Why Install LS Engine in Chevelle - Page 9 - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

140Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 130 (permalink) Unread Feb 14th, 20, 10:13 AM
Tech Team
Cody

Re: Why Install LS Engine in Chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Second vote for this. There are some nice installs out there..and others that are downright scary. Its the details that can make it realiable or a headache.

Only way Id replace a BB with an LS is to stroke a 6.0 or LS2/3 to a 402/408?
GMPP sells a CNC head through summit for 880 ea which is a killer deal.

Add a healthy HR cam youre making some big power.

Not sure youd be thrilled with stock LS1, 5.3 torque it just isnt there NA.

Ive seen a couple early 2000 8.1 LS which are 496? Cant help but wonder what aftermarket parts are out for that...Huge potential I would think. The HD and 1 tons, even some suburbans came with them.

Theres also GMPP lsx454 thats a bad boy!!
A 5.3L has plenty of torque it just may not feel like it with the gearing in your truck.

The 8.1 would be even worse than finding an LS swapped car. It shares nothing with previous generation big blocks (the heads won't even interchange), and the aftermarket isn't there like it is for the older engines or the LS. There's also going to be less knowledge on troubleshooting issues with a swap.

1971 Monte Carlo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 (permalink) Unread Feb 14th, 20, 9:27 PM

Sounds great! I read the comments on your video, just cam and Pac 1218 springs? Stock 317 heads?

I have a stock LQ4 with 4L60 only 2k stall converter. I'd like to upgrade the cam in the future but even in stock form this 6.0 moves, I'm not racing, I mainly just cruise with the family and occasionally beat on it around town.
Pat_McNeil likes this.
post #123 of 130 (permalink) Unread Feb 14th, 20, 9:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by abodys View Post
Sounds great! I read the comments on your video, just cam and Pac 1218 springs? Stock 317 heads?

I have a stock LQ4 with 4L60 only 2k stall converter. I'd like to upgrade the cam in the future but even in stock form this 6.0 moves, I'm not racing, I mainly just cruise with the family and occasionally beat on it around town.
Thank you sir, stock 317 heads, never pulled them.
LS6 intake, 33lbhr flex fuel injectors, stock dbw LQ4 throttle body, eBay cold air intake, Hedman 45216 headers, Elgin cam, stock lifters, pushrods, timing chain, summit racing roller rocker trunion upgrade, and PAC springs, everything I've done besides seals and paint.

Get the cam, you won't believe how hard that thing pulls.
Pat_McNeil, Geo71 and abodys like this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #124 of 130 (permalink) Unread Feb 14th, 20, 10:16 PM
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Thank you sir, stock 317 heads, never pulled them.
LS6 intake, 33lbhr flex fuel injectors, stock dbw LQ4 throttle body, eBay cold air intake, Hedman 45216 headers, Elgin cam, stock lifters, pushrods, timing chain, summit racing roller rocker trunion upgrade, and PAC springs, everything I've done besides seals and paint.

Get the cam, you won't believe how hard that thing pulls.
Most of my buddies run that cam /spring setup in their 5.3ís...single turbos. They all run mid 9ís and drive them all over...

I didnt realize that was yours in the vid...very nice!
Pat_McNeil and Hotwire like this.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #125 of 130 (permalink) Unread Feb 15th, 20, 3:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo71 View Post
Most of my buddies run that cam /spring setup in their 5.3’s...single turbos. They all run mid 9’s and drive them all over...

I didnt realize that was yours in the vid...very nice!
Thank you, I'm definitely a fan, car rolls out to 6400 whenever I ask it to and still wants to pull.

I was kind of poking fun about the sbc/bbc sound statement. It's all good, I love em as long as they put me back in the seat. 🙂
Pat_McNeil and Geo71 like this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #126 of 130 (permalink) Unread Feb 15th, 20, 10:20 PM
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Thank you, I'm definitely a fan, car rolls out to 6400 whenever I ask it to and still wants to pull.

I was kind of poking fun about the sbc/bbc sound statement. It's all good, I love em as long as they put me back in the seat. 🙂
I know my buddy that has a s10blazer, he goes 7500 rpm with his. Went 5.79 in the 1/8th and blew it up. I think it was 22 psi.

