engine has been bored to 427 standard bore ( 961 block with 702 heads, so probably no more boring... I picked it up used about 12+ years ago. It had the complete lifter valley ground smooth and there was some tag from Kenny Duttweiler (famous professional machine shop especially with the Buick Grand national V6's).

I did have a correct 4-bolt (962) block and 858 heads (complete long block) from an L78 a kid parted out in the early 90's... I had it for about 10 years, and then I was thinking "this thing will never be matching numbers anyway", and at the time, prices were pretty crazy, so I let it go... Kind of regret it, but kind of not...

I have a nice "std/std" steel crank and a couple of 454 short blocks, so I am thinking of building another "427"... Especially since I don't know the "real" condition of the current engine (only been started and idling for 15+ minutes)... I did have the pan and heads off years ago.

I am going to keep the compression ratio "pump gas friendly", as its a driver. And while the 858's would be cool, I am not worried about getting those either... I know the factory aluminum rectangle port intake works fine on the oval port heads...

I do have some "correct" things in mind that I like, such as early heads with no temp sender holes, but lately, even those ideas are fading away...

I figured, short of judging or selling, no one is going to be able to read the casting numbers anyway.
Saltherring likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in