My '66 SS L78 rebuild - Page 9 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 9:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: My '66 SS L78 rebuild

Yikes, I feel your pain. I stepped on a pile of hot ash several years ago, while on vacation. The bottom of my foot was one huge blister. That sucked!

As for your front springs, enlist the family or a few friends to sit on your frame. I put a couple of 2x4’s across the front frame horns and had my son and daughter sit on it, while stood on the cross member, whenI removed my upper control arms a few weeks ago. Worked like a charm.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 4:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Got the upper control arms on, BJs trying to get the lower control arms into the frame... not going, tried a jack with a block of wood but frame stared lifting off the jack stands

I got the new axle bearings and seals, and rear brake assemblies installed. Need to figure what lube for bearings seals and splines on the new shafts...

Maybe this evening I’ll get the rearend in position... maybe...

New steering box has some light surface rust. Debating if I should clear it, or paint (Eastwood’s Diamond Clear - satin) with “cast iron” paint...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C0BBBDA-C357-4FCD-B4FD-7E5ABB143FF4_1593463663405.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	631542  

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #123 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 2:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Well, more progress

I lubed the new seals and axle bearings, installed my Moser axles, added some Tom’s C-clips and his cross-shaft... added gear oil, GM limited slip additive, and a new cover and gasket...

I then rolled it over into position, installed the control arms and frame reinforcements. All mounting bolts are only finger tight. Since 6 of the 8 mounting positions used spherical bearings, I guess I can torque those now, as the will pivot internally.

Running Global West tubular lower arms (TCA4?) with spherical joints at the front frame positions and poly (?) at the rear end. Upper arms are Edelbrock adjustable arms with spherical bearings at the front (able to adjust pinion angle on the car), Edelbrock tubular frame reinforcements and Currie Johnny Joints in the upper housing ears.

Springs are Edelbrock/Eibach and the shocks are Edelbrock IAS. Springs and shocks are new in box, but 13-15 years old.

I have a “repro” rear sway bar that I will mount to the lower control arms ( yes, I know this isn’t the most effective design). The Global West arms have the holes for the “stock” rear bar.

Front will have a 1.25” bar and the Edelbrock / Eibach springs and shocks... but otherwise stock rebuild.

Quick ratio manual steering... I might have to switch back to the stock ratio and I am already considering adding power steering and plan to gather the correct parts... but I am getting ahead of myself...

Whew...

Anyway, it’s great to see progress.

Difficult tasks coming up; getting the lower front control arms into the frame pockets ( struggled with that today)., installing front springs ( need spring compressor ), install rear shocks ( need Macpherson Strut spring compressor?)... hoping that’s the only tough stuff coming up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD68CC36-35B5-4CA2-9AEB-92C4FD3573CA_1593498299762.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	631594   Click image for larger version

Name:	9262402B-A661-4844-9897-1024A500C111_1593498320788.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	631596  
Pete 67 and RAMBO like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #124 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 9:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Looks great, Tony. I made my own spring compressor with all-thread rod that goes through the shock mount hole on top, and a Snap-on retainer on the coil. A tool similar to the fork could be borrowed from auto parts store.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200630_061217567_1593523001358.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	631620  
68-13427 likes this.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #125 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 9:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Stock rear springs are really soft, not sure you'll need any special tools to attach the shocks. Or maybe you said somewhere along the way that you're using some special shocks?
68-13427 likes this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #126 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamino View Post
Looks great, Tony. I made my own spring compressor with all-thread rod that goes through the shock mount hole on top, and a Snap-on retainer on the coil. A tool similar to the fork could be borrowed from auto parts store.
is that the Corvair front cross-member?

The local stores have free rentals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia69
Stock rear springs are really soft, not sure you'll need any special tools to attach the shocks. Or maybe you said somewhere along the way that you're using some special shocks?
Running Edelbrock/Eibach springs; shorter, but stiffer than stock... I may try to get those installed in the next few days, but I realize last night that I still need to clean and coat the spring retainer plates...

I built my body cart so that I had nice lateral bracing and just enough clearance over the tires, but when I removed the rear shocks, the rear rose enough that it caused some interference issues... Nothing major, just an inconvenience...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #127 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Yes, that is the Corvair's front subframe in a fixture for mockup and measurements. I already had the all-thread in use to support the lower control arm, so I included the fork for the photo. Here is another photo to see the caster/camber measurements being made. The Corvair is being modified with Chevelle ball joints, spindles, and C5 brakes. Homemade tubular upper A-arms are the works too. There is more information on the V8 Vairs Facebook group if interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200614_130759309_HDR_1593539721970.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	631628  

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #128 of 131 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 9:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
A few better pictures on the rear ( the others were at night)...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4CD51C44-8229-413C-9DDF-6808582A7909_1593654892820.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	631768   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F449ECA-F483-4462-9EC5-E1B4596ABFDD_1593654917751.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	631770   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9F9EEF8-BAAC-4B8C-BD86-103BBAD479B5_1593654940934.jpeg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	631772   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA31AA99-1EBB-45F7-BD7F-E378B314EB64_1593654960482.jpeg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	631774  

Name:	DD419383-EA4D-4ACE-86C7-0AB4F732EA73_1593654981429.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	631776  
Pete 67, RAMBO and 68-13427 like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #129 of 131 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 1:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Well, with the help of my neighbor, I got the rear shocks installed. I needed to sit on the rear of the frame and bounce a little to allow the lower shock eye to slide onto the stud...

But now the springs and shocks are installed in the rear, I tightened all the upper control arm bolts, snugged the lower arms at the rearend (I'll torque to spec when its all back together on and on the ground... Still need to tighten the front mount bolts for the lower rear control arm...

I also got the front lower arms in place, but the bolts are still loose...

Today I drilled out the mount holes on the steering arms, as stock used 7/16" and the new setup uses 1/2 bolts... Tomorrow I will clean the steering arms, spindles, idler arm, steering box and tie rods, and give them some "cast iron gray" paint... The new Proforged tie-rods are already coated in black, so I am still debating leaving them black, or the gray... The adjuster sleeves are black (billet aluminum- Edelbrock?)...

My goal is to have it "rolling" by the end of the weekend... maybe... On the rear, I still need to grease the backing plates at the shoe pads (I forgot), and paint the new drums to protect from rust... Then I can bolt on the rear wheels...

DOH! Just my luck... I was working on the upper rear control arms, and so I put the jack under the rearend (toward the pinion yoke). I used some cardboard to protect the finish... After i was done, I noticed a grease spot on the cardboard, and another on the concrete... Right below the pinion seal!

Rear end has about 2000 miles on it (rebuilt around 1993), but hasn't been driven since about 2005... I guess the 15 years of sitting dried out the seal... 2 steps forward, one step back... Now I have to find my pinion yoke holder (3/4" iron pipe I drilled two holes and used longer Grade 8 bolts to hold the pinion. I thought it was this rearend, but it was another 12-bolt in my other Chevelle that I broke the pinion yoke and had to replace it...
Pete 67 likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #130 of 131 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 8:27 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Some very good progress Tony! Keep it up brother!!!

Freddy
post #131 of 131 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Clean prepped and painted my steering arms, steering box and spindles...

I still need to decide if I want to paint the tie-rods "cast iron" and match the centerlink, pitman and idler arms, or leave them black... Adjuster sleeve is black anodized aluminum, so not planning on painting that...

Today I will clear the centerlink, and give the new drums a coat of paint, just to keep rust away...

I also plan on installing the springs and spindles... We'll see how that goes...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in