Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger? - Chevelle Tech
LSx Engine Discuss the LSx engine & associated components here.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wyattroa
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 31
Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

I have a 2006 6.0 L LS create motor that I want to super charge in the near future. My question is what manufacturer is the best choice in power/ dollar. My preference would be not to get deep in the internals if possible as it only has 300 miles on it, camshaft change for sure.

Thanks
CDN67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Firestone, CO
Posts: 1,127
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

In the late 2000s I had an '06 GTO and guys were raving about the Magnusson on stock engines. There were a lot of Prochargers too but those seemed to go best with forged cranks and pistons.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
Tommy the Cat is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 5:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

My plan is a Whipple kit right now, but have time to get it best figured out.
CDN67 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 9:42 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 348
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

Are your running a stock hood? If so make sure you have clearance. A maggie tvs2300 with jackshaft just barely clears. By the way I went maggie because you can overdrive them more without exceeding the bearing specs on the supercharger.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...6&d=1478871079

Take a look at post 51 on my build thread.

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rpol78 is online now  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 7:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 93
Garage
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

The OEM piston top ring end gap is too small for a forced induction (or nitrous) power adder. I highly recommend opening up the top ring gap to something around 0.028" to minimize the chances of the ring ends butting together from the extra heat the s/c will create. If the ring ends do butt up against each other, they will jam the piston in the cylinder and lead to a pretty ugly sequence of destruction! If the block is iron, I'd also consider using ARP head studs instead of the GM head bolts if you do pull the heads to fix the ring end gaps. If the block is aluminum, the ARP studs might distort the block a couple thousandths requiring a slight overbore and new pistons...
pannetron is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 9:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpol78 View Post
Are your running a stock hood? If so make sure you have clearance. A maggie tvs2300 with jackshaft just barely clears. By the way I went maggie because you can overdrive them more without exceeding the bearing specs on the supercharger.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...6&d=1478871079

Take a look at post 51 on my build thread.
Thanks for the info. I was going to run the Holley front bias mount but after your post think the rear bias are the ones to use with all the Holley mounts so I can get it under the stock SS hood.
CDN67 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 9:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
The OEM piston top ring end gap is too small for a forced induction (or nitrous) power adder. I highly recommend opening up the top ring gap to something around 0.028" to minimize the chances of the ring ends butting together from the extra heat the s/c will create. If the ring ends do butt up against each other, they will jam the piston in the cylinder and lead to a pretty ugly sequence of destruction! If the block is iron, I'd also consider using ARP head studs instead of the GM head bolts if you do pull the heads to fix the ring end gaps. If the block is aluminum, the ARP studs might distort the block a couple thousandths requiring a slight overbore and new pistons...
Good info, thanks. I have a 2006 6.0 LS2 motor aluminum block.
CDN67 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 19, 10:29 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 348
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

You might want to take a look at the corvette forum or the camaro5 forum. There's alot of builds out there running stock lower ends with pretty decent hp numbers. It comes down to how much boost you want to run. There's guys out there running 600+ RWHP with stock rotating assemblies.

Here's an article you might want to read

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/...rviving-boost/

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rpol78 is online now  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 4:50 PM
Tech Team
Robert
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 294
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

I am building my 66 now, I decided to go with an LSA supercharger. Going to run a 2.5 pulley and should have enough power for anything I want to do.
pannetron likes this.
wyattroa is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
I am building my 66 now, I decided to go with an LSA supercharger. Going to run a 2.5 pulley and should have enough power for anything I want to do.
Sounds like a cool build. The Holly tech line told me that the rear bias mount should clear the blower under a stock SS hood. Iím gonna go to Magnuson blower as I can change of pulleys out and increase the boost with slight case clearancing.
CDN67 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 19, 1:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 1,524
Garage
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN67 View Post
Sounds like a cool build. The Holly tech line told me that the rear bias mount should clear the blower under a stock SS hood. Iím gonna go to Magnuson blower as I can change of pulleys out and increase the boost with slight case clearancing.
Why not turbo it ? A single turbo can be an awesome dradstrip setup but I would change pistons fer sure

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
nashville beth is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 19, 1:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 31
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Why not turbo it ? A single turbo can be an awesome dradstrip setup but I would change pistons fer sure
I have always loved the idea of twin turbo set ups, but the fabrication, part choices and street ability/heat is a concern. The car will not be a drag strip car so I feel supercharging may be the best way to go al5ough turbos are the way to make bigger power.
CDN67 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 3:41 PM
Tech Team
Sebas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 50
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

I own a 403 stroker since 2 months and looking to add a power adder

Just can't decide if I go with the Vortech V7 ysi on the Whipple 2.9 ??

1971 Chevelle SS Clone, 403 LS Stroker
bodomram07 is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 3:12 AM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 348
Re: Whipple/Magnusson or other supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodomram07 View Post
I own a 403 stroker since 2 months and looking to add a power adder

Just can't decide if I go with the Vortech V7 ysi on the Whipple 2.9 ??
Here's a Kenne Bell article that may help. It depends on where you want the HP/Torque.

Twin Screw vs. Centrifugal / Acceleration vs. Boost | Kenne Bell

Here's one from Redline Motorsports

https://www.redline-motorsports.net/...s-centrifugal/

67 Chevelle
58 Vette
69 Camaro

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rpol78 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome