Hooker 1968-72 A-body LS swap technical info thread - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 16, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Hooker 1968-72 A-body LS swap technical info thread

Hey guys. I've been asked lots of technical/application questions regarding the new Hooker 1968-72 A-body LS swap system of components on a couple of different threads on this forum and would like to use this thread as a single source for such questions and information in the future to prevent hijacking the threads of other members to provide relative answers.

I've also been asked about information regarding the Hooker 66-67 swap application components I'm about to start developing, so I'll start a separate thread for that application shortly to keep things clean and tidy.

A good place to start this thread is for me to clarify what is available for the 1968-72 A-body application and then allow you guys to ask any technical or compatibility questions you may have regarding any of them.

The parts/systems available for the 1968-72 A-body LS swap application are as follows:

1.) Forward position LS engine mounting brackets
2.) Stock transmission location engine mounting brackets
3.) LS swap transmission crossmember
4.) 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" 304ss mid-length headers
5.) 1-3/4 and 1-7/8" 304ss long-tube headers
6.) 2.5" and 3" 304ss 2-door ( exc. El Camino) exhaust systems
7.) 2.5" and 3" 304ss 4-door/wagon/El Camino exhaust systems

It is important for the user to be aware that all of these components were developed simultaneously on the same A-body vehicles (six total) in order to provide a level of fitment, compatibility and functional geometry not possible to achieve using universal type components developed independently by various manufacturers. In other words, the experience and results of using these components together as designed is quite different than what has been offered in the market for this cars up to this point.

finally, I am merely the design engineer who develops the LS swap components here at Holley, so please refrain from asking me questions pertaining to pricing, availability or shipping, since my position and responsibilities provides me with no means by which to answer them effectively.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll give you the most comprehensive answers I can, including photos if required or asked for.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 7:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Re: Hooker 1968-72 A-body LS swap technical info thread

Not sure if this is a good spot for it but, I had a time trying to figure out what oil filter fits on the Holley 302-2 LS swap oil pan with their supplied oil filter adapter. It's an M22x1.5mm adapter so any GM oil filter pre-2007 wont fit AFAIK. Have to use an interchange for the ACDelco PF48 (short) or PF63(long).

'69 SS396 - FiTech L33 swapped w/Muncie, 3.31 TrueTrac - VHX Gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 16, 7:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPac View Post
Not sure if this is a good spot for it but, I had a time trying to figure out what oil filter fits on the Holley 302-2 LS swap oil pan with their supplied oil filter adapter. It's an M22x1.5mm adapter so any GM oil filter pre-2007 wont fit AFAIK. Have to use an interchange for the ACDelco PF48 (short) or PF63(long).
Thanks for breaking the ice GenPac. This is as good a place as any to mention the 302-2 oil filter requirement, I'm sure someone ready your post will appreciate the info.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 16, 3:55 PM
Tech Team
Bill

I've been cking the Holley site weekly and the mounts seemed to be always on back order. I called Friday and spoke to tech support and the guy was absolutely no help on any release information. He said it could be 2 weeks or more than a month??
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 16, 4:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Both versions of the brackets have been released and have been shipping, but it's possible the first production runs have sold out already. I don't track availability of parts beyond their initial release, so I can't say what their status is without getting into the system.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 16, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Badride, I checked the system this morning and both sets of brackets are showing B/O at the moment. There is high interest in these parts and the fact that they're new means it will take a couple of production runs to establish appropriate min balances to ensure availability. If you are interested in a set of either, my advice would be to place an order so that you are locked-in for a set from the next production run as pending orders are shipped out first.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 16, 4:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badride View Post
I've been cking the Holley site weekly and the mounts seemed to be always on back order. I called Friday and spoke to tech support and the guy was absolutely no help on any release information. He said it could be 2 weeks or more than a month??

I ordered my first set on Feb10th through Jegs when they were backordered and received them on or about the 25th, drop shipped from Holley. I just ordered my second set this Saturday, this time from Holley direct. We'll see how long it takes. Two weeks is not bad, but I bet it will get better.

Quote:
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 16, 6:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPac View Post
I ordered my first set on Feb10th through Jegs when they were backordered and received them on or about the 25th, drop shipped from Holley. I just ordered my second set this Saturday, this time from Holley direct. We'll see how long it takes. Two weeks is not bad, but I bet it will get better.

The availability always improves with new products after the first couple of production runs gives the ability to adjust the min balances in the system according to sales demand. Where in Nevada are you located GenPac? I'm originally from Henderson, NV myself.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 16, 9:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
The availability always improves with new products after the first couple of production runs gives the ability to adjust the min balances in the system according to sales demand. Where in Nevada are you located GenPac? I'm originally from Henderson, NV myself.

I'm over on the north west side of Vegas.

Quote:
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 16, 8:13 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Ok, I'll order a set. I know you said this thread was for tech help so, I have a 2000 Yukon for my drivetrain (5.3/4L60), I need to order the forward position mounts, 302-2 pan and a smaller power steering pulley, is this correct? Any suggestions on pulley size/brand? And also with this setup, will I be able to use all of the factory accessories including AC? Will the truck intake clear the stock flat hood? Does Holley offer any other header that will fit beside the stainless, this is a budget build and 1000.00 set of headers is not feasible? Thanks
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 16, 3:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badride View Post
Ok, I'll order a set. I know you said this thread was for tech help so, I have a 2000 Yukon for my drivetrain (5.3/4L60), I need to order the forward position mounts, 302-2 pan and a smaller power steering pulley, is this correct? Any suggestions on pulley size/brand? And also with this setup, will I be able to use all of the factory accessories including AC? Will the truck intake clear the stock flat hood? Does Holley offer any other header that will fit beside the stainless, this is a budget build and 1000.00 set of headers is not feasible? Thanks
Yes, your parts list is correct. You'll need to swap out the power steering pulley for one from another vehicle and I don't remember which it is off the top of my head; I can do some research over the next couple of days and get back to you with an answer.

The truck A/C compressor will install with your set-up, but I can't tell you if the truck intake will clear your hood as It was not tested for fitment.

There will be mild steel versions of the headers offered within a few months, so you can hold off on that purchase until then if that will fit your project time frame.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 16, 8:21 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Thanks Todd, it's nice to have parts and info on this project without having to guess if it will work or not. Not in a big hurry for the headers so that time frame will be good.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 16, 11:05 PM
Tech Team
Jon

Garage

Any pics with the A/C installed with these mounts?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
**Built not Bought**
1972 Chevelle, UMI Suspension, Kore3 Brakes, Soon to be 5.3L Turbo/T56
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 9:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast72 View Post
Any pics with the A/C installed with these mounts?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Are you referring to a specific A/C compressor, or the A/C evaporator case?
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 16, 9:32 AM
Tech Team
Jon

Garage

The compressor. I'm looking to low mount my ac and haven't found mounts that will work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
**Built not Bought**
1972 Chevelle, UMI Suspension, Kore3 Brakes, Soon to be 5.3L Turbo/T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1005 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.