I havenít got to hear mine yet...soon I hope!
Hotwire likes this.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
388 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
post #127 of 130 (permalink) Unread Today, 2:43 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_goodoboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2/75NastyNewbs View Post
To the OP,

Couple questions,

1. What’s your budget? $30K

2. Do you intend to buy a “finished” car? Or a project car? Finished

Here’s my 2 cents:

LS engines are great. They run good and make great power due to the air flow characteristics of the cylinder heads. They have other great design features aswell. HOWEVER, throwing out a blanket statement saying that they run smoother isn’t quite accurate. Many different factors play into the “smoothness” of an engine. I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that when the shop owner said “smoother”, it was probably in reference to a lower cruising RPM. There aren’t many people that swap and LS engine into a muscle car and don’t put an over drive transmission into it.

You don't need to do an LS swap for a nice reliable cruiser. A nice crate small block such as a Blue Print Engines 383 stroker and an overdrive transmission such as a 7004r would fit the bill nicely. You could fuel inject it too depending on budget. This would give you the best of both worlds. Nice cruising RPM, reliable starting, and great muscle car performance.
Thank you 2/75NastyNewbs

Please see comments in Red above.

It does not matter to me if LS, small block or big block. I just want reliable and decent ride. From the comments here its looking small block or big block is my direction. LS will cost too much money and too much risk depending on previous owner to have done the work correctly. The simpler the car, the better for me. I do not want all the extra HP extra and fancy stuff on the car. i can add that later as I see fit. I do not even care about matching numbers. Just something that works and nice. And I can drive about 3-4 times a week for about 300 400 miles a week.
Well it sounds like you’ve made up your mind. A nice small block that isn’t too high strung sounds like just the ticket. Or a big block of you can find a car with one already installed. Big block builds aren’t cheap.

An overdrive trans will be your friend. Or a numerically low gear with a torquey big block will help you cruise too.

For 30k you can get a pretty solid car. My advice is to really take your time shopping around and don’t rush into anything. Be annoyingly meticulous when talking to the previous owner. Ask lots of questions, ask for receipts, crawl underneath, etc. I’m sure there’s some threads on this site on what to look for when shopping for a chevelle.

Upgraded suspension will be a large factor in the ride comfort for your longer trips. Again, lots of info on this site for suspension set ups. You can always do that yourself and keep the budget pretty low with some smart shopping for parts.

Like others on this thread have said, there’s nothing that sounds like a naturally aspirated SBC or BBC. I’ll try to load a clip of mine at idle. Good luck with your hunt.

1970 Malibu
383, 10.3:1, etec 200 heads, isky 280 mega, holley 770,
th350, 2600 stall,
12 bolt, 3.55 eaton posi
no time slip yet

just got out of paint

ppg arrival blue metallic
black SS stripes w/ blue pearl
post #128 of 130 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:04 AM
Team Member
Tom

Jeeeeeeeeeeeze, all the above discussion makes me very apprehensive about the long drive to the Maryland show. I don't need the grief of a bunch of folks belittling the 70 with a SB400.
I just think I'll stay in Okla!

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #129 of 130 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

The one thing that is VERY appealing to be with the whole LS phenomenon is the cost. I could get a 6.0 and turbo it for 6-7k installed, and I would have a fuel injected fully tuneable engine that can run 9ís with no work and drives like a dream.

For me to duplicate my 502 again would be over 10k and this is w/o the efi. My neighbors 455 Pontiac was over 10k with alum heads. Canít imagine the small blocks are THAT much cheaper all things being equal. I can afford to do it but I wonít be doing it again. Thereís something about doing things cheap that turn me on anymore lol.

That said I think a 13:1 SFT cheapo BBC would be fun running e85 or maybe somekind of water injection to get by.

Nice to have all these options today thatís for sure.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224-228* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph (9.13 ET w/E85 and 16psi) **SOLD**
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #130 of 130 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

One thing IMHO and experience with these engines,is you have to remove the heads to change lifters. Now that is a royal PITA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in