My '66 SS L78 rebuild - Page 8 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #106 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 20, 9:04 PM
Tech Team

That’s a lotta work. Looking great. 👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 20, 9:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: My '66 SS L78 rebuild

Also got the rearend cleaned, prepped and painted...

Started digging out all my parts: New cover and bolts, new rear brakes/backing plates and bolts, new Moser axles and wheel studs, new Wolfe Racecraft spherical upper bearings, UMI upper shock brace, Edelbrock tubular frame braces, Edelbrock adjustable upper arms with spherical bearings, Global West lowers (spherical on one end), etc, etc, etc...

Started stripping paint off my driveshaft (previous owner painted it, twice?)… No evidence of the three stripes, but I plan to replicate just for fun...

Yeah, LOTS more parts to clean and strip, so I guess its time to set up that Summit blast cabinet and get to work...

But seeing it like this really energizes me!

I still need to press out the upper bushings and press in the spherical ones, as well as press in the new upper control arm bushings...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearend paint 2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	630896   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearend paint 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	630898  
Clint44, Pete 67 and floyd66 like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #108 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 20, 9:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss4spd View Post
That’s a lotta work. Looking great. 👍
Yeah, it only took me 35 years to get to this point... October 1985, I disassembled the entire car (well, I kept it a roller)… Finally completing what I started...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #109 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 20, 9:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
Here is a photo of my recently acquired 66 frame stamping , nothing snowed up until all paint removed.
I never found any other numbers on the frame, just the VIN, and maybe "1" near the passenger firewall...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #110 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 20, 9:14 PM
Tech Team

Nice to get some closure on a project.
post #111 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 20, 10:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Congratulations! I know the feeling of that milestone.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #112 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 2:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I can't find the brake line bracket that bolts to the rearend cover... its the little things...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #113 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 7:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage

inline tube sells a quality bracket. One of the very few reproductions I was pleased with.

I looked and looked for an original. I guess this is a part that gets lost easily.

Tom Lloyd

take my advice, I'm not using it.
post #114 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 8:04 PM
Tech Team

Here’s one in the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69C72340-9D18-4DB7-85AE-2E2E6907A5D7_1592956890748.png
Views:	63
Size:	5.06 MB
ID:	630962  
1966_L78 and Kopfjaeger like this.
post #115 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 4:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Coming along nicely Tony. Bet that brake cleaner and lacquer thinner are keeping you happy at least. Nice to be outside in the good weather too.
Progress is progress. That Mark Jones motor just beckons doesn't it? If I didn't have to replace everything else, I'd have one built.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #116 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 5:36 PM
Tech Team
John

Maybe this has been covered, but I didn’t see it: what are your plans during the L78 rebuild to address running it on current premium pump gas with 93 octane? When I had my original ‘67 L78 Sunoco 260 (102+ Octane) was all I used! Ha! I know this must be a real issue these days.

I am contemplating building an L78 to have it ready when I find a suitable ‘67 Chevelle to put it in.
post #117 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 6:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Frame looks great, Tony. Plus you saved money doing it yourself instead of powder coating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
I can't find the brake line bracket that bolts to the rearend cover... its the little things...
As soon as you order a replacement, you'll find your original bracket. It always happens that way to me.
Freddy Mercado likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #118 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle SS 396/375 View Post
Maybe this has been covered, but I didn’t see it: what are your plans during the L78 rebuild to address running it on current premium pump gas with 93 octane? When I had my original ‘67 L78 Sunoco 260 (102+ Octane) was all I used! Ha! I know this must be a real issue these days.

I am contemplating building an L78 to have it ready when I find a suitable ‘67 Chevelle to put it in.
The car no longer has the original motor... I did have a date-correct, legitimate '66 L78 for a while, but I ended up selling it 15+ years ago ( it would never be original, and I was offer big money for it). I only want it to "look stock"... There is no way I am going to run 11:0-1... 91 octane is the highest around here, so I want to limit it to that.

I currently have a '66 396, bored to a standard 427 with oval port heads and the L78 "069" aluminum intake and freshly rebuilt, service-dated #3613 carb. Fired it and idled for 20 minutes, about 5 years ago... That will likely be the current engine...

I debated long and hard about headers vs stock manifolds... I decided to run the stock manifolds since I have a nice set just sitting for 20+ years... For exhaust, I am going to go with the "OEM-style" from NPD... Its under $400, including the shipping. Just want a "stock" look, but I don't need concours perfect (like Waldon or Gardner)... Its supposed to have the behind-the-wheel exits which is what I want...

A few years ago, I picked up a decent "core" 454 shortblock, so maybe I'll build that... I have std/std steel crank (polished and wet-mag'd), and am considering building a "427"... And of course, I have been thinking about a Mark Jones motor... I spoke with Mark once, and he did not seen to interested in what I was looking for.

Most likely it won't be driveable until next spring anyway...
Freddy Mercado likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #119 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 20, 6:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Tony,
Nice, that’s what I did. Had a nice standard bore 454/4 bolt main block and dropped an NOS forged GM nitride crank in her. Instant 427! Then added a hydraulic roller cam.......

Joe
1966_L78 likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #120 of 131 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 1:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Well, had an injury that might set me back a bit... It was about 102 here yesterday, and I was emptying the skimmer basket, and remembered i needed to adjust the skimmer-to-bottom drain... Only took a few seconds (20-25?).

Man the concrete pool decking was hot... then later while walking with my wife, I noticed my foot felt funny...

I burned the bottom of my foot... Blistered the pads on 4 of my toes and along the ball of my foot...

Not really any pain, just hard to walk because I am trying to be on my heel and the outside of my foot...

Yeah,

my wife gave me some crap because I am always barefoot...

But I got my upper front control arms assembled. Pressed in the new bushings on cleaned up original cross-shafts. I also used my press to install 10 wheel studs into my "new " Moser axles...

Haven't opened the box yet, but my Summit order arrived today, should have the tool to R&R the bushings from the rear end upper ears... I think thats the most difficult part coming up... Well maybe compressing the coil springs on a bare frame..

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in