LSA drive system for a 66 Chevelle - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:36 PM
Tech Team
J

Re: LSA drive system for a 66 Chevelle

Thanks for the info Don! I’m running the Holley rear bias mounts on a ‘67 frame. That setup just might work for me too. I think you’ll be fine with 3 out of 4 bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:44 PM
Tech Team
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
Don, also is the compressor fixed displacement or variable displacement?
FWIW from my limited research it looks like Chevrolet Performance offers 2 similar AC add on kits that could work with the LSA drive.

19299069 “Corvette” kit with variable displacement compressor

19244106 “LSA” kit with fixed compressor

I don’t have first hand experience with either kit, but looks promising.

I haven’t totally ruled out the Holley high mount AC bracket either, although it would certainly need to be modified. But the Holley will hold a Sanden and make an aftermarket AC install a little easier.

Hope this helps.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 8:27 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal-SS View Post
FWIW from my limited research it looks like Chevrolet Performance offers 2 similar AC add on kits that could work with the LSA drive.

19299069 “Corvette” kit with variable displacement compressor

19244106 “LSA” kit with fixed compressor

I don’t have first hand experience with either kit, but looks promising.

I haven’t totally ruled out the Holley high mount AC bracket either, although it would certainly need to be modified. But the Holley will hold a Sanden and make an aftermarket AC install a little easier.

Hope this helps.
Holley's low mount uses the Sanden SD7B10 compressor which has a 6.1 cubic inch displacement vs the Sanden SD709 has 9.5 cubic inches (which Vintage Air recommends for the Chevelle) vs the Denso 10S17F has 10.3 cubic inches.

I sent an email to Vintage Air on the two Sanden models they offered and here's the response I received

Me - "I see that you offer 2 different low mounts for the compressor with corvette accessory spacing on an LS engine. One uses an SD 709 compressor and the other uses an SD-7B10 compressor. I noticed there’s a difference in the specs on the two (displacement/sustained revs). Does it matter which one I use for the Gen IV system in my ’67 Chevelle?"

Vintage Air - "The kit that uses the SD7B10 comp. will be when you are using a LSA engine type, for the standard LS you would use the kit that spec’s the SD709 comp.
Your correct the spec’s are pretty different, with the SD7B10 comps at idle they struggle to put out enough volume to be efficient. Generally these compressor need to be overdriven through the pulley ratios to put out good volume at idle. Now once you up in the RPM’s it will produce nicely. These are good only for systems that have a known to be overdriven.
In reality the SD 709 is larger and has a lower sustained rpm range, but it’s the better option between the two. If the sustained rpms concern you because the vehicle sees high RPM’s often, we offer a WOT cut off function on our GEN IV units so when your wide open throttle it will disengage the compressor."

Also I saw a post where someone from Vintage Air responded that the Denso 10S17F was a good choice for their systems. I was originally going with a Camaro balancer for the Maggie but am looking at running the LSA set up to give more me more flexibility for overdriving the maggie and a wider belt dedicated to the SC. For the Camaro balancer (which is the same spacing as the truck) I was using the truck setup and its version of the Denso 10S17F.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 8:46 AM
Tech Team

Don, Thanks for the pics

J, FWIW - I ordered the LSA AC Kit and I also am using the rear biased Holley mounts on my '67. Once I get it, I'll mock it up and let you know how it fits.
NorCal-SS likes this.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rpol78; Feb 25th, 20 at 9:03 AM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 4:11 PM
Tech Team
J

Good stuff! Thanks rpol78.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 4:37 PM
Tech Team
Don

Garage

I also have a Maggie on a 2010 Camaro. Here's some pics of that set up. I'm running a super tensioner on that but everything else would be the same. The AC compressor is farther out to the side and the alternator is pretty low on the driver side. I don't think it's the best set-up for the older cars. And I like the LSA setup better with a separate belt for the supercharger.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	617684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3043.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	617686   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	617688  
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 7:38 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
I also have a Maggie on a 2010 Camaro. Here's some pics of that set up. I'm running a super tensioner on that but everything else would be the same. The AC compressor is farther out to the side and the alternator is pretty low on the driver side. I don't think it's the best set-up for the older cars. And I like the LSA setup better with a separate belt for the supercharger.

Don
That's similar to how I have it now on the '67 but I'm using the Corvette accessory drive spaced out to work with the Camaro water pump and balancer. It looks like the maggie pulley is spaced out the same as an LSA SC but it only has 6 grooves. I'm pretty sure I can get an 8 groove pulley for the maggie to go with the LSA balancer.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...2&d=1478411773
Volks likes this.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey everyone sorry I haven't checked back in awhile, I did some research and the modified LSA drive system I posted is currently out of stock and no one knows when it will be back in stock. I checked with a guy I know from a dealership and had him price everything out in the kit and it was almost $2,000 without the hardware 😱🤮. So I had him price out just the 8 rib parts for the blower and it was about $550 with the hardware. I know Holley sells the LS7 drive for the 6 rib which would be alternator bracket alternator power steering and etc for around $700 I think and your up and running minus a/c. I have all the GM part numbers for just the LSA 8 rib system I can post them if some people would like to save them the headache I've endured the past couple of weeks chasing my tail on how to get a drive system together without breaking the bank having to buy two separate kits
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 10:12 PM
Tech Team
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC66 View Post
Hey everyone sorry I haven't checked back in awhile, I did some research and the modified LSA drive system I posted is currently out of stock and no one knows when it will be back in stock. I checked with a guy I know from a dealership and had him price everything out in the kit and it was almost $2,000 without the hardware 😱🤮. So I had him price out just the 8 rib parts for the blower and it was about $550 with the hardware. I know Holley sells the LS7 drive for the 6 rib which would be alternator bracket alternator power steering and etc for around $700 I think and your up and running minus a/c. I have all the GM part numbers for just the LSA 8 rib system I can post them if some people would like to save them the headache I've endured the past couple of weeks chasing my tail on how to get a drive system together without breaking the bank having to buy two separate kits
Check out my previous post. The modified lsa FEAD appears to be a C5/C6 (LS1/2/3) Corvette alt/ps bracket and accessories with a couple extra brackets/tensioner/pulleys for the blower. I was able to source all the corvette stuff gently used locally and you can purchase the Blower parts separately on eBay (like I did). It’s also WAYYYY cheaper to do it this way.

Just look up the GM part number on summit. Download the instructions and all the part numbers you need are in there. I sourced my own bolts since the cost on those add up quick if you buy them new.

Just trying to figure out the AC so I can ditch my LSX Concepts stuff.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 10:13 PM
Tech Team
J

I should’ve added your going to need an LSA water pump and harmonic balancer to make it work. I already had those so that wasn’t a big deal for me
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 10:17 PM
Tech Team
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC66 View Post
Not sure if you tried Pace Performance for the GM stuff. They have a lot in stock. And they had better pricing on some things than I could get at the Chevy dealer I worked at.

Don
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes I've dealt with Pace before really good guys to deal with, the real reason I called the dealership was to get the exact break down and part numbers cause I knew there were some brackets for the idler pulleys. NorCalSS, I'm pretty sure Wayne at Kwik performance makes a a/c bracket that uses a Sanderson compressor which is compatible with Vintage air. Just so I'm understanding you correctly you bought the Corvette c6 drive system then pieced the blower system parts? I have the LSA water pump and crank pulley already on the motor but that's it. I have no accessory parts at all so basically I'm starting from scratch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191123_162842_1582690483109.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	4.13 MB
ID:	617700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191123_162831_1582690536569.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	617702  
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 11:50 PM
Tech Team
J

Yes that’s correct. You can find the parts list break down on the instructions for the LSA drive. I found instructions on summit racing. When I dug into it I realized the alt/ps part of the modified kit is basically just a Corvette FEAD. The kit is priced high because a brand new corvette alternator and PS pump are expensive. I saved a few bucks on that part of it. Plus, like you mentioned it seems to be out of stock or maybe even discontinued anyways. The blower drive parts can be purchased individually.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 9:58 AM
Tech Team

I ran a comparison of the Corvette kit vs the modified LSA kit and it looks like there's some parts that are different like the belt and tensioner. I'm not sure why you'd need a different power steering reservoir an the Alt connector doesn't come in the Corvette kit.

Here's the list

Part
Number Description Qty
11518630 BOLT/SCREW BELT IDLER PUL 2
11571051 BOLT/SCREW-DRV BELT TENSR 2
11588742 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT TENSR BRKT 1
11588745 BOLT/SCREW 1
11588749 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT TENSR BRKT 2
11588753 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT TENSR 1
11589311 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT IDLER PUL BRKT 1
11610074 BOLT/SCREW-SPCHG BELT IDLER PUL BRKT 3
12606031 PULLEY ASM-SPCHG BELT IDLER 1
12606032 PULLEY ASM-SPCHG BELT IDLER 1
12606500 BRACKET-SPCHG BELT TENSR 1
12606501 BRACKET-SPCHG BELT IDLER PUL 1
12616673 BELT-W/PMP & GEN & P/S PUMP 1
12622452 TENSIONER ASM-SPCHG BELT 1
12628025 TENSIONER ASM-DRV BELT 1
12636227 BELT-SPCHG 1
15306009 CONNECTOR-GEN 1
22768353 RESERVOIR-P/S PUMP 1

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 12:13 PM
Tech Team
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
I ran a comparison of the Corvette kit vs the modified LSA kit and it looks like there's some parts that are different like the belt and tensioner. I'm not sure why you'd need a different power steering reservoir an the Alt connector doesn't come in the Corvette kit...
Yes, all correct. The PS pulley is smaller to allow better fitment on older cars (better steering box clearance). This explains the shorter belt as well. The tensioner I believe is to allow it to work with the LSA brackets. And the Alt connector is assuming you need to adapt to non-Corvette wiring. Otherwise it’s pretty much the same. Same Corvette spacing, etc. The modified LSA kit also comes with 2 PS reservoirs. This allows the installer some flexibility on how/where to install the reservoir. It doesn’t look like the Corvette placement of the reservoir will work with the blower throttle body/intake plumbing.

Last edited by NorCal-SS; Feb 26th, 20 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in