Recommended Swap Kits - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 16, 7:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jorge

Re: Recommended Swap Kits

Todd,

I realize it's been a while. I've been checking the ls1tech forum on the motor mounts and am stoked to get those in the mail soon! Appreciate all your help thus far! I've got my 5.3 vortec, long tube hooker headers, 302-2 pan, forward mounts (on the way), and my wiring harness and ecu!

Will I need a 5" diameter power steering pump pulley to allow fitment with the stock truck accessory drive?

If anyone can weigh in, I'm also looking to learn about about other upgrades before putting the motor in. What are the benefits of putting in LS6 injectors, oil pump, and timing chain? LS7 lifters?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 16, 8:32 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Pulley depends on how far back the engine sets. The truck accessories are a couple inches forward from where the corvette accessories are.

If your changing the cam then I would get ls7 lifters, new oil pump, new timing chain. Otherwise I'd leave it alone. ls6 injectors may not work on a stock truck intake and fuel rail.
post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 16, 11:44 AM
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolo View Post
Todd,

I realize it's been a while. I've been checking the ls1tech forum on the motor mounts and am stoked to get those in the mail soon! Appreciate all your help thus far! I've got my 5.3 vortec, long tube hooker headers, 302-2 pan, forward mounts (on the way), and my wiring harness and ecu!

Will I need a 5" diameter power steering pump pulley to allow fitment with the stock truck accessory drive?

If anyone can weigh in, I'm also looking to learn about about other upgrades before putting the motor in. What are the benefits of putting in LS6 injectors, oil pump, and timing chain? LS7 lifters?

Thank you!
Glad to hear you are on-board with using the new Hooker A-body swap components. If you want to run the truck accessory drive set-up, you will be required to use a 6" maximum diameter pulley on the PS pump.

Last edited by toddoky; Jan 14th, 16 at 5:30 PM.

post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 16, 7:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jorge

Awesome thank you!
post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 16, 4:30 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Hey jSolo, a little heads-up for you here...I noticed the forward position engine brackets have hit the shelf with only a quantity of 5 remaining out of the first batch, since most of them are allocated to fill back-orders that have been pending. If you want to secure a set, I would head over to the Holley website, or any reseller's site listing them, and place an order pronto. There's more coming from our supplier, but it will be a few weeks I'm sure until the next run becomes available. The stock position engine brackets should be hitting the shelf any day now as well.
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 16, 4:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddoky View Post
I not so sure about that, when do you plan on doing your swap? I can help out you a bit here even if you don't end up using Hooker or Holley products as I've validated fitment of TH400, 2004R, 4L60-4L70, 4L80 and T56 transmissions, both with and without the stock A/C suitcase, with the Holley,stock truck, F-body, GTO, and Corvette accessory drive systems and can tell you how to obtain your best fitment with any combination of these parts/components while achieving optimized U-joint angles. I'll give you some starting words of advise...do not use stock location swap plates to install your LS/4L60 unless you are willing to perform floor surgery to your floor and the base of your firewall. You can lower the rear of the trans down to avoid the surgery, but you'll end up with the same undesirable U-joint working angles reported by others. The cure for this issue that will enable you to bolt the engine and trans right in and obtain optimized U-joint angles at the same time without cutting the floor is to move the engine forward and the Holley 302-2 pan will allow you to do this. There are two sets of engine brackets coming out from Hooker and the forward-position set installs with the 302-2 and does this for you automatically. The other set of brackets are stock location and allow the same bolt-in U-joint angles to be achieved when using a TH350, TH400 or 2004R transmission.
Todd,

the 302-2 fits the 5.3 vortec motor without cutting anything, right?
post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 16, 5:19 PM
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Todd,

Yes, it fits all the LS engine with the common 3.62" stroke crank.
post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 16, 7:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Todd,

Other than shortening the windage tray.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 9:46 AM
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Other than shortening the windage tray.
That's correct, I was only including vehicle components on the exterior of the pan in my answer and not the installation steps it takes to install the pan.
post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 16, 6:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jorge

Quote:
Glad to hear you are on-board with using the new Hooker A-body swap components. If you want to run the truck accessory drive set-up, you will be required to use a 6" maximum diameter pulley on the PS pump.
Hey Todd,

Will this pulley work for me?

Chevrolet Performance Power Steering Pulleys 12568997 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
post #71 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 16, 8:27 AM
Tech Team
Todd

Negative, that is a Corvette pulley. I would do some searching on ls1tech for an appropriate smaller diameter pulley that others have successfully used on the truck pump.
post #72 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 16, 10:58 AM
Senior Tech Team

I used Dorman 300-201 PS pulley.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #73 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 16, 8:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jorge

And the Dorman 300-201 pulley will work on an 03 5.3 vortec in the 68 chevelle?
post #74 of 83 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 16, 8:47 AM
Tech Team
Todd

For anyone who's been waiting on the new Hooker stock transmission location engine brackets, they hit the shelf two days ago and have begun being shipped out.
post #75 of 83 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 16, 2:44 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
For anyone who's been waiting on the new Hooker stock transmission location engine brackets, they hit the shelf two days ago and have begun being shipped out.

Todd, do you work for Holley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1434 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.