My '66 SS L78 rebuild - Page 7 - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 20, 9:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: My '66 SS L78 rebuild

Here is a photo of my recently acquired 66 frame stamping , nothing snowed up until all paint removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7185801F-B6EA-4185-81F7-99B59FC9DD55.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	612872  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 20, 4:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
Here is a photo of my recently acquired 66 frame stamping , nothing snowed up until all paint removed.
Nice... Looks to be further back than I expected it to be... I am going to try to find it this weekend...

I guess when I have it powder coated, I'll have to have that area (and the VIN area) taped off so as not to fill in the stamping...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #93 of 104 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 20, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

More progress...

I got all the front suspension and motor pedestals removed... The front cross-member is sitting on a furniture dolly...

I left the upper control arm shaft bolts/studs for now. I have new AMK pieces, but since mine are nice and tight, I debate if I should known them out and replace...

I still need to get the rearend out, but all the bolts are loose, shocks off, etc... I need to pick up another furniture dolly from Harbor Freight, I'll use one at each lower rear control arm mount area, s oi can still roll the frame around...

Nice weather, but a bit cold (for me)… Probably mid-low 50's (Brrr!), but warm enough for me to strip down to a T-shirt (then I got cold as I was working)…

Had trouble removing one steering arms on each side... I guess the bolts were rusted inside... Got one out (thought it was going to break), and the second I need to cut off the end as I got frustrated and started beating it with a 5-pound sledge. The BFG actually did break it loose, but the "mushroomed" end now needs to be cut off to fit through the steering arm...

Spindles off, upper anchor pin out, but I still need to disassemble the upper control arm. They were rebuilt before (1985), so the BJs are bolted in, that should be easy...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4297.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	613446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4302.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	613448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4300.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	613450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4299.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	613452  

Saltherring likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #94 of 104 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 2:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

well,

Finally got some time to play with the Chevelle... I managed to complete the frame disassembly. Got everything off, and straighten the lowers rails (from floor jack use over the years?)… I bought a larger (15"?) adjustable wrench from Harbor Freight. Made it easy, and had longer jaws...

I also got the radiator support and inner fenders ready. Not I just need to disassemble the upper front control arms (replacement BJs are bolted in), and disassemble some grill brackets, and I should be ready for the powder coaters...

I also test-fit the UMI rear should reinforcement. I does not sit flush on the front side (both sides). I guess I'll need to shim with washers once its time to assemble it.

The factory 12-bolt, I'll hand strip that and them prime and paint. I'll bee adding new axles, cover, upper bushngs, backing plates, but I am not disassembling the gears... Although, maybe I should replace the pinion seal as it has ben sitting for over 12 years...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 bolt 2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	616976   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 bolt.jpg
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	616978   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame front.jpg
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	616980   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame rear.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	616982  

Name:	frame shock reinforcement 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	616984   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame shock reinforcement 3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	616986   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame shock reinforcement.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	616988  
boyd66k20 and Saltherring like this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #95 of 104 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 3:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Kind of bummed out...

I have everything ready for the blasting and powder coating, and then on Saturday, no one shows up. I called but no reply.

I am guessing they are off because their work is not "essential"...

And here I was getting excited thinking about reassembly...

I might be at home a few more days a week, and figure I might spend some time striping it myself, and maybe even paint the frame if I don't hear from the powder coater by then... I have a few quarts of Eastwood and Summit chassis paint, and I have a small Summit blast cabinet I need to set up (with media from HF)... I could do most myself, it was primarily that the powdercoating would save time...

Oh well...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #96 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 2:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Well...

Twice now the local powder coating shop has blown me off. Both times I had an appointment for them to pick up the frame and parts... And both times they just didn't show up... First was back in March, and I watched the guy write my name and number on his calendar...

The second time was this week.

I called on Tuesday, and spoke to the owner (mid-60s guy). I had spoken with him at his shop a few times. He took my info and wanted to know which day this week would be best. I told him Thursday... Thursday came and went, and so did Friday, and no one showed up, no one called (on Tuesday, he asked for my phone number and address, and read them back to me)…

So finally today I decided to start stripping myself... I used a few flap-discs, and a wire wheel on my Harbor Freight 4-1/2" angle grinder... In an hour and a half, I had the front stripped down, except the bottom, and the passenger-outboard frame... Mostly done to the center mounts (under the doors)… Still need some work in some tight areas, and I'll need to flip it over to do the bottom side... I estimate another 1.5 hours to finish the front, and probably 4 hours to finish up the rear...

While I previously stripped the drivers rear, exposing the CON VIN, I have not found the part number stamp yet. I stripped from the body mount behind the wheel to the bumper mounts, but like Jim's picture above, I never found anything...

Today, I actually found a second CON VIN stamped on top of the drivers side rail, just behind the middle "mount" (under the drivers door).

