LS 6.0/4L60e swap in my 64 - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 6:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

LS 6.0/4L60e swap in my 64

Figured i'd start a thread for my 64 Chevelle LS swap. My car is pretty much done so its more of a motor swap rather than a full build. Starting with my 64 that has a low mileage 350 crate motor/700R4 (drivetrain is going in another car) Here's my starting point-

Donor motor combo

Picked up a complete pull out 6.0/4l60e from one of my buddies from an 02 Denali, low miles.

Plans are-
Holley motor mounts- bought
Holley 302-3 oil pan- bought
Brian Tooley stage II cam kit- bought
LS6 intake setup- bought (no throttle body yet)
ICT alt/PS accessory mount- bought
Cheap mid length headers for now. May go twin turbo later.
Holley Terminator X control system
TCI 3000 stall convertor- bought
Fuel system (still researching what I want)

I'll post updates as I move along. Waiting on a bunch of parts still. Gonna work on it as parts come. Been working from home for the last few weeks, so I have a flexible schedule
Jeff65SS and Blown1932 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 6:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Re: LS 6.0/4L60e swap in my 64

SO far I cleaned up the engine, changed the pan, and painted the block, valve covers and valley cover. Most parts will be coming in this week.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 6:46 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Sounds like you have a very good start there with the Holley mounts and oil pan. I also went with the Hooker Holley Blackheart LS swap headers and they fit very nicely inside the frame rails of an A-body.

Will the Terminator X control your 4L60E? Otherwise, you will need a transmission control module to support your electronic transmission.

I'm running a Tanks, Inc fuel tank with an in tank fuel pump and their "armless" gauge sending unit. The regulator / fuel filter is from a Corvette and Tanks, Inc also sells it.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 6:50 PM
Tech Team
Rick

I would also suggest changing any sending unit that is hard to get to and do it now - such as the knock sensors. Yours are under the intake manifold and the sensors are tough to reach later. Get a new harness for these while you are at it.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 6:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Sounds like you have a very good start there with the Holley mounts and oil pan. I also went with the Hooker Holley Blackheart LS swap headers and they fit very nicely inside the frame rails of an A-body.

Will the Terminator X control your 4L60E? Otherwise, you will need a transmission control module to support your electronic transmission.

I'm running a Tanks, Inc fuel tank with an in tank fuel pump and their "armless" gauge sending unit. The regulator / fuel filter is from a Corvette and Tanks, Inc also sells it.

Rick
I looked at the Hooker swap headers, but I don't wanna drop a bunch of coin on headers if I'm planning turbo for later. CPP sells a mid length set for cheap.
The Holley Terminator X will control the trans. The regular Terminator is for manual trans. I have a stock modified harness but dont think i'll use it. I do like the home tunability with the Holley ECM.
I looked at CPP (shop is 2 miles from my house) kit that includes the tank and fuel pump/system for under $500. Not sure yet on fuel delivery system if I'll run the same tank and external fuel pump or run the internal new tank set up.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 6:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
I would also suggest changing any sending unit that is hard to get to and do it now - such as the knock sensors. Yours are under the intake manifold and the sensors are tough to reach later. Get a new harness for these while you are at it.

Rick
I've seen knock sensor delete stuff online. Do I need knock sensors for aftermarket harness/ECM?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 7:34 PM
Tech Team
Rick

If you think you are going to run a turbo later, you need the protective insurance that knock reduction can provide.

I'd keep it.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
If you think you are going to run a turbo later, you need the protective insurance that knock reduction can provide.

I'd keep it.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I read up on the KS, gonna keep em. Thanks for the info!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 11:38 PM
Tech Team

I have read some good reviews on these from Speed engineering https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Engin....c100667.m2042
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
Car looks great!! Where in SoCal are you located? I’m in Huntington Beach

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 7:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Car looks great man! You're going to love that combo, it's fun and reliable.

You can use your truck throttle body, will bolt right up to the LS6 intake. I decided to stay drive by wire and learned to tune it pretty well. Tad of a restriction, but budget rules the decisions. It still pulls like a mule on meth though.

If you have a pull a part near you, go find a tahoe/suburban/yukon/silverado/etc that has flex fuel emblems and grab the injectors (33lbhr) and injector harness, you're going to need them. The stock 25lbhr injectors are just enough for stock 6.0, tuned they're on the edge, cammed, you'll be running out of injector quick. You'll also need to grab spacers to run those injectors on the LS6 fuel rail. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-551371

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF74chevelle View Post
Car looks great!! Where in SoCal are you located? Iím in Huntington Beach
Thanks! I'm in Yorba Linda area. Your lucky, you close to Donut Derelicts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Car looks great man! You're going to love that combo, it's fun and reliable.

You can use your truck throttle body, will bolt right up to the LS6 intake. I decided to stay drive by wire and learned to tune it pretty well. Tad of a restriction, but budget rules the decisions. It still pulls like a mule on meth though.

If you have a pull a part near you, go find a tahoe/suburban/yukon/silverado/etc that has flex fuel emblems and grab the injectors (33lbhr) and injector harness, you're going to need them. The stock 25lbhr injectors are just enough for stock 6.0, tuned they're on the edge, cammed, you'll be running out of injector quick. You'll also need to grab spacers to run those injectors on the LS6 fuel rail. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-551371
Perfect, thanks for the info! I'm still learning bout this LS stuff!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 1:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Got some stuff in the mail today. Still waiting on the BTR cam so I did the valve springs today.

Spring tool from BTR website. Worked pretty good, got em done fairly quick.

I did have a few issues-
- Crank pulley wouldn't budge with my air impact. Ended up buying a new
electric impact and came right off.

- Had to run to the auto parts store twice to get the correct puller for the truck
pulley.
I finally rigged something that would work with the rental, but I'd suggest
buying the LS correct puller.

Cam should be delivered Friday
David Bates likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 2:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

I bought a used LS1 and put it in my 1964 A body. Wish I had replaced the rear main seal before putting it all together....
David Bates and Jeff65SS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in