Now I have to figure what I am going to use to paint it. I have some Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black (both gloss and satin as well as the Extreme chassis black primer)…

I want to order a few things from Eastwood, so I think I'll order another quart of the "gloss". Eastwood says its ~85%, so I think I will mix in some of the satin, and try to bring the gloss down slightly... maybe 3:1, should bring it down to around 70 %.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frame may22 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	627674   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame may22 2A.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	627676   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame may22 3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	627678   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame may22 7.jpg
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	627680  

Name:	frame may22 8.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	627682   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame may22 9.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	627684   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame may22 6.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	627686  
Saltherring likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #97 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 8:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Nice! Sucks when your waiting for someone to do what they promised and they either take twice as long or never show up!

As for Eastwood, I like their 2k frame paint and their epoxy primer. Both are in a can and go on very well and are as tough as nails. They also make an internal frame paint with a long spray hose to fit in the enclosed sections of frame.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #98 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 8:40 AM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Looks like you're really having fun now. Seems like you can't count on anybody to show up these days. At times, I had to pick up the masons in the morning to be able to get any work done. No one wants to work.
Nice seeing the frame all shiny and the numbers. Keep the faith.
Kopfjaeger and Saltherring like this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #99 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 11:09 AM
Tech Team
John

You have a real undertaking there and good for you! While I haven’t restored a Chevelle “yet” I have restored others, mainly my 1972 BMW 2002tii. It was totaled and I spotted the good bones in the car & bought it from a salvage yard. It was in better condition than it looked and the rare Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection engine was very strong! Maybe I will post before and after pics to show you how it’s possible to get there when it appears hopeless!

I used Eastwood products for just about everything during my restoration (2000 - 2004). The rust encapsulator is great...don’t let the word rust scare you...some parts have surface rust that can be sanded and easily covered with proper care. Wurth makes a great underbody seal too that I applied to all of my cars to protect the areas that get wet and are hard to get to.

Great story and I wish you well! Remember, “baby steps” and no cutting corners and eventually you will have a car worthy of all the effort!
post #100 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 2:07 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Personally, if I were you, I would suggest stopping the effort of stripping/cleaning the frame by hand, and find a reputable company to at least blast, and possibly paint or powder-coat. You simply can not beat the effectiveness of blasting. It will do a FAR better job cleaning joints and lapped edges, which are the most critical areas to get clean. Those areas are where corrosion and rust will naturally start. If you don't have it all out before you re-paint, it will be back in time.

As you know, the factory frame welds and seams harbor a lot of crap.

What's more, the roughened surface from blasting does very well promoting adhesion by primer or powder coats. I think you'll be glad you did further down the line.

Great project, keep it up.
post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 3:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

Tony,

Summit has a nice line of DTM epoxy chassis paints that are very reasonably priced. They mix 1 to 1 & spray very nicely. They also come in aerosol cans if you don't have a compressor. I used the semi-gloss version & it's about 70% gloss when it fully cures. When it first lays out it looks REALLY shiny, which made me nervous, but the sheen is really close to perfect for a restoration.

Plus it's at your door next day.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 9:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Thanks Pete.

I think I tried to buy the Summit chassis paint last year, only to find that they wouldn’t ship to California.

I’ll have to check again.

Last August (Hot August Nights), I stopped at Summit store and considered buying and bringing it home, but I was wrestling with the powder coating idea, so no purchase...

It 50 years, no major rust and no tot on the frame or undercarriage, so I am not really worried about the future. It was primarily my time, figuring blasting and coating would be shop’s time while I work or did chores (honey-do’s) around the house. But thankfully, my wife is pretty easy going.

While the project is “fully funded”, we are still looking at a 10% pay cut ( both my wife and I), and our oldest is starting college this year... saving a bit of money will keep the wife happy.

I have been thinking about a Mark Jones motor to replace the old (NOM) 396...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 9:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze68 View Post
Personally, if I were you, I would suggest stopping the effort of stripping/cleaning the frame by hand, and find a reputable company to at least blast, and possibly paint or powder-coat. You simply can not beat the effectiveness of blasting. It will do a FAR better job cleaning joints and lapped edges, which are the most critical areas to get clean. Those areas are where corrosion and rust will naturally start. If you don't have it all out before you re-paint, it will be back in time.

As you know, the factory frame welds and seams harbor a lot of crap.

What's more, the roughened surface from blasting does very well promoting adhesion by primer or powder coats. I think you'll be glad you did further down the line.

Great project, keep it up.

In California they really dont rust the way they do in East Coast. I think and Epoxy primer will be the answer here Tony.
post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old Today, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
In California they really dont rust the way they do in East Coast. I think and Epoxy primer will be the answer here Tony.
Yeah,

It is 54 years old, and there really is no major rust on the frame or undercarriage, and absolutely no rot... Some very light surface rust, and a few newer rust spots where I had stripped some paint last year and never re coated the frame areas.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in